1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most versatile wiring for SSS Strat type with only 1 tone/1 volume pot?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Michael A., Jan 28, 2019.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I have this 87 Bullet One Squier that I'm converting to 3x Fender USA alnico single coils. The bridge is slightly hot at 7.4 DCR, and I may also add a metal base plate to it to try to get a thicker, less ice pick sound.

This guitar has the jack in the pick guard, which I definitely want to keep. These small body guitars are nice for couch playing, with a right angle cable end into the front of the guard and nothing protruding.

So I have only volume and tone positions to play with. Is there a wiring scheme where I can separate the bridge tone from the neck/middle tone? I suspect I could use a concentric pot for this, but maybe there is another option.

Also, could the same thing be accomplished with a multi-position rotary switch and different cap values for the different pickups?

I also would like to consider the volume pot being push/pull so the neck can be on simultaneously with the bridge.

Can anyone steer me to a schematic that may get close to this? Other suggestions also welcomed.

Thanks.

2007-01-03 11.05.06.jpg 2007-01-02 03.50.04.jpg

2. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

IF it was mine, I would in fact simplify the wiring.

3 way switch (bridge, bridge + neck, neck), volume knob and the second knob would blend in the middle pickup.

Gains the neck + bridge and the progressive blend tones, and loses only the middle pickup alone option.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

I like this suggestion best, but you can also add a jump between the neck and middle lug for the tone pot and just have a unique tone pot for the bridge if you want.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Here's what I use for all my regularly playing SSS Strats (and I convert HSS or HSH models to SSS pickguards to do this too):

Armstrong Blender Mod ... Master volume, master tone, (second tone, or concentric pots) blender to blend between stock SSS and HSH series wiring. Regular 5-way switching so easy to remember. On a typical stock Strat there is only a wiring change, no new parts. For your setup you'll need a stacked tone pot to give you tone and blend (pick either the ring or tip for which works best for you). I like being able to dial in better than a hard switch/push-pull setup.

As a note ... go with a standard full size volume pot. Don't add any extra push/pull there as volumes are the first to wear out and you also want to be able to swap pots to get a good tone (I stopped swapping pickups when I figured out how much the controls actually control the tone even when dimed). Pots have a 20% tolerance range and it matters ...

5. Michael A.

Thanks to all 3 of you for the great suggestions! I think I'm leaning to the DA Blender mod, since I already have some CTS stacked pots from an abandoned project. I was unfamiliar with the sounds that this conversion enables, but after hearing that video, I think I might want to try it.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I usually do a master volume/tone and replace the 3rd pot with a mini 2-way switch that turns on the bridge pickup in any position. Here's what it looks like on my SX Hawk...

[​IMG]

I originally got the idea from the Schecter F400 pickguard that a previous owner had put in the 1963 Strat I bought (he was apparently on some kind of wild tone quest). It has 3 3-way switches for coil tapping.

[​IMG]

If you want something more complex and versatile, there's the GFS "Brian May" style wiring harness that replaces the 5-way with 6 switches to allow individual pickup selection and in/out of phase.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

One thought: Do you really adjust the tone for the neck? Maybe bypass a tone control for that pickup and put the middle and bridge on the tone pot. This keeps thing super simple. A duo concentric pot will of course work, but I find them clumsy to adjust on the fly.

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Supposing the neck in middle tone controls are separate from the bridge, how would you usually have the tone control set? Would the bridge tone usually be rolled back, for example?

9. Michael A.

Yes, I'm usually not wild about a super bright bridge tone.

10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'd consider pitting a 500k trim pot across the bridge to darken it's much as you like with a tiny screw driver, then when youre happy, slip the trim pot under the pick guard. Then from there just keep the stock global tone and vol setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.