Motorcycle Suggestions Welcome

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Just say no. I think back to a super great friend of mind who didn’t make it out of high school. I was always scared my kids would ride.
It never seems to be the fault of the dead biker. But what does that matter they are fun to ride.

It's usually the fault of the car driver, but what does that matter, cars are convenient.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
What kind of riding are you planning to do?
I reckon I’d be leaning toward a thumper with a relatively upright riding position for general buzzing around.
They are narrow, light, and easy to work on.
I know a guy with a newer Royal Enfield that just loves it.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I reckon I’d be leaning toward a thumper with a relatively upright riding position for general buzzing around.

I know a guy that has one of those, too!

IMG_20220325_145901331_HDR~2.jpg

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
Do you want to spend your spare time riding…or working on the bike? If you want to ride, DON’T get a bike more than a couple years old. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time working on the bike. Cleaning carburetor, replacing chain and sprockets, the list is endless. And as others have mentioned, spare parts for older bikes are tough to come by. Even a 5 year old bike won’t necessarily have parts sitting on the shelf at your local dealer. Probably won’t have parts, would be more accurate.

I have a Suzuki DR650 thumper. Great dirt-oriented bike, okay for the highway with the right tires and an aftermarket windscreen. Air cooled, design has been unchanged for 20 years, parts are available (by the little brown truck, not many parts at dealer).

cenz

Tele-Meister
Yamaha XS650. Reliable, parts are everywhere, light, fairly nimble, easy to fix.

You can make anything from a hardcore, hard tail, handshift chopper to a Triton impersonator out of one.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
That is a huge hit of nostalgia right there.

To the OP, I would suggest staying away from 70s and 80s bikes unless you happen to also get a a lot of parts in a barn find. The parts are simply disappearing, slowly ending up in land fills and metal recycling bins. I know this from restoring DOHC bikes from the 80s. Parts were plentiful 10 years ago, but not so much anymore.
Thanks

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Really would like an old Yammy or Kaw 2-stroke
Just because of the old days
Maybe a KZ

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
The type of riding you want to do is an important factor, but if I could only have one bike, it would be this one: Suzuki DR650 with supermoto wheels.

Capable on the highway. Fun in the twisties. Still able to handle forest service roads and easy trails. Easy to work on. Parts are
easy to get. Understressed engine, so not high-performance, but almost unbreakable.

20211204_104539 1.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My suggestion: NO. in old age.🤣
My neighbor has been in the emergency room 3 times in 4 years. Had to pick him up at 2 am once.
A drummer I know was crippled 2 times and is gone now. Never was the same.

Len058

Tele-Meister
Some things to consider are how many kilometres you want to ride in one go. When getting older, the wrong bike will hurt you. So while you could fold yourself on a tiny CB350 in the past, now your body will probably protest after a while.

I really like the body position on dual sport bikes. Some guys suggested a few already. Honda XL,XR, Suzuki DR, Yamaha XT,TT,TTR, Kawasaki KL(R). If you don't want to go off-tarmac, you can get an adventure bike like Honda Transalp, Africa Twin, Yamaha Tenere, Suzuki V-strom, Kawasaki Versys, Triumph Tiger or the overrated BMW GS.

The two cylinder adventure bikes are very comfortable. I had a Transalp and have driven an old air-cooled GS through Norway. Two friends have new Tenere's and they absolutely love them.

IMG_20170423_200414.jpg
IMG_20190420_161213.jpg

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
My suggestion: NO. in old age.🤣
My neighbor has been in the emergency room 3 times in 4 years. Had to pick him up at 2 am once.
A drummer I know was crippled 2 times and is gone now. Never was the same.
Thanks Schmee… I appreciate the caution.

runstendt

Tele-Holic
If it’s been a while, a Suzuki S40 or a Savage (pretty much the same bike) is a nice lightweight cruiser. They’re usually pretty easy to find, not too expensive, and parts are readily available. Just my two cents.

REWTX

Tele-Meister
They came out in 2017 I think, so it is a lot newer and I think they are water cooled but I really dig the Honda Rebel 500. I checked one out at a Honda dealer a while back and they seem to be nothing but fun!

Novatuc

Tele-Meister
As someone who taught the safe riding course for many years I will give you the advice I gave to all new riders since you are in the same boat more or less. "Nobody sees you and nobody cares" Whatever bike you end up with, ride with that in mind and you will have many safe and happy years participating in a great hobby. Enjoy!!!

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m not going to be much help because I am old school and a lover of Pan Heads.
Whatever you go with be careful because, no matter the bike, you are invisible to most other vehicles.
Ride to live, live to ride

carpenter

Tele-Afflicted
Done the KLR 650 thing to old to do the dirt thing. Went through the Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki street bike phase. Sold those got a road king for street and a quad for woods and dirt. We still have the VTX 1300. Hondas run for ever.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
I am open from 1970 through maybe the early 2000’s.
Really would like an old Yammy or Kaw 2-stroke
Just because of the old days
Maybe a KZ

Don't pick a bike just because it was "it" 40 years ago. Old bikes are like old muscle cars: they're not anywhere near as good as people think they remember. Modern bikes are better-engineered, better-built and better to ride and own.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I have ridden since I was barely able to hold up a mini bike.
Just about every genre, style and configuration at some time or another.
Rupp 'lil Indian to Harley Davidson Road King.

And I can say without hesitation that the OP hasn't given nearly enough info to make even a remote suggestion beyond "my favorite" which likely has little bearing on the ability to make even a modest suggestion.
Experience? Preferred riding environment, style, distance, so many options.
Do you like to tinker, or just hop on and ride? storage space? Occasional or frequent passenger? Etc. Etc.

The only guess I can make, is given the nature and wording of the question, I would agree with the caution against romanticizing about older nostalgic stuff. Sounds like its likely a commonly made mistake.
But I could be reading more into the question than the intended meaning. Dunno.