Mouse in the house (well, apartment)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:18 PM.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Long story ahead but wanted to give the full novel...

Last year sometime, the exterminator came for the monthly visit (as we have in the building) and asked if i was seeing any “activity”, which I wasn’t. He did his spraying and went to my neighbor, and I heard them discussing traps. That jogged my memory to one night where I thought I saw something quickly run from under the chair next to the couch, and back again. I thought it was my mind playing tricks, but since the exterminator said that, I moved the chair and some boxes out of the way and sure enough there were droppings. I called him back in and he confirmed, told me to clean/sanitize, and he put a bait bag down. He said check it every so often and if it’s been chewed into, that means the mouse ate the poison, wandered off somewhere and died (eww, and awww). If it wasn’t chewed up, he probably wasn’t back then (yay!?)

Side note, there is construction happening across the street from my building. There are also two restaurants on the corner of my building, not directly next to, but a few buildings down. And my building is pretty old. All of this plus never knowing what goes on in all the surrounding neighbors apartments, I fully understand that it’s totally easy to have unwanted guests. It’s probably more shocking when someone doesn’t in these dwellings. However, I want to keep them out of MY space.

Back to the saga...I did as he said and monitored it for weeks, the bag was not bit into at all and I saw no evidence of droppings. Yay! Next time the exterminator came, it was a different guy (ugh). I updated him, he took the untouched trap and moved it to another suspect place, in my kitchen behind the sink. There is a gap between the cabinet and the wall, and the back wall that has pipes going through has a big gaping hole. So I check that every so often with a flashlight, but I can’t really tell if it’s eaten into, I’d have to nudge it out with a broom stick.

Moving along, things were fine until one day I cleaned an area in my kitchen that had some boxes and an old microwave sitting there, and found some droppings. Not a lot, maybe like 5. I cleaned & sanitized up that area pretty well. I’ve also been putting down peppermint oil along the borders of the apartment because I’ve read it helps repel them. This is a plus and minus because my apartment smells like a peppermint stick, but now the smell of peppermint reminds me of mice.

Now, the exterminator used to come the second Saturday of the month. Last May, there was a notice in the hallways that he would now come the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5pm. The first time I stayed home from work, but haven’t done so since. So to my knowledge, my apartment has not been treated since May, which is another issue. But I’m going to try and be home for the next few visits.

Moving along again, to most current sighting...last week I was eating, I saw something small run along the baseboard behind the TV, and got lost behind the pipe in the corner. There is no hole back there, but behind the radiator there is a crack in the baseboard. Also in the ceiling there is a hole where the pipe goes through. I suspect these are points of entry. Ugh.

I texted the super to ask him to contact the exterminator because I saw something, and he said, it doesn’t work that way, the exterminator comes 2nd Thursday of the month. I can get you glue traps...” I replied back that I’m not home those times and my apartment clearly hasn’t been treated in months, to which he never replied. Long story, but I know enough about this place that he’s not going to give a crap, I pay cheap rent and unless it’s a huge infestation, they’re not gonna give a crap. And I’m not into making a big stink about things, again because my rent is hella cheap. The landlord is a decent guy from what I can tell, he only raises my rent about $10-20 each year. And when he’s Had to maintain stuff in my apartment, he always thanks for for keeping a clean place.

So I am trying to take matters into my own hands. I researched a bit more and got my own bait traps. I put one in the corner behind the chair where I originally saw droppings, and one inside the kitchen cabinet where the pipes are. Not sure if I should put more yet or see how this goes for now. It doesn’t seem like a huge problem, just a minor unwanted guest who passes through every so often. I have never seen any evidence of them being around the food in my pantry, which I find most odd, but thank God! Is this mouse anorexic, or is he just passing through? In any case, I want to take all the steps needed to keep him/them out before it becomes more of an issue. Hence, the traps. I also bought steel wool and caulk, and began to wedge them into the cracks where I saw the initial droppings. However I did not get a caulking gun, so gonna have to wait on that and get the squeezable tube. I plan to seal up wherever I can.

I also bought these supposed ultrasonic repellents (see photo). I haven’t plugged them in anywhere yet, was looking for information on these. Are they BS? Is it something I would be affected by in any way? I have no pets or children, so none of this stuff is a hazard to anyone else in my space except the unwanted guests. So should I plug one or two in and see how it goes? Or wait to see if the traps catch anything yet for a few weeks?

Sorry this is kinda long, but just looking for some advice/reassurance.

Attached Files:

Alamo likes this.
  2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

since i moved out to the country, i have zero tolerance for those things... probably get a dozen a year. glue traps work the best. it's not a very nice way to go... but they've gotta go...

3. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

All I know is that there is never just a mouse...it’s always many mice.

brbadg and tele-rain like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Go watch the "Mousetrap Monday" channel on YouTube.

swingtime and tele-rain like this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I read “moose”. This thread is not as interesting as I thought it was gonna be...

6. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Torren61, Chunkocaster and tele-rain like this.
  7. tele-rain

well yes but that doesn’t rhyme ;)

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I’ve always found the good old fashioned mouse trap is the best solution. The kind that has a spring that slams the little critter right across his spinal cord. It’s cheap, quick, and efficient. I don’t like the glue traps. They seem like a cruel way to go. The animal slowly and painfully suffocates. There’s no love loss between me and vermin, but it’s just not cool for animals to suffer unnecessarily.

9. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

When we discovered evidence of mice, we got a cat. The mice stay far away - no joke

10. tele-rain

I opted for the bait box because I really do not want to see the dead rodent, this thing has a clear cover so I’ll be able to see through there it it catches any and toss it out as needed. I think you can reuse the box, but I’ll probably toss the whole dang thing out. We shall see!

frankg11 and 8barlouie like this.
  11. tele-rain

We are not allowed pets in the building...otherwise i would consider that! But pets are a pricey expense that I can’t really afford...food, medical, etc. I mean if I had one I’d budget for it, but it’s not an option with the no let policy.

This is the trap I got.

Attached Files:

Recce and Telecastoff1 like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Peanut butter in mouse traps best.
    Also those no kill put in corner aluminum boxes work.
    Do not use poison. They will eat it, die, and if they go
    somewhere you cant get to, you have stink for month.
    Been there done that.
    lol

13. tele-rain

does that include this box thing? It’s my assumption they get in there eat the bait and die, but maybe it’s not immediate? Anyone have any experience with these things?
    https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/p...M/Shopping/G_Tomcat_Rodent_Shopping_DTC_Brand

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

In the woods I have problems regularly. "No kill" traps catch them, but they seem to come back. When I get fed up I use a spring kill trap with peanut butter in it. They come out while we are watching tv regularly and scurry across the kitchen floor. I think I had a whole family this year as I killed about 6. Finally they are gone. I shudder to think what's back in the depths of some closets. Old nests probably. Too many guitars in front of one closet so I'm not going there. Once they nested in the back of my underwear drawer. Ruined clothes and piss and terds everywhere.
    Once they nested in the glove box of my truck shredding all the registration and docs.
    PLEASE DO NOT USE POISON. It kills owls, hawks and raptors. They say now that 40% of dead raptors found are from rat poison.
    Years ago I used to use poison under the house. Then I found this big beautiful owl dead 10 feet from my door one morning. Never will use it again.

[​IMG]

15. tele-rain

This poison is in a box in a small 2nd floor apartment in a city dwelling...I don’t think any owls or raptors can get to it. If so, I have a way bigger issue than I anticipated!

Gaz_ and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I haven't had a mouse in da house in maybe 20 years, but what always worked for me was the good old snap trap with a little peanut butter. Got 'em every time, and when you hear it snap, you know it's done its job.

P Thought, tintag27 and 8barlouie like this.
  17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Get a pack of snap traps at the hardware store. Not the kind with fake cheese platforms (which I guess are okay if you use peanut butter), but the kind with metal prongs for bait. I use Sopressata (not the soft uncured kind but the dry chewy kind). Use latex gloves because your scent on the trap might be a problem. Place the traps perpendicular to the wall - they like to walk along walls to get from place to place. Set three traps you'll have your bugger in 24 hours. Then set them again.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have had seasonal mouse problems for the past year or two, they were sending me broke having to buy box after box of poison. I used a electronic plug in sonic device that was supposed to keep them away aimed at a box of poison but they still ate the whole thing and came back for more.
    I'm in a large city so no real threat to wildlife. They were all killed off many decades ago.

19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Better than this suggestion above, buy a Raticator. It’s a rectangular plastic box, and you put 4 double AA batteries in it. Then put bait in it. The mice go into it and get electrocuted. Easy clean up, and you don’t have to touch the mouse.

I have one. They work. Downside: batteries last about 3-4 months.

Amazon is currently out of stock on these.
    I forget how much it cost, but I’m sure it was under 50 clams.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Like others have said, get a few standard mouse snap traps, the spring-loaded metal arm type.
    Then either learn to empty the trap - or throw them out as SO many people do.
    Really, you should learn to empty the trap, and reuse it.

I agree with not using poison, I to have seen birds of prey killed by rodent poison.
    At one time there was a triple-kill product available to various industries. It would kill the rodent, whatever ate the dead rodent, and whatever ate the other dead thing.

Also as mentioned some "poisons" will allow the rodent to die and stink where you can't get to them, but can smell them.
    I think their may be a "no odor" poison available currently. I'm sure it does something really bad to the rodent, other than death.
    So, steer clear of poisons. Not good for the environment.

My Aunt was really good with a broom, I can't count the number of times I saw her ninja like skills terminate the ever present farm house mice.
    She's bad ass!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.