Most Underrated Pedal in Your Collection

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Collin D Plonker, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

My Mr. Black mini tremolo is actually pretty nice sounding. EXTREMELY basic, but nice sounding.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

SD-1 my number 1 distortion pedal, and I have owned a lot of distortion pedals.

3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

It's an eyesore, it's not well built, and yet it sounds better than most distortion pedals I've ever owned.

xlyj.jpg

Bettyfender and Ronzo like this.
  4. cwhuntersr

cwhuntersr TDPRI Member

Came here to say my GE7 EQ - the only problem is there are so many great sounds with an EQ, you need multiple EQs to get them all (I'm wishing for a midi version of something like the GE7)

5. Fran1964

Fran1964 TDPRI Member

It should be my Tokai pedal. Tokai pedal.jpg Tokai pedal.jpg :)

kLyon likes this.
  6. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm gonna give a shout-out for the Tech 21 Sansamp TRI-AC. Three channels of overdrive -- Tweed, Brit, and Cali. All analog and yet fully programmable (A sideways press across all three buttons saves a whole set up as a snapshot). There are certainly tastier overdrives I've played through, and this one will probably be off my board, but I've had it in the trenches for a long time and won't part with it. fqjsx9wqjr86tyvz44w2.jpg

7. Hueycaster

Hueycaster TDPRI Member

a Joyo Roll Boost, 1 knob, 31dB of boost. Yes it’s amazing.

kevsonic likes this.
  8. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don’t know if anybody already mentioned it, but the MXR Dynacomp is a very useful pedal. I found that by diming the output (gain) and turning the sensitivity (sustain) to maybe 7 o’clock, almost off, I can really smooth out my humbuckers without squashing the notes. I like a little compression and this one is by no means transparent, but it’s very useful for adding a nice smooth boost to a tube amp that’s on the verge of breaking up. And it’s cheap! I’ve bought & sold 2 of these in the past and always miss them, so I’m hanging on this time.

9. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

That'd be my Green Ringer. People always talk about its craziness etc., but it's actually not a high-gain or fuzz pedal, and can produce some lovely harmonics you can't get any other way. As here:

2020-04-19 11.06.45.jpeg

northernguitar likes this.
  10. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

Gauging underratedness makes this a tough call, but I'd nominate my Boss PS-3, which I never see anyone raving about, despite it being a Digital Delay, Octaver, Chorus, and Crazysound pedal in a single classic enclosure. Every other pedal I own probably gets all the kudos it deserves, but this one seems to slip under most people's radar.

11. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

I have quite a few underrated pedals... The Ibanez Slam Punk from the Soundtank series produces very decent tones. IMG_1305.jpg
    The old DOD series also have a few gems. I especially like their FX58 Metal Maniac and FX58 Thrash Master. When their gain level is not maxed out, you can get nice punchy tones. Their compressor FX84 Milk Box is very useable too.
    IMG_2517.jpg

12. Micke_E

Micke_E TDPRI Member

6537E7A1-88CA-484D-B278-D11FC29C0BC4.jpeg
    Allways liked the Boss CE-2. Had one but it got lost. Then I found this one on internet.

northernguitar likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

there are some winners in the Dano pedal world.

this one went from overrated to dismissed over the years but - I’ll always call it Timmy.

34ACD439-B93F-4C71-8C65-3DF42F319F6F.jpeg

Charlodius and Rockdog like this.
  14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

upload_2020-9-1_8-39-48.jpeg

15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Never tried the Slam Punk, but I did have a Soundtank OD and a Soundtank Distortion quite a while back and they were really good - not sure which ones.

My most under-rated would be my Joyo Tremolo. It's incredible. Hands down the best tremolo I have ever used. I don't lot of "cheap" pedals or "boutique" pedals - mostly middle-of-the-road-mass-produced-big-name pedals (Boss, EHX, Visual Sound, etc.) but if I had to pair my board right down, the Joyo tremolo and my Visual Sound tap delay would be the absolute last two to go.

Fred-paris and Collin D Plonker like this.
  16. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

JHS jingle: They have the box!

The Boss DF-2 has always been one of my favorite pedals. The distortion side sounds meh, although I reckon you could easily gig with it by 99% of the audience won't pay attention to your guitar tone anyway rule. It's the feedback part that is the fun part. Which is why even though I play with an Axe-FX for nearly all my sounds I still have two pedals next to my MIDI controller and expression pedals. A whammy for whammy goodness, and a DF-2. Because a DF-2 into a whammy can be a world of fun. If its the right whammy that is. WH-1 or WH-5 at least, NOT the WH-4 or others. You need one with a seamless switchover between settings as you rotate the preset knob. Which will glitch with a WH-4. But not the WH-1 or the WH-5. And when you can turn that knob and not have it glitch as you turn you can create interesting melodies and sounds if you have a constant feedback to feed the Whammy.

pippoman likes this.
  17. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Toss up... The Dynacomp mini gets a lot of use in the studio. If you weren't there, most would never know its in the chain but when you turn it off you hear its missing. The Rubberneck Delay helps create textured that are difficult to do in the box

18. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Harley bento 29€ tubescreamer

19. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I thought he played a DS-2, not a DS-1. I have them both. The DS-1 is not so bad but you have to know what your doing with it. You need to roll the tone back to around 9oclock to tame the shrill a bit. The DS-1 is early Satch in box also. For the couple of bones they cost its totally worth having. The DS-2 is a lot of Prince tone in a box

20. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

MXR Distortion+.
    2nd generation just like Fernando’s...
    MARVELOUS!!!

xtelesquirex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.