Mostly finished first build - but . . . (speaker help needed)

dean

Friend of Leo's
I finally got my first kit put together - a Monotone 5F1. I'll post some pics in a few days after I get the speaker sorted out. That's where I need some advice. I wanted to use a 10" speaker in the amp and cut the cabinet a bit bigger that original specs. I also cut a 10" baffle for it. But the 10"speakers I have (WGS 10" Veteran and Celestion 10") are both too big for the cabinet - the magnets or frames hit the transformer. I have an 8" speaker that fits fine, so I'm not left with nothing, but the 10" speaker sounds so much better. Does anyone know of a shallow 10" speaker that might work? There are quite a few car speakers that are shallow profile and are 4 ohms, and I've also had some old JBL 123s that were shallow enough (but they're 12" speakers). Or am I going to have to use the 8" speaker (I'll cut another baffle for it)? Suggestions would be appreciated.

jsnwhite619

Friend of Leo's
I don't know of any 10" to suggest if a Veteran 10 is too big - it would have been my first recommendation. What 8" speaker do you have at the moment?

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I know there is not much room but is it possible to position the speaker lower on the baffle so it does not interfere? Maybe off to one side?

dean

Friend of Leo's
I don't know of any 10" to suggest if a Veteran 10 is too big - it would have been my first recommendation. What 8" speaker do you have at the moment?
I know there is not much room but is it possible to position the speaker lower on the baffle so it does not interfere? Maybe off to one side?
In response to these questions.

8-inchers are WGS G8C, Celestion G8C-15. These will fit OK - I'll have to make another baffle for them, though. But I really like the sound of a 10" speaker in this little amp.

Even moving the Veteran 10 around doesn't work - the frame hits the transformers.

I've been looking at alternatives that won't break the bank and could possibly fit in the cab, but they are not dedicated guitar speakers. From what I can see, a guitar speaker usually has a range of 80khz to 5000khz. I have found a couple that should fit that have a range of 80khz-4000khz and 80khz-4500khz. One is a traditional ceramic magnet speaker and the other is a neodymium speaker. I may give one of those a shot - just for kicks. After the project is done, I can sell the extra speakers (or build more amps).

tubeToaster

Tele-Meister
Mounting the speaker to the front of the baffle instead of the rear will give you a little extra room. Also if the speaker is hitting the output transformer it might be possible to move the transformer to a different position.

mjcyates

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
I have a Jensen Mod 1035 in my blackface champ. It looks like it might be a little shallower than the Veteran. I really like it and it's not very expensive.
jensen mod 1035.jpeg
veteran 10.jpg

Last edited:

Jewellworks

Tele-Holic
you can try trimming the top and bottom of the baffle, and using wedges, put it in at an angle. i had to do this with my Vibrochamp. it traditionally uses an 8" and i was able to squeeze in a 10 veteran

Last edited:

dan40

Friend of Leo's
I believe that Tone Tubby makes a shallow speaker for tight cabs. I remember it seeing while browsing their sight.