Mounting rings for Wide Range Humbuckers?

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I recently acquired a pair of the CuNiFe wide range reissues that Fender is making now, and will be routing a standard tele body for them to go in. There is no standard template for a pickguard for the combination of a solid body tele, a standard switchplate, and wide ranges. Fortunately I've got a good tech I trust that does excellent custom work.

I'm trying to figure out how the bridge pickup is going to work. It seems most tele builds with humbuckers in the bridge have either a mounting ring, or a bridge that doubles as a mount.

A cursory google search seems to indicate that the only mounting rings on earth for wide ranges are offered by Lollar, but they only come in black. While that isn't the end of the world, if there were another option, either cream, or some other way to make it work, I'd love to hear it.

Has anyone ever tried a project like this? Suggestions?

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Mike Doolin did an article in American Lutherie about making molds for casting pickup mounting rings - I think he was trying to make some 7 string humbuckers. I could look for it if that is what you need.

Also it would be helpful if you posted the different dimensions for the rings you want vs a standard ring. LMII is machining some incredible wood rings (which I have used on several guitars) - you might call them with your needs and ask if they could make them for you.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I think the Fender W.R. is somewhere around 79mm X 45mm, much bigger than a Gibson type humbucker.

edit: They are too wide to fit in a standard Tele bridge plate, so you'll need to go to a Tele "half bridge" or something along that line.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
You could fashion your own from standard pick guard material.

Pretty much unlimited color options.

For a Tele, the flat rings work out well, you don't need the thicker type of mounting ring like on a Les Paul.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just overlay a regular Tele guard on top of a Deluxe guard, draw your line and trim away.