Most surprising guitar you didn’t bond with?

JRtele

Tele-Meister
EVH signature Edward USA Wolfgang. Bought it after a work trip. Hated the Floyd, ended up trading at a big loss for a LP standard. When Eddie passed a month later value doubled. Way she goes. I never played it.

A013DC2A-7F41-41FD-BA97-9394E506A5EB.jpeg

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I've had a few over the last few years sadly;

- Currently a Gibson LP Special that just fights me every step of the way. Just can't get it to sound or play right. Working on it though!
- Last year a PRS SE Custom 24 - I wanted one so badly after I had and traded a PRS Santana SE in the late 90's. It was an ok guitar, just much too PRS. Even after a PU change, set up etc, it was always sounded sterile like most other PRS I have played.
- A partscaster Strat I build to be an exact copy or my #1 strat, but better... Fender neck, nitro thin skin body, Texas Specials, custom vintage loom... it was an utter disaster that never added up to the sum of the parts.

rockymtnguitar

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I had two:

- Really wanted a Fender Nashville Tele. Finally got one in a trade and never could make it work for me. Just couldn't get a feel or sound I liked. Moved it on.
- Classic Vibe Tele - I already had a CV that I'd esquired long ago and just wanted a traditional and basic Tele. Couldn't get along with it, even after a pickup swap.

Chester P Squier

Tele-Afflicted
Epiphone Dot.

I didn't buy it. It was in Guitar Center. I was there to buy a Gretsch Electromatic G5120 anyway, but I did open my mind and try the Epiphone and maybe consider getting it instead of the Gretsch.

I thought I would like it better. The first electric guitar I ever saw someone playing in person was maybe a Gibson ES-335, and I really liked its looks.

Just didn't bond with the Dot.

This was in 2008 so I could very well change my mind.

Last edited:

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
A 2000ish '62ri Tele Custom in CAR. The best looking guitar I ever owned but it was dead as a door nail when it came to tone. I had a similar Fernandes Tele around the same time, it sounded much better.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
I've played many PRS and haven't come across one that talks to me. Some felt great, but something always missing. Sound too nasal... and when they weren't too nasal sounding or honky, the body kind of felt lifeless against my body. I play clean and with my fingers, maybe that matters. any great PRS players play clean with their fingers?

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
2019 Fender American Professional Telecaster. Immediately changed the pickguard. It sounds gorgeous... It looks gorgeous... Rosewood neck...

And... Nothing. Nada. No interest.

Bought a Robert Cray Stratocaster in the spring. Immediate love. Can't put it down. Sounds fabulous, looks wonderful, great neck, incredible pickups...

Gonna sell the Pro when the spirit moves me.