Most Versitile Pickup Configuration

To Cover the Most Tone Landscape Which is Best?

• HSS

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • HH W/ 5 Blade

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • HS Ala Tele Deluxe

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • P90s

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • SSS

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • HH Ala LP or 335

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • SS The Tele Does it all

Votes: 25 26.6%

• Total voters

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm a traditional, 3 single coil w/ 5 way switch Stratocaster player.

And over a lot of time, I ve just figured out how to play everything I play ( or 'close enough') with that configuration. Add an OD and between the clean and dirty, there are a lot of options.

But I also am absolutely tickled by my Epi SG ( as mainly a Fender guitar player), that has coil-taps on each humbucker. ( 2 Vol., 2 Tone).
I can do all kinds of fun stuff with these controls, and very easily

KC

Friend of Leo's

Classic Les Paul / humbucker tone -- on a tele. Just saying.

For me it's a Strat with a good bridge pickup, which for me lately is a Music Man Cutlass. I can get some good spanky tele tones out of this thing in addition to the usual Strat sounds.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Been starting to rehearse with a new 'classic rock' and R&B cover band. We do some Allmans, JJ Cale, ZZ Top, SRV, Cream, BB King, Creedance, Some Otis Redding...Etc.

Basic roadhouse cover band

I am wondering whats the one guitar to take to the gig/rehearsal to rule them all.

What say some of you old salty cover band veterans?
Really, whatever you got. (The real meaning behind “The tone is in your fingers”, imo.)

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The most versatile guitar that I ever played … by far, was the Vox SDC-55. It was not what I was looking for at the time, but they had to kick me out of the store well after they were closed, because I just could not put it down.
49CB9E07-1FAB-4E37-8EFB-B7F0CC2E8044.jpeg

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
HH a La Les Paul, but with the added twist of a coil-split on both gets my vote. The separate volume and tone for each pickup as well as the ability to run each/either in Single Coil mode to me gives me the most tonal options of all.

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
A well voiced set of tone controls is your best friend. With HH, I like a PTB setup. The difference between single coil and humbucker tones is not as wide as we tend to think. Just look at Redd's playing above. You do have to select your tone caps carefully, but it can be done.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
As @Ajs91 noted, you need to add this option:
View attachment 934226
Ok, not a true BM model, but I can easily cover a whole night with this modded Am Std Tele . It's my 'Swiss army knife' guitar!
My vote.

Squier made something off the shelf very similar... Vintage Modified SSH.

I further modified it by completely redoing the control plate. One mini toggle for each pickup = every pickup combo.

20210908_122535.jpg

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
I voted HSS as most versatile, but didn’t find it most playable. I had a HSS tele once (a la Brent Mason) but pulled out the middle pickup. Felt like it was in the way. That guitar now has a mini HB in the neck and a Single coil in the bridge and I’ve never found it lacking. Gonna go play it now.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's

Classic Les Paul / humbucker tone -- on a tele. Just saying.

For me it's a Strat with a good bridge pickup, which for me lately is a Music Man Cutlass. I can get some good spanky tele tones out of this thing in addition to the usual Strat sounds.

That doesn't sound anything like a Les Paul to me.

And on a different note...isn't he taking considerable liberties with the songs melody?

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If it HAD to be one guitar, then S/S/S all the way for me, I can cover far more ground with that than anything else.

That said, I have a Lester with the switches in it, and I do use them-La Grange starts with the tapped bridge in the intro, then full humbucker for the main part of the song. Both pickups tapped for a semi quacky strat-phase switch for funk rhythm, etc. Lots can be done with that setup...

Another setup I use is the 5 way Bill Laweence half out of phase wiring on one of my teles- reasonable quack out of that guitar when needed...

Franc Robert

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Been starting to rehearse with a new 'classic rock' and R&B cover band. We do some Allmans, JJ Cale, ZZ Top, SRV, Cream, BB King, Creedance, Some Otis Redding...Etc.

Basic roadhouse cover band

I am wondering whats the one guitar to take to the gig/rehearsal to rule them all.

What say some of you old salty cover band veterans?
Plain old unmodified Tele will work just fine.