Most useful neck & bridge pickup combo for what you do is...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by audiopablo, Jul 13, 2020.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I think the American Standard tele got it right: twisted tele in the neck, broadcaster in the bridge. If it had a 4 way like the baja, it would have been perfect.

You?

2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I like a bright neck pu and a slightly dark bridge pu, and I like them to be somewhat hot.

I started off with the stock Squier PUs, which were pretty bland. I tried the Rumplestiltskin Black Lace PUs, and they sounded great but were too quiet for my taste and the neck was a bit too dark. After reading some forums posts, I got the GFS Fatbody PUs, which are really close to what I want. I wanted a bit nastier PU in the bridge so I got the GFS Hot Lead Alnico Overwound.

That combination - Fatbody neck and and Hot Lead Overwound Bridge - seems to be the Goldilocks Zone for Tele pickups to my ears.

That said, I do want to try a bridge pickup built to Nocaster specs, and I also want to the try the Fatbody Overwound if they ever make more of them.

I'm also seriously considering giving my Tele the Nashville treatment, so we'll see how a mid position pickup throws off my current balance.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've used a lot over the years. My favorite right now is the Bootstrap Palo Duro set: bright, vintage-sounding bridge and warm, rich neck with just enough clarity. A similar combo in one I'm putting together is a Cavalier Nashville Lion (a bit more modern than the Bootstrap) with a Fat Lion King (much fuller and slightly warmer than the Bootstrap) neck. I loved these in two separate guitars...this will be an experiment seeing how they play together. Both setups have a 4-way switch...an essential mod, for me, on all my teles.

Maguchi, BB, gregulator450 and 5 others like this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Que es neck and pickup combo?

5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Duncan Vintage Firebird in the neck, DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge.

LPTyler, Maguchi and audiopablo like this.
  6. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

9 times out of 10, I go with a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck. It's clear, fat, warm, and articulate all at the same time.

I choose the bridge pickup depending on the character of the whole guitar and the vibe I want to give it. My 3 favorites: Dimarzio True Velvet is very full-eq with a honky midrange. Florance Voodoo Nocaster is the most airy and 3D bridge pickup I've experienced, very touch sensitive. JS Moore Nocaster is deep and growly, the mids are eager to overdrive but can still twang/sting.

With a 4-way switch, the tone vocabulary is crazy.

Bjackcity and audiopablo like this.
  7. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

i like the fender pure vintage 64 set

8trackmind, Danb541, baiff and 3 others like this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Love me my blue partscaster with a minihum in the neck, not sure about the bridge, but it's a bit on the hot side, and a three knob (two volume, universal tone). Middle position yields infinite tonal variations, from deep and rich all the way to cutting bright and all between. 20200611_170819.jpg

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My dilemma has always been that I like a Telecaster Bridge pickup, but the neck pickups have always seemed too muddy and useless to me. Then I bought a guitar that had the Tex-Mex set installed. The neck pickup in that set is clear and articulate. It's really the only Telecaster neck pickup that I like, and the bridge pickup rocks also.

Maguchi, Controller and audiopablo like this.
  10. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickup set. Neck sounds like a Strat, bridge is pure Tele. Best of both worlds.

Maguchi, surf_jimi and audiopablo like this.
  11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

My two favorite positions with a Tele are Neck, and Neck/Bridge combined. I don't often play the bridge pickup alone.

Usually, I play a clean tone with some reverb and compression. The dirtiest tone I ever go for is just a very mild overdrive, once in a while.

I like a clear, clean, bright, detailed and articulate tone from the neck pickup.

I'd have to say that my favorite combo is probably:

• Cavalier Firebird neck pickup (this pickup delivers fabulous detail and clarity, is sparkly bright, without a spec of noise! Fantastic.)

• Low wind A3 bridge pickup, options include:
    Fender CS Nocaster bridge,
    Cavalier "Oildale" bridge,
    Cavalier 51/52 bridge,
    Bootstrap "Original" bridge pickup.

All of these bridge pickups have A3 magnets and are wound to between 8900-9500 turns of 42 AWG wire, delivering rich and sparkly detail!

Example, my Arctic White Fender Standard Tele and an American Special neck with rosewood board:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Maguchi, 39martind18, Amby and 2 others like this.
  12. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Fixed (yikes!!!)

Man, I need to double check my words before posting. Talk about a brain fart!! Thanks for the heads up.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have a Baja '50s, and I agree. The pickups are great. I have never even given a second thought to swapping them. With the 4 way, volume and tone knobs, and S1 (which is only used rarely for certain distinct sounds) I can get just about any sound I could ever want. It makes for a very versatile Tele.

On the other hand, I have an Esquire with a dimarzio Twang King, and even without a neck pickup, with proper use of the knobs, you can get a lot of tonal variation. I have gigged it, and never found it lacking.

mojek likes this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My choice is

Bridge: Dimarzio Twang King
    Neck: Fender Wide Range... If not, ANY humbucker will do the job

15. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I was very happy with the stock Baja combo: broadcaster neck + twisted, especially with the extra series option.
    but recently I traded my Baja for a MIJ Jerry Donahue tele with a Duncan JD pickup at the bridge and a strat pickup at the neck which has some nice combination positions on the switch (3 combinations, but not the meaty series position of the baja). It sounds more clear than the Baja, and a bity wiry but in a good way.

16. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

i have been through a lot of tele pickups in my time and so far these cheap old wilkinson pickups sound by far the best? Wilkinson-Vintage-Voice-Telecaster-Pickups-Alnico-V-fits-52-62-MWTN-B.jpg_960x960.jpg

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Whatever the heck is installed in my CV50's Vintage Blonde from stock. I bought it with the intention of Esquire-ing it, but the neck pickup has such magic to it, I can't remove it. Sometimes, the tonal planets align and faerie dust gets sprinkled as all the tolerances add up.
    The bridge pickup is a fine sounder too. Through controlling picking attack, picking placement, the guitar knobs, and of course, selector position, so many fine sounds can be had, I feel replacement would be for replacement sake rather than any improvement.

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a "project" guitar that I make careful changes to, and tried V-Mod, CS Nocaster '51, Kinman Broadcasters and Don Mare Hayride sets. The Hayride set won that round ( by a lot ), the rest are stored in a box for some future use.

I have an AV '64 with its stock pickups, and I can't imagine changing them, they're pretty much perfect together in that guitar, too. Those gray-bobbin pickups sound a lot like the Hayrides, a little hotter maybe and maybe a little more lower-mid "grunt", but also a little more compressed-sounding.

I prefer standard wiring, a 3-way switch, and fingerpick through tube amps, if that helps, with a small pedalboard with delay, compression, tremolo, reverb and light to medium overdrive.

19. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Dimarzio Fred and SD seth lover 4 conductor

Or for my tele I love a stacked bridge pickup and Seth lover neck HB

20. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I put DiMarzios in my Les Paul a couple of months ago, a Super Distortion in the bridge and a 36 Anniversary PAF in the neck. It's a classic set, and rightly so. In my Tele, I seem to have settled on Tonerider Hot Classics.

BB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.