Mounting P90 in neck position Tele.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Solex, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Solex

Solex TDPRI Member

Currently working with a Squier Tele. body that has a cutout for a Humbucker in the neck position. Rather than go this way I would like to investigate using a P90 in this cavity. Unfortunately don’t have any experience with these pickups and am not certain if the soap bar or the dog eared style would fit, or how they are mounted. This plan would feature a single coil in the bridge and a P90 in the neck of the guitar

Please give me your opinions or experience with this Tele pickup combination and which P90 could be mounted in the neck position?

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I love a good P-90 in the neck position of a Tele. But if the route is for a humbucker, you'll either have to enlarge the route for a soapbar P-90 or buy a "P-90" in a humbucker size. Lots of folks make those, and they can get you close to a P-90 sound, though it won't be dead-on (since dimensions, construction, and the like are a part of the P-90 sound).

3. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Soap bar because you want the adjustment. All you need is a pickguard cut for a P90 and a P90, the hole is already there. I prefer a fairly low wind, low to mid 7s. Higher output gets muddy fast.

You'll need 3 3/8" end to end for a soap bar P90. Most of those bodies with factory routes are that generous. Check it out. You might have to remove a small amount of wood with some humbucker routes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    dougstrum likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It depends on the rout. I was able to fit it a soapbar P90 into the HB rout on my SX Tele without any additional routing.

20180511_105723.jpg

bender66 and Vibrolux59 like this.
  5. ackypoo

ackypoo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

6. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

If possible, I'd try to play a guitar or two with P90's beforehand. They may not be your cup of tea.

7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Kinman makes a "hum free" P90 that is as close as I could get to the stock P90 that came in my Reverend guitar. But it was a tight fit.
    The nice thing about the Kinman web site is there are links to the install instructions that give all the exact measurements for installing his pickups.
    I love the sound, and I love the reduced hum. He refuses to call them "noiseless" because technically (according to his own explanation) they are not noiseless. They greatly reduce the hum. I put mine in the neck position of my Reverend Double Agent and I love it.

8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I agree with the soapbar. Might fit might need a minor trim. Great combination. I actually prefer it to a humbucker in the neck.
    IMG_1831.JPG

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

If you want a smaller sized P90 you could use a TV Jones T-90 filtertron size.

It's what's in my guitar, you'd just need to buy a pickguard with a filtertron cutout which shouldn't be hard to find.

10. Solex

Solex TDPRI Member

Thanks very much for the replies, do have that 3 3/8 room so will go with the P90 in the neck!

11. bluespenny

bluespenny TDPRI Member

Fender Aerodyne Telecaster comes like that stock. Great guitar.

12. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat is a P-90 in humbucker size.

Mincer likes this.
  13. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

I have a Lollar soapbar in a thin line style tele and it is by far the best sounding pickup in all the guitars I have. Seems to just have more of everything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.