Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dog Bite, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Should we start a new thread for this idea? Think there's enough interest?

awasson likes this.
  2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

_MG_3156.jpg Have ridden since I was 11, back in 1967. Began dirt racing when I was 14, in 1970. Had a few street bikes along the way. Most memorable was my '75 Kawasaki 750 Triple 2-Stroke (H2, I think???).
    Owned or raced more dirt bikes than I care to list. Quit mx and offroad racing when I was 56 or 57. Now I compete at Trials riding. I wish I had started doing this sooner in my riding career. Its the most technically demanding style of riding I've ever done. At the elite levels of Trial riding, the riders do some INCREDIBLE things. At my level, its a bit uglier......

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Dog Bite, awasson, LocoTex and 5 others like this.
  3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Motorcycling on pretty much every type of bike since I was 16. I do more wrenching than riding these days. A '76 BMW R75/6 is a daily ride, a '73 Ossa SDR and a '65 Benelli Sprite are resto projects.

Strat Jacket and Tony474 like this.
  4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I have watched a number of trials exhibitions at the M/C events I have attended. Absolutely jaw dropping skills by the big boys and girls in that sport.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  5. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Dog Bite, richiek65, John E and 4 others like this.
  6. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I've had a couple monsters, a few 70s cb's, a vfr, a dr. Life's been pretty good.

I need to ride more. I need the therapy.

awasson likes this.
  7. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

That's what I meant by the "Elite Level Riders", DennyF! Thanks for posting that video......

When watching Mr. Bou on these videos, I used to wonder why Honda/Repsol even bothered putting a front wheel on his bike.....

8. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Me too! Exactly the same. I bought i in '84 at a Honda dealer in Alabama. The dealer's name was Ken Cheatham, no lie. I paid $1100 for it and rode it for 12 years. I regret ever giving up that bike.

9. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

It's a bit on the north side of things, but somewhat centrally located from the coasts.

I'm posting this from 'The Pump House' coffee shop in Deadwood. It made it up to the low 60's today, so was able to break out one of the bikes and run up here at noon.
    IMG_20181114_122551779_HDR.jpg

Enough screwing around, time to ride back home and finish designing that model 100 bass I've been fighting with for the past week.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Dennyf, Dog Bite, awasson and 3 others like this.
  10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Makes it good for the Canadians in this thread.

I kinda wish I owned a bike.

Dennyf, awasson and John Backlund like this.
  11. kelnet

What would be the central town in that area? Where would people be likely to stay for a couple of nights?

Also, is there a good pub that could host a jam? I'm imagining a whole bunch of motorbikes rolling into the parking lot, followed by maybe a rented van filled with Telecasters and a few amps.

awasson likes this.
  12. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Rapid City, about 63,000, has facilities for just about anything. It's situated on the east-central side of the Black Hills.

awasson and guitrr like this.
  13. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Is that a Moto Guzzi Breva (or V7) I'm spying there?

14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Never participated, but always had an interest in trials riding. I find that more interesting than just going fast in the dirt.

Is that a Gas Gas in the image you posted? Kinda just going by the color scheme and the rear sprocket design.

15. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Cool, my Hawk was bored out to 700cc with pods and jetted so it was running about 65HP, at just under 400 lbs. It was a perfect match for that bike. The way it delivered the power was fantastic, felt like more HP/TQ than it actually had. I miss that bike! If it was newer I never would have sold it, just don't feel like wrenching so much anymore (even though it was pretty well sorted). I always hated forward controls but I got used to them pretty quickly. I actually like how the Indian Bobber positions them (still forward but a bit closer to mid than the std Scout). I have the Scout 69ci and I LOVE this engine. Fantastic bike.

awasson likes this.
  16. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Good Eyes, Dennyf! Yeah, it's a 2010 280 Pro. Weighs,like, what, 160 lbs. with gas in it? I wish I weighed what my bike does, hee hee........

I hopped the bike up on this old maple log I have on my property, sat there balanced long enough for my wife to snap a photo, and wheelied off........

I still struggle with hopping my front wheel. Planting the front wheel, and hopping the back wheel is much easier, for me.......

17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

It's a V7 III Special. I'm pretty keen on checking one out myself here in England some time next year. I did have a good look at the Breva some years ago when they first came out, but I'm glad I didn't get one then, as I like the more recent V7 models, and especially this latest one, a lot more – at least pending a test ride.

John E likes this.
  18. kelnet

Well now. It sounds like the beginnings of a plan.

TDPRI Motorcycle Tour and Guitar Jam
    Rapid City, South Dakota

May 17 - 19th, 2019 (the weekend before Memorial Day)

Why not??

awasson and John E like this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

We had two, my bike and my wife's Kawasaki.

She decided to sell hers though, so I'm down to just the one Suzuki now.

It's a great commuter and street-trail survivor.

:eek:

two new bikes.jpg

20. guitrr

guitrr Tele-Meister

Wow, some great stories and very cool bikes in this thread!

I have a fairly extensive background in motorcycling. Started riding dirtbikes at 10, got my first street bike at 15, and didn't buy my first car until age 27; my only transportation until then was a motorcycle and a bicycle.

Did some motocross racing in my 20's, then some neighbors got me interested in touring in my early 30's; in the next 20 years I rode all over the U.S. and a little of Canada. Did some hare scrambles and enduro racing into my early 40's, and which point I kind of lost interest in going fast while risking debilitating injury, so I sold my last dirtbike at age 41.

I taught the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course for about ten years, on my off time from my firefighting career, and through some industry contacts I made teaching, got invited to be a demo rider for Indian. After one season with them, I talked my way into two years demo riding with Honda, and then half a dozen years with BMW.

The 2008 recession cut deeply into the promotion budget of all motorcycle manufacturers, and shortly thereafter I left BMW to concentrate on the last few years of my full time career, and touring riding.

I retired from firefighting in 2014 due to seven bad spinal discs, mainly from my career, though I'm sure much of my personal pursuits didn't help: paratrooper, competition judo, volleyball, and three decades of playing ice hockey. I was hard on my body. A year after I retired, I quit ice hockey at the behest of my Orthopedist, who also said to me, "You may want to consider selling your motorcycle. You can handle the riding (a Gold Wing), but if you go down you're at a high risk for paralysis." As much of a part of my life as motorcycles had been for over four decades, that was all I needed to hear, and I sold my Gold Wing shortly thereafter.

I do miss riding, but you have to have your priorities, and I never want my wife to have to be a caregiver to me.

I had some great bikes over the years, but my all time favorite was a late '90's Honda ST1100, which I put 100,000 miles on in three years. Fabulous bike, which I extensively customized for touring (or "Farkled", as they say in the touring world). My wife and I rode it to from Tampa to Tucson for my 20 year high school reunion in '99, which is representative of the sort of riding I used it for. There's a guy in my neighborhood who has an ST1300, and I salivate every time I see it. :p

I also enjoyed two BMW GS models, and two Gold Wings.

Sadly, I never got around to my ultimate bucket list ride, which was to ride to Alaska, then ride the Dalton Highway, the "Haul Road", from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay.

By the way, 7 or 8 years ago I ordered several sets of pickups from Ron Ellis. When I called him to discuss his pickup models and decide what to order, the first thing I mentioned was, "I noticed you live in Carlsbad. When I was in high school, my best friend and I persuaded his older brother to take us to the U.S. Grand Prix (motocross), so we could see all our motocross idols, like Roger DeCoster, Heikki Mikkola, Rex Staten, Marty Smith, etc. I know the track is a subdivision now, but that sure was cool for a couple of teenage MX fans."

Turns out Ron raced MX at a very high level in California at that time, and personally knew several of the guys we had gone to see. We had a great conversation, and I think we talked for about 45 minutes before we ever mentioned anything related to guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.