Most Underrated Stomp Box

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rokdog49, May 8, 2014.

1. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

I'd like to add the Boss OD-2R to the list. I believe its the best sounding overdrive Boss ever manufactured. Two great sounding switchable modes. Its got a mid hump, but nothing like a tubscreamer. Its not transparent and adds a substantial amount of compression...perfect for clean amps!

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you know if that is the same circuit as the OD-2 just with a remote footswitch capability added? Or does it also "fix" the somewhat anemic level issue that the OD-2 has (not really a problem for me because I don't stomp it on and off or use it as a "lead boost)? Thanks

3. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

That's interesting to hear. I picked up a mint condition one recently but haven't given it much of a workout. Spending all my time with a Barber GC and this puppy, very underrated and a bargain to boot.

rat_sm2.jpeg

4. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

According to the Boss Area the 2r has more gain than the 2, and also allows use of a remote footswitch to toggle the turbo mode.

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i have this pedal with the NOS chip. i paid like 7.00 new. did come from japan. was worth the week it took to get here. im happy with the pedal. no clue what they are going for now. but sounds like its still a good deal.
    chris.

6. czech-one-2

I think the non-turbo channels sound identical, but the OD-2R has alot more available volume than the OD-2. On the OD-2 its tough to set a low gain sound due to the low output,it struggles to get past unity gain. The OD-2R fixed that and the added footswitch jack is a big plus. I'm a fan of the SD-2 but it can be a little confusing to use live with its super low gain channel and hotter than hell channel. You risk the chance of coming in with your big rock solo with a thin, transparent lightly breaking up overdrive. :lol: Not so with the OD-2R, Both channels are voiced similarly so switching between overdrive and MORE overdrive is alot more intuitive.

7. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

Korg Pandora Mini

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Funny you mention the SD-2. Part of my decision to get the OD-2R was it's remote facility that I was liking on the SD-2. I wonder why they didn't go the SD-2 route and give each channel its own volume, tone & gain. Despite the SD-2 being my go to drive for a long time I moved it on a while back, time for a change, plus, although I *really* liked the crunch channel the lead sound was just too bassy to me. I did wonder if it might have been modded before getting to me but I'm not electrically minded so I didn't investigate. It's a great pedal though, no doubt about that.

9. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

It's not on my board anymore only coz I dont play that style

MXR 78 badass - awesome. Best distortion tones I could find. Bam.

10. czech-one-2

So, did you pick up an OD-2R yet? I'm really enjoying this one!
    I like the simplicity of it compared to the SD-2. The shared EQ on the OD-2R isnt a problem to me as both channels are voiced similarly, just more gain in 'turbo' mode. Its really intuitive for live use cause if you accidentally hit it in the wrong mode its not like you stepped on the wrong pedal, both modes are in the same family at least...unlike the SD-2.

Oh, and another way under-rated Boss pedal is the LM-2 limiter. Want a transparent compressor? Look no further...

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Dano PBnJ delay, Fish n Chips EQ, FAB fuzz, Boss Power Stack.

12. th!nk

th!nk TDPRI Member

Probably not the most underrated pedal ever, but I have a lot of love for the Boss OD-20 Drive Zone's Muff Setting, mainly bought it because I liked my ME-50's Big Muff setting more than my Tone Wicker Muff (more saturated, also a little less noise), and the OD-20 has more control. 'salso pretty cheap. Interesting that it seems to be discontinued while things like the FZ-5 remain.

I also feel that the theft involved in Danelectro's Cool Cat line overshadowed the CC-1 Chorus, which last I checked was an original design, and a very good one at that - pleasant sound with lots of control in a quality build (though the spacing on the back could be better as has been noted by numerous others - I might rehouse mine when I can spare the cash). Also: ludicrously cheap. On the other hand, I chose it from clips, not direct comparison (which is pretty much impossible where I am), so pinch of salt, but I scratch my head when I see people looking for used small clones or boss chorus pedals for the same price as these go new.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  13. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

In the category of Tube Screamer with added (and IMO very useful BLING):

VHT V-Drive

Built in charge pump allows for voltage up to over 9 volts plus killer tone shaping and tons of clipping options makes this the Cat's Meow... Steal for $100

14. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Probably will buy that tonight...

15. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Yes I've spent some time playing it. The main story was that having sold my SD-2 I promptly realised what a prat I had been and so picked up another one, boxed this time and cheaper so it's not all bad. Actually it's all good 'cos the Lead channel on the replacement doesn't have such a bass heavy tone, it's got a bit more cut and treble available.

Re the OD-2R, I must confess I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. I can see how it could be really useful for certain things but I much prefer the flexibility of the SD-2. I should spend more time with it before criticising though.

16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Gotta agree with the CC-1...maybe the best chorus going...totally under the radar.

17. AmbientMetal

AmbientMetal TDPRI Member

In my option the behringer echo machine is defiantly an under rated pedal so much bang for your buck it's plastic but truly an amazing pedal

18. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I have several underrated oddballs on my board:

Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter - my favorite pedal ever

Akai Headrush E2

Reverend Drivetrain - the original - bought it from Joe Naylor himself at a guitar show circa 2000

Fender Starcaster Chorus

19. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Digitech Screaming Blues, one of my favorite dirt boxes and gets over looked usually by the good ole Bad Monkey.

20. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

But so is a Glock. ;)

/ Tony

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.