Mostly Fender Parts Partcaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by No Talent, May 6, 2021.

1. No Talent

No Talent TDPRI Member

Hey everyone long time lurker seldom poster.

The story: I bought a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in Vintage Blond back around March 2020 which I got for a steal (20% off and a small refund for the cost of a local setup.) I always liked Telecasters just never bought one for some reason but I loved the way it played when I had it.

About 8 months later I was visiting my local guitar store and I ran across a 2020 Gibson SG Jr that I had to test drive since I always liked SGs too. Sold the Squier CV Telecaster on Craigslist since the market was hot at the time and I really wanted that Gibson SG Jr.

Fast forward about 3 months later and I am very much missing the Telecaster already so I started shopping around after getting permission from the wife.

After a bit of searching and a LOT of thread reading and research on TDPRI about assembling Telecasters I decided it would be fun to give it a go so I started collecting parts.

Parts list and prices

Fender MIM Telecaster Candy Apple Red Body - $237.99
    Unbranded Japan 22 fret 9.5 Maple/Rosewood board Neck off of Reverb (Guitar Flow) - $106.95
    Fender Control Plate - $13.59
    Fender ickguard Screws (24) - $4.99
    Fender String Ferrules - $9.80
    Fender 8 hole 3 ply Parchment Pickguard - $15
    Fender Telecaster Barrel Switch tips (2) - $7.99
    Fender Neckplate - $10.49
    Fender Precision Knurled Knobs - $13.89
    Fender Locking Tuners - $48.99
    Fender Pure Vintage 64 pickup set - $109
    Kelling Sound Wiring Harness (Solderless Tele Wiring Harness 3 Way Switch CTS Split shaft Orange Drop .047) - $49.68
    Electrosocket Jackplate - $8.32
    Vintage Forge Strap buttons (with felt pads) - $8.79
    4-40 Neck Pickup Pickguard Mount screws - $0.17

Total = $645.64

It all went really smoothly so far. The only mistakes I made were drilling a tuner mounting pin hole off a bit (a slightly enlarged hole fixed that problem, and I put a shallow ding on the back in the poly about the circumference of a pencil eraser which is unnoticeable except in the light at a specific angle.

I had to drill holes for the tuners, the neck, the pickguard, and the control plate. Everything else is just screwing things together and the setup process.

Even though I am very good at soldering, I am quite tired of it since having to solder in the military, then at two jobs after that. The Kelling Sound wiring harness is still making it's way to me here in Oregon from Georgia via USPS. I think there was a delay due to severe weather in that region of the country around the time I placed the order so right now the control cavity is bare.

A couple pictures

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

:cool:

No Talent likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Still don't see pictures!!!

My build was right about the same price.

American Performer body, $300, AllParts neck $120, Kluson tuners $34, pickups $68... All the other parts (Fender where applicable plus switch, CTS pots, caps and jack) about $110... Total $632.00.

I only had to finish the neck and solder up the electronics.

I THINK that's the going rate for a quality Partscaster.

No Talent likes this.
  4. No Talent

No Talent TDPRI Member

Nice build jfgesquire!

If I found an American Performer body for that price I probably would have bumped it up a bit. I could have saved another $20 - $25 soldering parts but I'm lazy about soldering these days unless soldering pedal kits.

I suspect the neck is an All Parts neck, or at least built in a similar or same factory. It has a few mildly high frets but I have no leveling supplies and I am skint (as our neighbors across the pond would say) for a couple months so I will dial it in the best I can until I can afford the right tools.

jfgesquire likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That looks great! Nice work.

No Talent likes this.
  6. No Talent

No Talent TDPRI Member

Thanks!

I forgot I had "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" book by Dan Erlewine. I bought it almost exactly 20 years ago and it's signed by him. :cool:

It includes (included?) some thick plastic radius gauges for string and/or neck radius settings in the back of the book which come in very handy.

7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Great man!!! Looks really nice. Yep, the $$$ is right on par with my builds ;)

Sax-son likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.