Most useful neck & bridge pickup combo for what you do is...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by audiopablo, Jul 13, 2020.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Same: the Baja 50s set. Covers a lot of territory, especially with a 4-way switch. It even works well with S1 switching if you need an "in between" Strat tone. Second choice is the Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster set. A3 and a medium wind. Versatile and has a softened top end.

audiopablo likes this.
  2. Blue vista

Blue vista TDPRI Member

Pure vintage 64 did it for me

audiopablo likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Instead of taking a Tele SS and adding a 4-way switch to make a humbucker ... I take an Esquire-H and split both bobbins with a 4-way. 'neck' (needs a little tone knob)/parallel Strat quack#2/'bridge'/humbucker. Pickup is lowered and screw poles are raised to give more separation between coils. ebay pickup from a $15 set, ceramic magnet 16kohm humbucker, 8kohm single coils. Covers a lot of tone ground.

[​IMG]

VintageSG and Wallaby like this.
  4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I'm happy with any two pickups that work well together. Matching sets usually do. I have Don Mare Zep-O-Tone studios in one guitar, and they're absolutely fantastic when adjusted to the right height. The same goes for my 2003 Bardens, although they demand some knob-twiddling to sound their best. I have Lollar 52s in another guitar, and they're great too. SD Broadcasters are very similar, with a slighly darker neck and lower output.

Things get interesting when you install a different neck pickup. I have a Lollar CC in one guitar, and an OC Duff Plankster matches it in volume, which isn't an easy task. It's also almost completely hum-free, which is great except that the middle position is less hum-cancelling as a result.

The tough nut to crack was the hollow Tele with a TV Jones T-Armond in the neck. Nothing could keep up with it until I got a Don Mare 0038 wound to 15K, which is insanely high for a Tele bridge. I swear no one else on the planet could wind a bridge pickup that hot without it sounding too dark, but Don worked a miracle with this one. It has hefty mids but plenty of high end as well - not Don Rich tone by any means, but a nice Nocaster feel.

I also have a Japanese Aerodyne with the stock P90 neck and standard bridge. They work well together too!

5. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

The older American Standard pickup set is surprisingly good. My favorite is the Fender Original Vintage (OV) set.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I can get along with pretty much anything as long as they’re noiseless and not too bright. If they stab me in the ear with high end, or if they hum, they’re either gone or the whole guitar is.

7. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Most of my Tele bridge pickups sound good to me (not harsh, nor "brittle"), especially when I'm playing in the lower register (closer to the nut). One of my Teles has a Palo Duro bridge pickup in it.

And if the brightness with any of them is a bit much, a slight roll-off with the tone pot addresses that well.

But overall, for my style of "clean" playing, I tend to prefer neck, and neck + bridge, most of the time.

On occasions where I employ Chorus, or much overdrive, I find the bridge pickups especially useful.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  8. dannyh

dannyh Friend of Leo's

Lollar Vintage in the neck position and Lollar Special in the bridge.

9. Lacost

Lacost TDPRI Member

1. Q-Pickups 2/5, 4 way switch
    2. Bridge: Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue, Neck: Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro, 5 way switch (bridge, bridge-humbucker split, bridge-humbucker, humbucker split, humbucker).
    IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

10. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I'm a sucker for a good humbucker in the neck - something warmer and bolder than a typical SC, woody and airy, but not fat. I love 72 Customs for that and similar. My Tele has Zhangbucker's Paul Bunyan Tele bridge (slightly overwound) and his hybrid Telebucker 6 - A5 rods in the neck coil and a bar mag (I put in an unoriented A5) with steel slugs in the bridge coil. It sounds like a great Fender style neck, but bolder and bigger. LP/72 style wiring for maximum blending capability. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Most useful neck and bridge pickup combination for what I do is a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings. I have three different brands of pickups in five teles, and the only brand/set I repeated was the Twang Kings. And as @El Tele Lobo and several others have said, my favorite switch/wiring configuration is a 4-way.

The TK bridge most definitely lives up to its name in the twang department, and yet it also has fullness to it, if that makes any sense. And the neck TK is very clear and articulate, but warm as well. And with a 4-way switch the two pickups in series has added girth to the tone, a slightly darker but not muddy tone and more output.

The two guitars below both have the TK set with the 4-way switch. The BSB on the right was my go-to gigging tele from 2011-19, and the natural finish on the left has been my new go-to gigging tele since I got it last June or July.

Sorry for the slightly out of focus pic. I have previously admitted and do readily admit again that I am a lousy photographer. If money were no object, one of the things I'd do is fly @DHart down here to take photographs of all my guitars.

upload_2020-7-15_9-0-38.png

scook, DHart and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For a Tele-style .....
    This.
    image.jpg
    TV Jones Supertron neck, Seymour Duncan Hot Tele blade bridge.
    No hum, clear, full neck sound.
    No hum, bright (not too bright, like the operator),clear bridge tone.
    My very favorite on any guitar is this.
    D729D642-DE1F-4ACA-9870-2C89EE7A6ECD.jpeg
    Or this.
    64067158-AE25-469B-B464-CBA5A614E384.jpeg
    Same Supertron, TVJ Classic+ bridge.
    Perfect, for me.

DHart and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I have a Artec P90 (in humbucker-size) in neck-position of my Ibanez Artcore AF75 and the stock Ibanez humbucker in bridge-position. This combination is my main sound both for clean and slight crunch rhythm, as well as lead.
    I switch to the neck and rollback the tone a bit for more jazzier tones and I switch to the bridge humbucker for anything more overdrive/fuzz.
    But the combination of both is definitely my favourite cleantone.
    The Ibanez is my main guitar; I sometimes use two semi-acoustics, both with 2 P90s each.
    I prefer the P90 over single-coils, the P90 seems more punchy, but less brittle compared to a single-coil. I sometimes think about changing the Ibanez humbucker for another P90, but I like the sound when I use overdrive and it's still enough knack and treble in the combination with the P90.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  14. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

This!

Go from single coil to P90 fatness at a slick of a switch [emoji106][emoji1]

Middle position is great as it's got high and low frequency. [​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

rand z, DHart and brookdalebill like this.
  15. DHart

LGO... if money were no object for me, I'd happily fly down there and make those images for you! :)

LGOberean likes this.
  16. DHart

Bill... I've heard so many good things about TVJ's Supertron... I really need to try one of those!

As for the SD Hot Tele bridge... can you get rich, clean articulate tones with that? Is it heavily "middy"? I seem to have an attraction toward bar-magnet pickups these days. :lol:

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. DHart

That's a very cool looking Tele-variant! What is it?

neilybob100 likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Chet has my (so far) all time favorite neck pickup tone.
    I play mostly clean, and it sounds clear.
    It does not sound sterile, “hi-fi” (like active EMGs do, to me), or muddy.
    I run the tone pot wide open.
    I rarely use the pots on my guitars, preferring everything “wide open” on the guitar.
    It sounds great overdriven, too, I just rarely go there.
    Because I liked it so much on my Chet, I decided to put it on my avatar guitar and Cabronita partscaster.
    I chose the Duncan after using a Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele pickup for years.
    It’s in my avatar pic.
    It’s a great sounding pickup, but, alas, it hums.
    Lots of my gigs have/had neon behind the stage, and on the same circuit.
    Buzz city.
    No me gusta!
    Anyways, I tried a Bill Lawrence blade type, but found it too bright.
    Next was a Duncan “vintage” blade type, but it was a lot like the Lawrence.
    The “hot” blade type was better, and dead quiet.
    I had to find the “sweet spot” for it’s height.
    My guitar has titanium saddles.
    I got tired of sawing through the E/B saddle with my bender.
    The pickups and bridge on the old avatar critter never worked better!

DHart likes this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...for what I used to do...it's been 4 months...used to have a weekly gig, house band, blah, blah, blah, but most of the time I was playing the JB std MIM, came with Texas Specials stock. Worked for me in that context; we played a lot of different stuff, originals and covers, blues, americana, folk rock, classic rock, even a little country. Yep, they are a little on the warm side of output, but not too much. Have a few other guitars I would play from time to time, but mostly that JB.

20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

For me, the best neck and bridge pickup combo is the Esquire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.