1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mounting a goldfoil pickup on a pre-routed body

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by stale facet, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stale facet

stale facet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've looked on the forum and online, but haven't found a good answer.

The partscaster I'm building has a Curtis Novak goldfoil going into the neck position. The body I bought was pre-routed for a regular lipstick neck pickup.

What's the better solution for mounting the pickup:
    - putting the goldfoil on top of the pickguard (with holes in the pickguard to screw the pickup to the wood of the guitar)

- cutting a hole in the pickguard and routing out below the pickup, then mounting it to either the guitar or pickguard?

Some threads say that the first option isn't great because there's very little room between the strings and the pickup. This looks true already without the pickguard.

I mention the prerouting for the neck pickup because it's why I want to add a pickguard: to cover those spots.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If it is a surface mount pickup like the harmony one or the teisco one, it won't be very thick. I'd make 2 dummy pickguards and try mounting it under and to the other one with screws/ bolts/nuts.

In the pickguard will most likely require a larger rectangular rout where the lipstick rout currently resides. Since it is hidden by a pickguard, theoretically it won't be seen, and you could probably remove the material with a forstner bit and a drill press.

Pickguards look best routed out and that would require a template for best results. It can be done by hand with a hand drill and hand tools, like files and coping saw too.

Did you see this?

https://reverb.com/item/4828234-curtis-novak-gold-foil

You may not need a whole lot of adjustment in the neck position in either case.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

If you want more control over your pickups height/output I'd go for routing a pickguard for the GF and mounting it to that with springs or rubber tubing.

I did that once to an old '71 Teisco Jazzmaster-type guitar with a set of Lowrider pickups from Victory Guitars. they were short enough to get away with top mounting but I wanted to be able to customize the height so I just mounted them like strat pickups. Consider using a different pickguard though in case you want to return to lipstick.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I direct mounted my Teisco type goldfoil to a riser block to fill the neck pickup cavity in my Tele. I also routed out the pickguard to allow more adjustment downward. I don’t know what Novak gold foil type you have you, but I prefer mine close the the strings (but not ‘on top of pickguard’ close. I used a bit of foam below the pickup to adjust the height slightly as needed

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. stale facet

I didn't see that, thanks. The one I chose is this (but with different color choices): https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/goldfoil-gtv/

The two pick guards idea is a good one. Someone else will be making the pickguard, but there are ways I could fake that test here. Probably by taking a pickguard off another guitar.

A similar idea! Yeah, I bought some tubing and springs just in case when I was buying all those other bits.

I tend to think of my pickups as average-close, for lack of a better term. Routing it out like you did might be the way I go. It would be nice to not have to route the guitar and cut a hole in the pickguard after I'm done...especially since I don't have the tools for that.

Thanks, I will share pictures when it's done, if anyone wants to see!

crazydave911 and Bella like this.
  6. BorderRadio

If you know the pickup height you want, then use that to make the decision. I didn’t need to modify much, since the body was routed for a humbucker. I only needed to route the body a little at the corners, pretty shallow, with a Dremel. The riser block was screwed down to the body—that’s what the pickup is mounted to.

A decent job can be done with a drill, keyhole saw, and files. Takes time though...I made mine by hand first, then sent the pattern to Decoboom for the final guard.

4347E353-A6FA-47C7-B15B-860B9853DB10.jpeg

crazydave911, MrGibbly and vhilts1 like this.
  7. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

^^^^^ nice !!! (except for that damn bigsby....lol;))

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

This guitar can dive bomb, stay in tune within a few cents afterwords. A lifer guitar, aka ‘#1’. Oh, yeah, TOAN FOR DAYS lol :)

F16BAB47-623C-4AD7-A463-1B031134DD8A.jpeg

9. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

if u like it thats all that matters

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

When I put 3 P90's in my Strat, I mounted them to the body and cut out the guard to go around them. I'd be surprised if nobody made guards for those these days, they make the P90 for Strat guards now.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I installed a Teisco gold foil on a strat, and it required not only routing the pickguard but a hair off the body as well in order to get the pickup low enough under the strings. A simple template sized to fit the pickup is all that was needed to cleanly rout the pickguard and the body. You'll need a pattern bit with a small enough radius to match the pickup (in other words a standard 1/2" top bearing pattern routing bit will leave too much material in the corners you need to come back with a smaller diameter cutter in order for the pickup to fit in the corners). For a one-off you could hack at it with a jigsaw or coping saw and some files, but the result will probably be consistent with the precision of your methods.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

That is one slick stick! Cool!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. stale facet

Thanks for the pictures and the encouragement. That is a nice guitar...nicer BECAUSE of the bigsby :)

(yes, my build also has a bigsby)

The pickguard template has been sent. Thank you to everyone for the tips on how they made this work on their own builds!

crazydave911 and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.