Most surreal thing you ve seen at a gig.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jan 25, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Following the low attendance thread, i thought i might start this one.

We were playing a biker festival, and there were strippers. They were changing their outfits while we were playing cards with the band. And a stripper came on stage and danced with us. I think that took the cake.

Another one was the drummer pouring beer in his monitor because it was smoking. I heard my nick, drummer is calling me, there s something wrong, monitor is smoking, i poured my beer in it.

2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

Playing a house in Milwaukee, someone thought this guy was hitting on his GF and he tried to fight him. Guy was on the ground getting his head kicked and I stepped in to break it up. When the guy gets off the groundb he is asked to leave, remember he started the fight, to which he responds "you guys always side with the n*****!" I never thought I would regret helping someone who was getting kicked in the face.

Immediately after this it was our turn to play.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I was playing a gig about 30 years ago when a guy sitting at the bar gently died, about 15 feet from me. He just dipped his head onto the bar and he was gone, still sitting on his stool.

The staff seemed to know what had happened and were very calm. An ambulance came and took him away. We never even stopped playing.

I honestly don't remember what we were playing, but it was something country.

4. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

Playing a show in Detroit, the band before us had bad blood. At one point the guitar player was on his knees doing a solo and the bass player kicked him in the face. This ended their set as the guitar players eye swelled shut as a result of a shattered orbital bone.

Immediately after this it was our turn to play.

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Meshuggah at the Fillmore Silver Spring, May 2012, guy crowdsurfing in his wheelchair. He apparently shows up at a lot of metal shows there.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Let's see...
    KARATE CHOP:
    -In the early 70's we were playing a large dive bar a 5 night a week gig. This bar was in a bad part of town even back then. This guy at the bar kept (apparently from their body language) arguing with the Bartender all night off and on. He was an older guy actually. The barkeep was a big young guy. All of a sudden the barkeep karate chops this guy like 4-5 times in rapid succession and the guy is out cold. End of the night the same guy refused to pay us our agreed amount, he said "it was too slow". I wasn't going to argue about it. I've often thought the whole karate chop was for our benefit.

FLASHER
    - Another instance maybe 15 years ago we played this large Chinese restaurant lounge every now and then. It was in the sticks. The place was beautiful with huge pots and urns outside etc. This young chick in her 20's gets too drunk and flashes her boobs to the band quickly. But it didn't end there. Afterwards we are loading up and she keeps talking to us outside, then she climbs into this huge empty urn that is like 4 feet plus tall. Takes her top off and flings it at me while standing in this urn.... Sometimes it would be nice to not be married for just an hour..... :lol:

SMOKY
    -Also in the early 70's we played this little rural bar. Actually I played there a lot in my early career. It was a dive with mostly that plywood mahogany or walnut wall and ceiling covering. The small stage was quite tall. So as you stood on stage the ceiling was maybe a foot over your head. There was a big fan in the wall to pull all the smoke out of the bar. Unfortunately, that fan was right behind the band! So all the cigarette smoke in the bar was drawn right through the band! So you stood up there playing and there was this layer of smoke you could see trapped at the ceiling where your line of sight was, slowly coming right at you!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

Back in the 70's, we were packing after playing a wedding and the bride and the groom's mother were fighting, rolling around on the ground throwing punches at each other in the parking lot.

Got Twang, Moriarty, drlucky and 12 others like this.
  8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

BJ in a corner. Rough place.

9. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

In a previous band, we played a show at the Shed in Leicester. We played really hard and I was sweating like a pig.

The crowd had been moshing and slamming into each other. Then one of these dudes comes up to me straight after playing, says "well played" and all that, then he asks me for my T shirt, which was one of the band ones. I say, "sure, we've got them for sale...".

He says, "no, I want the one you're wearing!"

10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

While playing Alan Jackson's song Freight Train (a high velocity tune), to a packed house and full dance floor, a guy starts dancing, all by himself.
    Now, this dude must have been a professional dancer or something, because everyone on the floor stepped back and let him go. It was amazing. This guy literally "cleared the dance floor". Everyone stood back and just watched as he put on quite a show, I mean like a Really Big Show.
    It was awesome!
    Never saw the guy before or since, and we play that bar regularly. I wish he'd come back again...

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fred Eaglesmith’s Freight Train. Sorry to be picky, but gotta credit the songwriter. (Besides, that’s a bit of a signature tune for me.)

12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Was it Garth Brooks "If Tomorrow Never Comes"?

13. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Does murder count? A stabbing on the dance floor.

Canner, Moriarty, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No one on their hell phones

15. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I forget the '80s rock band but it was a LOUD gig. A guy in the crowd had his head inside a front-of-stage speaker horn. You could almost see his hair being blown back by the decibels.
    I bet he had no issues with dogs barking all night after that...

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I was at an Iron Maiden concert back in the '80s at the Cow Palace. We were sitting kinda to one side of the arena and a dude jumped up on the side of the stage and then tried to climb over an equipment box. He pulled the box over off the stage and all the stuff fell out. Three roadies jumped down, grabbed the guy, and pulled him back behind the stage. From our side view we could see as two of the roadies held him while another beat the living crap out of him. Then they dragged him up the steps and out the back. All happened in like a minute.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

turned out she wasn't wearing anything at all under that skirt . . .

also the slow Tuesday night at the White Eagle in Portland when the guy came running into the bar with another guy after him with a kitchen knife. Guy #1 hides behind the bar, takes a stack of those chunky yellow glass ashtrays and starts chucking them at guy #2, glass smashing everywhere, finally nails him in the forehead which give guy#1 just enough time to run back out the door with guy #2 -- knife in hand, bleeding from the forehead -- in hot pursuit. We never stopped playing.

Uncle Bob, marc2211, Moriarty and 8 others like this.
  18. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Biker Church at a biker bar on Sundays. One of the bikers would deliver a sermon every week. The subject was often female anatomy.

The first time I saw girl(s) with blue hair on the dance floor. This was in the early 80's. We were doing Wonderful Tonight and the singer changed the words long blonde hair to long blue hair on the spot. Maybe you had to be there. Not even sure why or how I remember that 35 plus years later.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My brother and I went to a dive bar to play some pool and listen to the band. We just started playing. I was watching this chick at the bar that came in with this guy, the guy was talking to another guy beside him, but his chick was talking up the guy next to her. Guy turns around and sees her kissing the other guy and punches the guys lights out and the entire bar broke out into a fight like you'd see in a old western movie.
    My brother and I grabbed a table and turned it into a shield while plowing our way to the door. We jumped in his truck and as we were leaving the parking lot, what looked like 10 police cars arrived at the scene.
    The city shut the place down because of too many fights that we didn't hear about or we wouldn't have been there. Didn't get to finish our game, but we did get 2 free beers each.

20. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

John Otway, and if you have ever seen him play you will understand

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.