Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dog Bite, Nov 7, 2018.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I'm so bad at keeping 3 maintained I can't even fantasize about 100. I've decided I should never own more than 5 at a time, and rotate through different bikes.
    Right now my biggest desire is for a husqvarna 701 enduro, and then an 05 gsxr1000, and then an old moto guzzi t3... and there's always more.

John E and Strat Jacket like this.
  2. Dickey01

Dickey01 Tele-Meister

rip3.JPG

My '07 RoadKing Classic.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know if this has ever been suggested, but I think there needs to be a TDPRI Motorcycle Convention. I've never even owned a bike, but all these pictures makes me want to see all of them at one location over a long weekend.
    That would be awesome.

4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Always happy to have a good excuse for a long ride to somewhere. Who's got a location suggestion?

awasson and John E like this.
  5. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Black Hills...mid May is about the best time to visit here, a few weeks short of the big tourist breakout, kids are still in school, and you, relatively, have the place to yourself.

Dealership's abound, with every major brand represented, including Triumph, Moto-Guzzi, and even Royal Enfield. Sorry, no Ducati. Buttloads of hotels and camprounds, still at off-season rates at that time.. and of course, the Black Hills and surrounding area.

It almost never sucks to be here on a motorcycle.
    IMG_20180505_083758544_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180907_091443486_HDR.jpg

Dennyf, John E, awasson and 4 others like this.
  6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Love the Triumph John!

John Backlund likes this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I like the scout 60 (pics?) as a contender, but I am not a forward footed guy. Those pegs must be under my knees.
    I had a hawk gt but that motor just did not have enough heart . Honda overspent development on that one thou, the frame alone is artwork.
    The Scout is a real surprise, one would take one look and go 'cruzer' and as such I did not give it any real thought.
    Turns out, it is nimble and sporty, as per reviews.

8. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Random Black Hills destination: Google Maps says 31hrs to Silver City (avoiding highways . . . only way to go!). That's about three days for me. I'm down!

bottlenecker likes this.
  9. John Backlund

Also, consider that for emergencies, I have a nice, well-lit, roomy garage, a motorcycle table lift (Harbor Freight, but it works just fine), and a pickup truck...with a trailer hitch, if needed.

I even have a Telecaster around here someplace.

10. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Triumph's, Norton's and Beeser's won't do

Lost_N_Austin

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Out of all the bikes I owned over 50 yrs my second VFR was one I loved and hated,

Great power, great handling, a fun cross country mount

Then there was the maintenance on the vetech motor

Just to check the valves you had to pull both overhead cams two times. Yes, two times. Once to block out the vtec then reinstall everything, then check the clearances then pull them out again just to un block the vtec even if no adjustments were necessary.....no fun

9EA8E24B-EF08-4422-8BCC-CBB0A6F975C7.jpeg

FDAF49F5-C81F-443E-B5E3-4CA342CDC770.jpeg 4C883773-C8D3-4AD8-8706-CE6C78E8E244.jpeg FC0667ED-6459-41DC-B654-FC53747DE80F.jpeg

Dog Bite, tery, Dennyf and 1 other person like this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Because of the pictures you've posted, I was thinking that your part of the U.S. would be perfect.

Dennyf likes this.
  13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I've heard about that. I love VFRs, but I wouldn't buy a vtech one. I think that ruined a great engine. And, one of the few sporting fours that didn't need a boost down low.

It's a shame when marketing gets into your drivetrain.

Tony474 and Strat Jacket like this.
  14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a great ride!

Surprised at the finicky maintenance from Honda. That sounds more like BMW shenanigans.

My PC800 has hydraulic lifters, never have to adjust valve clearance. ;) (I know, not even in the same ballpark.)

15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

At first I was thinking “that’s crazy” but...

It’s only about 3 or 4 days from me. Due to the comfort factor of a sport bike and my 54 year old body factor, I can’t do really long days on my bike. I mean I can do 300 miles without a lot of trouble but when you start reaching 500 miles for a few days in a row, my legs get too cramped. I’ve done the long way to Paradise Montana on my GSXR and that was 3 days down and two days back. It was a long two days back.

Anyway, I wonder if we could pull this together? That looks like pretty amazing country.

Dennyf likes this.
  16. John Backlund

Some will be familiar with the area from the Sturgis rally in August, but in my opinion, it's not worth the chaos, crowds, price gouging, late summer heat, and of course, the hailstorms, but mid May is a very good time to be here. The leaves have sprouted, the grass is green, and the temperatures are moderate.

Badlands National Park is sixty miles to the east of Rapid City, and Devil's Tower is seventy-five miles Northwest of Rapid City in Wyoming. Custer State Park is forty miles south of Rapid City, and then there's just riding the great two-lane backroads in the hills.

Dennyf and awasson like this.
  17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I owned a bunch of BMW twins and I have never owned a simpler engine to work on. Valve adjustments were nothing more than old school screw and lock nut adjustments with a feeler gauge with both heads sticking out for easy access.

Dennyf, Tony474 and Strat Jacket like this.
  18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Almost nothing compares to the sound of those gear driven cams as you head towards red line on my first 94’ VFR

222A3A61-9006-49D6-8259-CCDDD854FBE0.jpeg

Dog Bite, John E, awasson and 2 others like this.
  19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I liked my '98 VFR800, but I didn't love it. I'd always wanted a VFR since the 750 first came out, but I could never quite afford one. So instead in 1990 I bought a one-owner 1986 Kawasaki GPX750, which was fast, comfortable, handled well on the right tyres and was very light on fuel. It was also incredibly easy to put on its centre-stand. I kept it for five years until it was murdered by an uninsured driver doing a prohibited turn directly in my path.

Fast forward a while to when the opportunity later arose to buy the VFR800, also one owner and low mileage, and I was in there like a rat up a drainpipe. It was certainly a good motor cycle, but to me never a great one. It was fairly thirsty too. Despite the Honda's glowing reputation and much praise from the press, I thought and still think the Kawasaki GPX750 was the better (and also slightly faster) machine.

The GPX was incidentally the only bike I've ever owned of which another example once, just once, won a World Superbike race, back in 1987 – and in practically roadgoing trim too.

rad1 and Strat Jacket like this.
  20. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Good
    Eye on the R1 shock. Lots of work to sort this beast out, but she rocks now. Busa front end, and an 86 1100 motor.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.