Most underrated sideman

effzee

Tele-Meister
Malcom Young. RIP

I scrolled to see if anyone would mention him. Realized what a great guitarist he is/was and how important he was to the band when I saw them live in 1983. What a concert! And I went in expecting to be following Angus's every move but found myself drawn more and more towards the understated flawless workmanship of his brother.

effzee

Tele-Meister
Can someone define sideman? I'm seeing a lot of band members listed, I mean how are Robbie Robertson and Malcom Young sidemen. Did they have other gigs, was Malcom only in AC/DC part-time? Was he doing a side hustle with Olivia Newton John?

True. That's a good point. I'd been viewing malcom as the supporting guitarist for Angus, his rhythm player so to speak, until I saw them live and realized just how much he does, but that doesn't define him as a sideman. Maybe he'd fit better in the underrated category or something.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Solved. G’head and close the thread.

Ed Cynar. He kept the rhythm section tight and helped Link Wray stay between the rails. Because of this unsung sideman that you can hardly find a picture of we get to enjoy rock’n’roll. Thanks, Ed.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I nominate Marvin Dykhuis. I saw him 25 years ago when my Dad took me and my sister to see a Tish Hinojosa concert in Grass Valley, CA. I was 12 and had gotten my first guitar about 6 months earlier. I was ruined after that, how could I want to do anything else but play country guitar?

I couldn't find any good videos of him picking fast, but he sings great too

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Back in the day...it's kind of insulting to call them 'sidemen', but Nugent's original band - Davis, Grange, St Holmes. I met St Holmes at a work thing and lost my mind, even after so many years later.
Derek worked at Rhythm City in Atlanta between tours and actually sold me a couple instruments including my cherished Steve Morse edition MM Sabre. He’s a pretty cool dude.

gregulator450

Friend of Leo's
I scrolled to see if anyone would mention him. Realized what a great guitarist he is/was and how important he was to the band when I saw them live in 1983. What a concert! And I went in expecting to be following Angus's every move but found myself drawn more and more towards the understated flawless workmanship of his brother.

Thank you for saying it. Angus knew and stated that Malcolm was the glue of the band. Malcolm's playing is a rhythm guitar master class, every time, in my opinion. Gotta thank Scott Ian for very publicly pointing that out as well.