Mouse in the house (well, apartment)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:18 PM.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Absolutely. These things are great. If you’re using them in the house and you just have mice it’s fine.

Outside though, they do not discriminate. Which means that chipmunks and little field mice outside are killed and mine even killed a squirrel onetime. I did not feel good about any of those.

Mine uses 4D batteries though.

Maybe I got the turbo rat model
    ?

Stringbanger likes this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

https://www.victorpest.com/rat-zapper-ultra-rat-trap-bbrzu001

Works on Red Squirrels....I'm guessing it wold work fine on mice too.

I'm actually in need of a new one....I believe my 6 year old one may have died....

This has caused several Red Squirrels to walk the Green Mile.
    Couldn't turn down peanuts in the shell (and really....can you blame them? )

I won't go into the gory details, but suffice to say, the product worked exactly as advertised.
    One second Mr. Red Squirrel was probably thinking about what a nice coincidence that all these peanuts just happen to fall
    from the sky, and land right in his favorite attic......the next.....he was riding the lightning.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

That owl photograph makes me sad.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

i have had two mice in my house recently... have 3 cats but only the declawed one is a hunter(go figure). Anywho, we had this mouse and he was hunting it quite a bit. finally, one night... he was freaking out on the bed. I jumped up and told my wife "there is a mouse on the bed". I just knew. She didn't believe me but got up anyway... then slowing pulling the covers back I exposed its tail. she freaked. I grabbed the tail, took it outside and threw it over the fence into the park.
    Then about 6 months later the cat was hunting again. (he was just camping on the stove... watching it like a hawk). Figured I'd have him on the bed some night... but it never came. Cut to a week or so later... wife screams... she found dead decomposing mouse in the covers. must have been there for a few days. Guessing the cat brought him to my wife again, and had wounded him enough that he died.
    Long story long... get a declawed cat!

5. Mike Eskimo

We feed a fox squirrel with one eye and a malformed leg. From our hands !

killing red squirrels? You mean the big fox squirrels? Barbaric.

But, Koreans eat dogs, so what the hell…

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Our cat is worse than useless. She catches live mice outside and tries to bring them into the house. :lol:

7. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

https://www.creaturecontrol.net/animal-removal/squirrels/

Red Squirrel

The red squirrel is the most destructive squirrel by far and is the most frequent squirrel to get into the home. They have orange fur like the fox squirrel, but can be distinguished from the fox squirrel by its white belly; they also are much smaller than the fox squirrel. The red squirrel can and will chew through anything; here in the office we refer to them as “chainsaws with paws.” They are constantly looking for nooks and crannies in which to hide their food and are much more persistent than other squirrels in finding and exploiting entry points. Their habit of constantly biting and chewing make them the most destructive of the four Michigan species.

Red Squirrel removal is very common in shoreline communities such as Holland and Muskegon. This is because the western shoreline communities of Michigan have an abundance of pine trees that fail to adequately support other species of squirrels that do not properly digest pine cone seeds, resulting in an plentiful red squirrel population.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Mike,

I’m pretty sure I got the idea from you from a mouse thread that I started a few months back. Thank you for that! I use mine in the garage. It’s an old garage with no insulation, and plenty of mouse holes. The building, which is detached from our house, was formerly a carriage house, so I’m thinking late 1800s- early 1900s.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I believe mice have very sensitive ears, so crank up an amp and play your guitar real loud!!!
    with distortion, feedback and all - Hendrix style. :twisted::p

Should your neighbours start complaining about the volume, just tell 'em you're doing a service for the community.
    next they'll want encores and be in your fanclub.

win-win ;):)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

Most of the other "deterrents" seemed a little hokey....Playing a radio, wolf urine, human hair, strobe lights ..... ummm...yea...... I've lived in apartments like that......never deterred me.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The regular wire snap traps are the best if you just have a few mice. Chunky peanut butter with a hard peanut wedged in the little metal trigger's coil
    If a lot of mice, a Tin Cat works well as it will continuously catch them but they are left alive and you may or may not want that project

Rather than steel wool and caulk for that sink gap, get a can of expanding foam "Great Stuff!" as that will fill and they don't seem to want to chew it.

This channel is interesting for all the historical gizmos that have been built and sold as "a better mousetrap".

Or a bucket trap

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

That's because she thinks you're an incompetent hunter. She's trying to show you how to do it.

Deeve likes this.
  13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Nah, she's the incompetent one. She never kills them; she just plays with them until they escape from her. And guess who has to catch them when they do...

She's lucky she's cute.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

an old spring trap..and bacon rind! as bait... forget PB, it never works here, they nibble it off without springing the trap... Bacon works within minutes they can't resist it..they have to tug a bit harder on the bacon rind and it sets the trap off more regularly, I hold it on with a small rubber band, one bit will catch the whole family.........:twisted:

16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a BB gun - its a lot of fun and doesn't leave holes in the wall like my old .22 did .

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Poor little Mickey and Jerry!:(:lol:

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Multiple hawks, owls, and neighborhood cats patrol in my yard. My cats patrol in the house. Haven't seen a sign of a rodent in nearly 20 years.

19. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Let's identify how the little critter got in shall we?

20. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Glue traps for sure. Walmart carries them. I got one last winter in the basement. Wouldn't have a problem upstairs on the main floor because we have a Yorkiepoo. She's a natural-born killer. By that, I mean Yorkies are terriers and were bred, I think, to kill rodents. She doesn't go down into the basement though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.