Mother's day, Josh Turner, and me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Okay, this is what's cool about living with my wife who has kids who adore her. When she gets to go out to a nice restaurant for any number of special occasions, old Mr. Tag Along gets to horn in on it. On Mother's Day we were guests of the kids at a nice restaurant, then she got some goodies among which were tickets to see Josh Turner in a couple of weeks! Additionally, my son, daughter, her husband would attend along with us making it kind of another celebration.

We were warned by my daughter to only bring necessities since they would be screening for weapons. My wife switched to a small purse and left everything but essentials in her other purse. I left my stuff at home, but still had to explain about the artificial hip.

Since they had been so generous, we met at a nice Bar Be Cue place near the theater and I bought dinner. Luckily, we had arrived early, and just as we finished eating, my wife says, I forgot our tickets when I changed purses; will that be a problem? While everyone was panicking out, I quit the last of my meal, took a swig of soda pop, and like the old man changing tires in Christmas Story, I said Time ME, and was out the door. Forty-two traffic lights, (got lucky at the lights) and forty-five minutes later, I was back at the Fox, where everyone was waiting! We were JUST on time going in!

Josh was absolutely wonderful in person and worked the crowd into a dither. The deeper he'd go with his voice the higher people would jump and shout! I've never seen these Bakersfield Okies jumping around and waving their arms and such like they did for Josh. His band was SUPER, but they really were just a vessel for delivering Josh's wonderful baritone voice. Even the opening band which is usually quite forgettable was very good. I've not seen the likes of Josh's range of voice sine I saw Ferlin Husky live more than fifty years ago.

When Josh, and the Tonkin' Honkies fired up, it was kind of novel. The stage went completely black after the warmup band. Then, this annoying crackling little transistor radio sound was coming over the speakers with Josh singing but barely audible. The crowd started whooping and hollering sound, sound, sound, THEN, the lights came up, the sound was perfect, and the band and Josh HIT IT! It was a glorious evening!

1653062803799.jpeg

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
Saw him a few years back at a smaller hall here in town, it was a very good show and much as you described.
I think the band name, "The Tonkin' Honkies", is one of the best band names I've encountered. Wish I'd have thought of it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Saw him a few years back at a smaller hall here in town, it was a very good show and much as you described.
I think the band name, "The Tonkin' Honkies", is one of the best band names I've encountered. Wish I'd have thought of it.

Several years ago, the bus carrying his band and sound guys ran off the road only about 90 miles from where we live. David Turner, (no relation) his sound guy was killed and the others on the bus pretty shaken up. Josh was on ahead of the group in another bus. (they had two busses last night) Josh cancelled his shows for three or four weeks to give everyone time to get their heads together.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sounds like an awesome time. Glad you and fam got to experience the show!
Thank you, sir! Discovered our nephew and his wife were seated only a couple of rows in front of us, we got to visit a little in between bands, that was fun too!

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
the curtain raising, radio static sound was then like you had finally dialed in the strong station when the band hit it???

did they replicate the off-time skip of a cracked 78?

Looking fwd to a "Paul Revere's Ride" type of song about getting those tickets!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
the curtain raising, radio static sound was then like you had finally dialed in the strong station when the band hit it???

did they replicate the off-time skip of a cracked 78?

Looking fwd to a "Paul Revere's Ride" type of song about getting those tickets!
That's it, dialed in the station! I was just glad I got to the house, got the tickets and made it back in time.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've not seen the likes of Josh's range of voice sine I saw Ferlin Husky live more than fifty years ago.

Great story TD! Sounds like ya'll had a swell time. Josh is one of the very few country music singers that I'll listen to, today. My band has actually covered his "Long Black Train" song in the past ;) His voice reminds me a lot of the old days for sure. Blake Shelton is another one that I'll dial into from time to time ;) Glad ya'll had a great time!!!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Great story TD! Sounds like ya'll had a swell time. Josh is one of the very few country music singers that I'll listen to, today. My band has actually covered his "Long Black Train" song in the past ;) His voice reminds me a lot of the old days for sure. Blake Shelton is another one that I'll dial into from time to time ;) Glad ya'll had a great time!!!
We went to a Christmas show at the Civic Auditorium now Robobank Arena that Buck put on along with Toys for Tots. There were thousands there, this was back in around 1966. Ferlin Husky came out, dressed in a straight up business suit, pretending to be drunk, then went into his act. At the end of one song, he started descending in scale with his voice, and when the audience thought he was bottomed out and started applauding, he held his hand up, and went so low, the speakers in the whole auditorium started rattling.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That sounded like an Incredible Show!
It was a great show, and the pic I took doesn't reflect the crowd. There was a bar out front, and a merchandise set up, and people coming and going all night long. He didn't cut it short either, he must have been on for close to two and a half hours. Did three encore songs. Outside of a rock show, I've never seen anyone get people onto their feet the way he did. He'd sing a verse, then have the audience sing a chorus. It was good stuff.

A Fox theater tradition, the little Hispanic peddlers were all outside on the sidewalk pedaling Mexican hot dogs, Hot dogs fried on an open grill with onions, and peppers stuffed in a bun! People were standing around talking about what a great time they had, it was truly an uplifting event!

Doctor of Teleocity
I love his voice. He grew up right around where some of my Dad’s side lived, although most of my Dad’s kin came out of Isle of Wight, VA in the 1600’s and eventually migrated to Old Store, Pageland, in Chesterfield County, SC, where they stayed for generations. Some eventually moved near Florence, SC. Josh Turner was born in Hannah, SC. I don’t know what the area is like now, but the people there when I was a kid had a certain kind of southern gentility about them.