Mounting neck pup on tele body?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleTown, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

What is the best way to mount the neck pickup on to body so it will line up with 5 hole pickguard?

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

Never thought about that
    I suppose you need a template of some sort. Unless you can set the pickup with clay underneath to hold it in place while marking the holes
    I’m sure there’s a better way and will be interested in finding out

Mimmo_CVC likes this.
  3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

yea, ive tried a couple of ways only to create a few holes in neck rout till I got it right. Gotta be a better way for bedroom tele building.

Gardo likes this.
  4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I've used Gardo's idea with Blutack to hold the pickup. Worked ok. The second time...

I've got to do it again soon and I've been thinking of making a template based around a spare pickguard I have that's already drilled for neck pickup mounting screws. So I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Edit: I’ve just done some searching here on TDPRI and most people seem to recommend one of the two methods already suggested here. (Ron Kirn said trial and error and have some cocktail sticks handy to plug the wrong holes.)

The only other method that comes up frequently is to put a piece of foam under the p/u so that the mounting holes aren’t covered. Put the p/u in the rout and fit the pickguard to locate the p/u in the rout. Holding on to the p/u, carefully remove the pickguard, push the p/u down to compress the foam as much as poss and mark through the mounting holes into the body rout with a bradawl or thin nail. Drill pilot holes as usual. Don’t drill them too deep! Plug and repeat if necessary.

I reckon the pickguard/template using a drill press to keep the drill vertical will be my first choice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Corvus and Gardo like this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

Let’s hope Freeman Keller sees this

TeleTown likes this.
  6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I acquired an old aluminum pickguard with holes to hang the pickup from the guard years ago. I screw it to the body with three screws take it to the drill press drill two perfectly aligned pilot holes.

Rowdyman, TeleTown and WingedWords like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also use the method of having two pick guards. I have a template drilled with the mounting holes on it, I drill those starter holes when I drill my PG holes.

I am then able to use either the five hole without a pickup screw or a PG with a pick guard screw.

TeleTown likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I screw the wood screws all the way into the pickup, and use the points to transfer marks to the bottom of the rout. Place the pickup by using the pickguard, and help it stay upright with packing tape stuck to the cover, and used as a 'handle'.

I like the separate pickguard template, and I'll probably do that next time, but for one Tele, it's overkill, I think. Though, is there ever really just one Tele?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.