Mouse in the house (well, apartment)

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
A mouse made a nest between the storm door and entrance door going into the basement, I had to remove the nest today, can't have rodents in the house. I draw the line with rodents, spiders, snakes and politicians trying to get into the house.

reactor99

Tele-Meister
The little Tootsie Rolls make a good bait for snap traps; you can press it down pretty good so they can't snatch it w/o triggering the trap

tele-rain

Friend of Leo's
Lots More replies since I last checked in...thanks guys!

So now I’m concerned with the bait boxes I did get, that they will eat the bait and go off and die in the walls somewhere leaving me with a stink. So far the best route that’s been suggested is to try that electric zapper trap. I will look into those, but gonna keep these down until I do so.

With regards to the glue traps, That just sounds way too cruel to me. And it’s possible if they’re stuck and not dead, I certainly don’t want to see it or hear it crying out for help. And with the ones that crush their head as they go for the bait, it may be quicker for them but I have seen pics of them in three trap and don’t really want to encounter that in person. I realize it’s going to happen with the dead mice I do manage to catch, if any, but having it in a box is a bit easier to my senses.

Gonna get some more supplies this weekend. I still want to try and seal up cracks that I can get to to prevent them from coming and going as they please. Onward I go!!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I posted earlier of our dealings.

I believe these are the kind I used in the garage.
You just put along walls and the mouses just
run in the hole. No food or anything in there, just open
cave.
mouse1.JPG
Check every so often. You can just
pick up and let them out outside in field.
I forgot I had them around garage once,
and ya, I smelled something, I went duh!

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
We had a mouse problem a few years ago, not super bad... we used live catch traps baited with peanut butter...caught several over several weeks, took them several miles away and released them in the middle of nowhere...for whatever reason, no more have returned...which is pretty amazing, since my backyard backs up to a 300+ acre farm

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
Long story ahead but wanted to give the full novel...

Last year sometime, the exterminator came for the monthly visit (as we have in the building) and asked if i was seeing any “activity”, which I wasn’t. He did his spraying and went to my neighbor, and I heard them discussing traps. That jogged my memory to one night where I thought I saw something quickly run from under the chair next to the couch, and back again. I thought it was my mind playing tricks, but since the exterminator said that, I moved the chair and some boxes out of the way and sure enough there were droppings. I called him back in and he confirmed, told me to clean/sanitize, and he put a bait bag down. He said check it every so often and if it’s been chewed into, that means the mouse ate the poison, wandered off somewhere and died (eww, and awww). If it wasn’t chewed up, he probably wasn’t back then (yay!?)

Side note, there is construction happening across the street from my building. There are also two restaurants on the corner of my building, not directly next to, but a few buildings down. And my building is pretty old. All of this plus never knowing what goes on in all the surrounding neighbors apartments, I fully understand that it’s totally easy to have unwanted guests. It’s probably more shocking when someone doesn’t in these dwellings. However, I want to keep them out of MY space.

Back to the saga...I did as he said and monitored it for weeks, the bag was not bit into at all and I saw no evidence of droppings. Yay! Next time the exterminator came, it was a different guy (ugh). I updated him, he took the untouched trap and moved it to another suspect place, in my kitchen behind the sink. There is a gap between the cabinet and the wall, and the back wall that has pipes going through has a big gaping hole. So I check that every so often with a flashlight, but I can’t really tell if it’s eaten into, I’d have to nudge it out with a broom stick.

Moving along, things were fine until one day I cleaned an area in my kitchen that had some boxes and an old microwave sitting there, and found some droppings. Not a lot, maybe like 5. I cleaned & sanitized up that area pretty well. I’ve also been putting down peppermint oil along the borders of the apartment because I’ve read it helps repel them. This is a plus and minus because my apartment smells like a peppermint stick, but now the smell of peppermint reminds me of mice.

Now, the exterminator used to come the second Saturday of the month. Last May, there was a notice in the hallways that he would now come the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5pm. The first time I stayed home from work, but haven’t done so since. So to my knowledge, my apartment has not been treated since May, which is another issue. But I’m going to try and be home for the next few visits.

Moving along again, to most current sighting...last week I was eating, I saw something small run along the baseboard behind the TV, and got lost behind the pipe in the corner. There is no hole back there, but behind the radiator there is a crack in the baseboard. Also in the ceiling there is a hole where the pipe goes through. I suspect these are points of entry. Ugh.

I texted the super to ask him to contact the exterminator because I saw something, and he said, it doesn’t work that way, the exterminator comes 2nd Thursday of the month. I can get you glue traps...” I replied back that I’m not home those times and my apartment clearly hasn’t been treated in months, to which he never replied. Long story, but I know enough about this place that he’s not going to give a crap, I pay cheap rent and unless it’s a huge infestation, they’re not gonna give a crap. And I’m not into making a big stink about things, again because my rent is hella cheap. The landlord is a decent guy from what I can tell, he only raises my rent about $10-20 each year. And when he’s Had to maintain stuff in my apartment, he always thanks for for keeping a clean place.

So I am trying to take matters into my own hands. I researched a bit more and got my own bait traps. I put one in the corner behind the chair where I originally saw droppings, and one inside the kitchen cabinet where the pipes are. Not sure if I should put more yet or see how this goes for now. It doesn’t seem like a huge problem, just a minor unwanted guest who passes through every so often. I have never seen any evidence of them being around the food in my pantry, which I find most odd, but thank God! Is this mouse anorexic, or is he just passing through? In any case, I want to take all the steps needed to keep him/them out before it becomes more of an issue. Hence, the traps. I also bought steel wool and caulk, and began to wedge them into the cracks where I saw the initial droppings. However I did not get a caulking gun, so gonna have to wait on that and get the squeezable tube. I plan to seal up wherever I can.

I also bought these supposed ultrasonic repellents (see photo). I haven’t plugged them in anywhere yet, was looking for information on these. Are they BS? Is it something I would be affected by in any way? I have no pets or children, so none of this stuff is a hazard to anyone else in my space except the unwanted guests. So should I plug one or two in and see how it goes? Or wait to see if the traps catch anything yet for a few weeks?

Sorry this is kinda long, but just looking for some advice/reassurance.

They work!

dickey

Friend of Leo's
I opted for the bait box because I really do not want to see the dead rodent, this thing has a clear cover so I’ll be able to see through there it it catches any and toss it out as needed. I think you can reuse the box, but I’ll probably toss the whole dang thing out. We shall see!
The rodent doesn't die in the box; it is just to keep kids,pets, & rain away from the bait.
BTW I am an exterminator. Avoid using poison because if it dies in the walls, you're gonna smell it for a long time.

tele-rain

Friend of Leo's
Ok enough of you guys have suggested this to be the case so I’m going to nix the idea of the bait box. I may opt for the electrocution one but in the meantime get the snap traps. I guess I’ll have to (wo)man up and just deal with the dead critters!

I’ve been devising a new plan. I’m going to become a cult leader. Entice them into one location, make that place a welcoming spot for them so they keep coming back. Maybe line the walls with peanut butter? Then when they’ve gained all my trust, I will plan an elaborate mass suicide. Do mice like kool aid?

Warren Pederson

Friend of Leo's
use only traps in your abode. If you use poison they will go back to where they are nesting (chewed through a cardboard box in a closet or storage area?) and they will die. And stink. Their bodies dry up and stink. You can't get rid of the smell. Keep the traps going for 2 months even after you think you got them all. There are babies back at their nesting place and the youngsters breed at 37 days old. Yes, 37 days old.

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I like this thing.

I hate snappy things. Glue traps seem kind of mean to me. Plus this has blinking lights.
I have found it also will zap large insects. I recommend putting the peanut butter bait on a little piece of paper in the back of the unit. It's positive, quiet, safe for people, re settable by flipping the switch, easy to clean, works in a garage or a home.

Home depot, amazon etc.
rat-zapper-animal-rodent-control-rzc001-4-64_1000.jpg

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ok enough of you guys have suggested this to be the case so I’m going to nix the idea of the bait box. I may opt for the electrocution one but in the meantime get the snap traps. I guess I’ll have to (wo)man up and just deal with the dead critters!

I’ve been devising a new plan. I’m going to become a cult leader. Entice them into one location, make that place a welcoming spot for them so they keep coming back. Maybe line the walls with peanut butter? Then when they’ve gained all my trust, I will plan an elaborate mass suicide. Do mice like kool aid?
The grape kool-aid has worked in the past.

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
My daughter brought Jazzy back from LA and I got stuck with her. I could do without the hair and "maintenance". But she holds up her end of the conversation and mice aren't a problem. She's a killing machine!
20191025_195207.jpg

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Peanut butter in mouse traps best.
Also those no kill put in corner aluminum boxes work.
Do not use poison. They will eat it, die, and if they go
somewhere you cant get to, you have stink for month.
Been there done that.
lol

Yep, peanut butter on old school spring traps.

Cheap and never fails.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted

Yup, I use those in my garage. Actually, I have two out there, in hopes of getting them before they decide to enter the house. I can clearly see they have been taking the bait, but still occasionally catch a mouse in my basement in one of two 'Kill Instantly" black plastic, house type traps made by D-Con. These traps are very easy to bait with peanut butter and set easily without getting your finger slammed on. Very nice traps that work every time and are re-usable.