KrenarCilku

Tele-Meister
Hey guys, hope you're all doing well and staying safe!

I got a Vox AC10 C1 Custom on loan from Vox a couple of months ago for my YT channel. I was really excited but didn't know what to expect.

I've always thought that Vox did that jangly thing and that's about it. oh, was I wrong!

From the first time I plugged into it, my mind was blown! It sounded amazing with any guitar that I threw at it. After that, I had the chance to play an AC30 S1 and was even more fascinated how amazing Vox amps are.

Long story short, I'm a total Vox fanboy now but I was thinking to myself, why isn't Vox getting the credit they deserve? I've spoken to a handful of friends and we all seem to agree that Vox is seriously underrated..

What do y'all think?

Cheers everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Vox gets huge love here, probably the most popular only behind Fender amps?

I actually asked about the AC10 at my local GC shop and the price is awfully high for a 10w amp!

Vox is huge though among players I know.
Rock (through the ages) to me is Marshall and Vox.
Vox is Country too!

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Great video! I liked the three guitar spread. Your face shows you really like the Vox...not sure you will be able to give it back;).

When I look at amps, it is usually Fender, Vox, Marshall and Quilter...in no particular order.
If I played as well as you, I could easily have a Vox love affair:cool:.

Last edited:

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Vox gets huge love here, probably the most popular only behind Fender amps?

I actually asked about the AC10 at my local GC shop and the price is awfully high for a 10w amp!

Vox is huge though among players I know.
Rock (through the ages) to me is Marshall and Vox.
Vox is Country too!

It's actually very low for a (nearly) all tube 10 watt big name brand amp.

It's high only if you compare it to solid-state 10 watt amps with generic 8" speakers. Which generally cost pennies to build. One EL84, even a Chinese one, costs more than all the electronics in a Squier amp. And Vox's buy price on one transformer is probably more than the wholesale cost of a SS starter kit amp.

It just happens that the AC10 despite a fairly modest specification is a sweet spot that punches above its weight. Even the standard speaker is a good match.

The AC15C1 I bought to flip has become my gigging amp with the old farts band I play in. I sold a AC15CC1 for a tidy profit and picked up a cherry ten years younger one for the same dollars as a new AC10.

I even bought a cover and sourced a Celestion Blue for it. It also looks great onstage. Sounds freakin' awesome with my Thinline and Gretsch. And it's got that Vox Topboost thing in spades.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member

It's high only if you compare it to solid-state 10 watt amps with generic 8" speakers. Which generally cost pennies to build. One EL84, even a Chinese one, costs more than all the electronics in a Squier amp. And Vox's buy price on one transformer is probably more than the wholesale cost of a SS starter kit amp.

It just happens that the AC10 despite a fairly modest specification is a sweet spot that punches above its weight. Even the standard speaker is a good match.

The AC15C1 I bought to flip has become my gigging amp with the old farts band I play in. I sold a AC15CC1 for a tidy profit and picked up a cherry ten years younger one for the same dollars as a new AC10.

I even bought a cover and sourced a Celestion Blue for it. It also looks great onstage. Sounds freakin' awesome with my Thinline and Gretsch. And it's got that Vox Topboost thing in spades.

Yeah that's fair, I'm just whining about PRICES TODAY because I'm too cheap to pay them!
Seriously though, if the market stabilizes I'd buy a used AC10.
My Orange OR15 was $400 shipped in mint floor demo condition.
I'd prefer to pay $275- $325 for a used AC10?
Hahahaha jokes on me!

JamesAM

Tele-Holic

I’ve gotta agree with this. I had one for a bit and it was pretty much the perfect grab and go amp for a really reasonable price. The closed back even made the bass response much better than most voxes!

the pcb design is kind of funky, but it works. Only reason I sold it was because I found an insane price on an ac15hw that I couldn’t pass up.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I have really only played and owned Fender and Quilter amps but I like the sound of Vox amps. I want to eventually get one.

They actually do seem pretty popular on this forum, but I have not heard much of that little one. Sound great though.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah that's fair, I'm just whining about PRICES TODAY because I'm too cheap to pay them!
Seriously though, if the market stabilizes I'd buy a used AC10.
My Orange OR15 was $400 shipped in mint floor demo condition.
I'd prefer to pay $275- $325 for a used AC10?
Hahahaha jokes on me!

That's a great price on an OR15. I just picked up my third TT15 - first combo, model with G12H. Great sounding amp.

First gig this weekend but I've been using it in band prac and it's killer.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I've been wanting to check out the new Vox AC10 as well. Nice to hear it's a great amp. On the short list should I find a need to play out of the house anytime again.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I think we expect expensive amps to be good and inexpensive amps to be adequate. To me, a less expensive amp that’s just right strikes us as underrated. Can’t anyone else hear what I hear? Doesn’t anyone else want that sound. I feel that way about AC10. I’ve played through it a few times and always thought it could sound great if I could figure out how it works. That’s not a criticism. It’s more of an observation of the way I approach things.

I always choose a Fender to evaluate a guitar. Why? It’s clean sound let’s me hear the guitar uncolored. But I like the sound through a Vox a little more. Does that make sense. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. I wouldn’t call it underrated. Under appreciated is perhaps a better term. It’s not a GC or Sam Ash amp. This is an interesting thread about how we think about amps. Thank you for starting it @KrenarCilku .

Last edited: