Most surprising guitar you didn’t bond with?

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My 2010 American Standard Strat. It was a beautifully made guitar. Played great. Sounded great. However, got traded because I played other, sometimes lower quality in many ways, instruments more often.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
2001 PRS 22.
Sounded great. Played great. Brought it home and tried to use it on a gig. I couldn't play it while standing. I never tried that in the music store.

Learned a new rule that day. ALWAYS try out new gear in the manner I'm going to use it.

When I try new amps, I stand about 4 or 5 feet in front of it and play for a while. That's how I'm going to use it. That's how it needs to sound it's best.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
1959(?) Gibson 125T. Played great, just didn't fit the niche I expected it to fill. Sold it and kept my Silvertone. I regret every vintage guitar I have ever sold - but my house is only so big.

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
I loved my Paul Reed Smith S2 Custom 24 for about three or four months. Now it sits in its case longing to be played.

I started making my own guitars during my Covid-era term of unemployment. I really haven't played my "store bought" guitars since.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Strats in general. Love the look, many of my heroes played/play them, love the sound others get from them but I just cannot bond with a strat. When this last one sells I’m done with them. Period. Exclamation mark!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve had a few that I didn’t bond with.
3C9AFC14-A18F-4596-913E-17B27A69B541.jpeg
629F3CDC-1B44-4552-981F-68F100726E8D.jpeg
2B3BC595-7304-4F45-B54F-A56C91EEE86B.jpeg
8D94521D-DE98-4E19-A947-40FA92586E2E.jpeg
017AE3A6-E3FB-4BFC-AF46-6181E1F40287.jpeg
DC3A0AD2-7D3D-4DD1-80A0-1188BDBD4582.jpeg
1820C18E-ED5B-4BF9-A370-030A5B501136.jpeg
9C5EC2AA-E49A-4A57-B82A-2F373670564D.jpeg

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
So, it happens. You covet a guitar for as long as you can remember. Perhaps your hero played it. Perhaps all your heroes played it. Or perhaps it just entered your mind as an idea and you couldn’t get it out.

You buy it, and it’s not bad, but something just isn’t clicking. It’s not quite love, but it’s not quite disappointment. It just is.

I bought a Player Tele a few months ago and upgraded it to some of the specifications I love the sound of. But for some reason, I’m still “dating” it, and as I compare it to some of my other guitars, I’ve actually come to love my other guitars even more. Not giving up on it, but…it’s not an immediate love. It’s not the sound…but something about the feel right now. On paper, and in sound, I should love this thing, and it’s just strange that I’m not picking my new guitar up all the time. Plus, there’s now the lament over the other guitar I didn’t end up picking this time around: a Gretsch G5422TG.

I know this is pretty common, so I’m curious: what’s a guitar that you bought but were surprised when you had a hard time bonding with it? What made you want it at first, and what wasn’t clicking? And did you end up parting with it, or did it all work out in the end?

I see a lot of Players for sale that are virtually new. There must be a reason people buy these and then have them up for sale a month or two later.
I wanted one, until I went and played one.

Last edited:

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
When I was a kid I really wanted an SG.
I've had several in the early 70's, one with a Bigsby and they just never did it for me.

Also a couple of Rickenbackers, a Melody Maker, a Mustang, it was my first electric, (they were considered beginner or student guitars back then) I don't understand the current popularity.

Just sold an Ovation Viper solid body I had for years, never did anything for me.

Epiphone Scroll, Danelectros.

Last edited:

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
Rickenbacker 360. Always loved the sound of these and when I found a used one in near mint condition at a good price, I grabbed it. Just couldn't bond with the neck. Sold it on Craigslist.

I've had a couple of Rics, one was a slant fret (look it up if you don't know). They always felt cheap to me.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
So, it happens. You covet a guitar for as long as you can remember. Perhaps your hero played it. Perhaps all your heroes played it. Or perhaps it just entered your mind as an idea and you couldn’t get it out.

You buy it, and it’s not bad, but something just isn’t clicking. It’s not quite love, but it’s not quite disappointment. It just is.

I bought a Player Tele a few months ago and upgraded it to some of the specifications I love the sound of. But for some reason, I’m still “dating” it, and as I compare it to some of my other guitars, I’ve actually come to love my other guitars even more. Not giving up on it, but…it’s not an immediate love. It’s not the sound…but something about the feel right now. On paper, and in sound, I should love this thing, and it’s just strange that I’m not picking my new guitar up all the time. Plus, there’s now the lament over the other guitar I didn’t end up picking this time around: a Gretsch G5422TG.

I know this is pretty common, so I’m curious: what’s a guitar that you bought but were surprised when you had a hard time bonding with it? What made you want it at first, and what wasn’t clicking? And did you end up parting with it, or did it all work out in the end?

2014 Am Special Telecaster. I loved it upon arrival. Vintage Blond, Texas Special p/u's, great neck feel. At $799 I relished the great guitar I got at a great price, and they went up by $100 the next year, AIR..good timing... a real plum. But over the next two years I came to dislike the jumbo frets probably because my other Fenders all had medium jumbo frets and I was just so comfortable with those after playing on them for 20 years. So I sold it and found a used 2014 Nashville Tele that I've been much happier with.

dhodgeh

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
A Collings D1 Traditional with a baked top. Played one in a music store and fell in love with. Walked away from that one, but had occasion to run across another and bought it.

Sold it 6 months later after realizing that my re-imaged D-18 sounded way better.

D

Boxla

Tele-Holic
My 1997 PRS Custom 22. I keep it due to sentimental reasons but I've never been absolutely head over heels for it. I've changed the pickups and the ridiculous 5 way rotary still to no avail. It looks great, besides the 80's looking headstock, but there are so many things about it that I don't like. And this is no knock on PRS because they no doubt make some incredible guitars. The guitars that I am head over heels are my Ernie Ball Music Man Axis guitars. I've never played anything better.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I love these two brands/models of guitars…in other people’s hands.

I’ve never bonded with a Les Paul…I’ve tried…many times.

I’ve never played a Rickenbacker that felt right…

Like I said, many of my heroes play these guitars, and I love the looks and sounds of them…but I just don’t like the way they feel.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I love these two brands/models of guitars…in other people’s hands.

I’ve never bonded with a Les Paul…I’ve tried…many times.

I’ve never played a Rickenbacker that felt right…

Like I said, many of my heroes play these guitars, and I love the looks and sounds of them…but I just don’t like the way they feel.

I utterly agree regarding Rickys.
They look kinda cool, especially the Tom Petty and Roger McGuinn models, but they’re just too weird to play.
Conversely, I love Les Pauls, but for the wrong reason.
They are the coolest looking guitars, IMO.
I’ll (probably) never own a Ricky.
I have three Les Pauls and a cool knockoff (Larrivee RS4).
I really only play my 68 CP Custom reissue.
Maybe I oughta thin the herd?

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Would have to be a buddy's Les Paul Standard from about 10 years ago. I don't really blame the Paul, though. I've played Fenders with single-coils for so long, anything else just doesn't feel or sound right. I've lost a fair amount of upper-range hearing, too, and I think the single-coil high end speaks to me more clearly. I don't get political about Gibson vs. Fender, but the Way of Leo won me over when I was pretty young.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
2014 Am Special Telecaster. I loved it upon arrival. Vintage Blond, Texas Special p/u's, great neck feel. At $799 I relished the great guitar I got at a great price, and they went up by $100 the next year, AIR..good timing... a real plum. But over the next two years I came to dislike the jumbo frets probably because my other Fenders all had medium jumbo frets and I was just so comfortable with those after playing on them for 20 years. So I sold it and found a used 2014 Nashville Tele that I've been much happier with.

I bought a used Am Special a few years ago, only to find after a few months that I HATED the neck. Too thin and the frets were too big. I ended up selling the neck and replacing it with a Vintera 50s neck.