Most Positively Surprising Cheap Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by merco19, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

2. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bunch of cheap t.c. Boxes. All very good, specially the tremolo and mojo mojo

dlew919 likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of Klon type pedals, and I've tried many different affordable Chinese ones, and my two favorites are the Tone City Bad Horse, and the new Caline Medusa. They are my two favorite OD pedals out of the dozens that I've tried, with the Caline my new #1 and the Bad Horse my #2 medusa.jpg 010089087xl.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Take your pick. I’ve struck gold with all of these.

4CF39B86-F39A-4105-B687-B935978192B0.jpeg

merco19 and radiocaster like this.
  5. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

+1 for the Joyo AC Tone and American Sound. I've been using both as drive pedals into a clean amp for a while and always thought they were great.

Recently I bought a Nux Mini Studio IR pedal, and running Joyo > Nux > monitor is something else altogether! It was meant to be a stop-gap before moving on to a "proper" modeller, but I'm thinking of sticking with this for the time being, it sounds that good.

GFrank and glenlivet like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

These are the pedals I have that have been surprisingly good.

Joyo American Sound $35, I had put away my Strats for a long time until I got this pedal.
    Azor 303 (BMP clone) $20
    Black Rat (RAT) $25
    Mulady Golden Horse (Klon) $25, which stacks really well with the Rat.
    Ammoon/Kokko SOS FLP2 Looper (Ditto Mini) $35

If you want to see what current pedals and brands are sitting in the "Awesome pedals for $20" category this youtube channel is pretty busy, I suspect because his view count is super high with this topic so he keeps testing pedals and making new videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=60+cycle+hum+affordaboard

merco19 and neilybob100 like this.
  7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I've got my eyes on The Nux Mini studio since a few months, i also use the Joyo A. Sound to play direct, i've just bought the Mooer Micro D.I. and the sound that i have is better than with the Joyo alone but i'm really tempted to get a proper I.R. pedal like the Mooer Radar or the Nux Mini Studio.

Is there really much difference compared to the Joyo alone when you use the Nux ?

Thanks....

8. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I recently purchased a DigiTech Bad Monkey having never tried a tubescreamer style pedal. Wow!! £40 bargain and sounds amazing.

I also have a whole host of the Tone City pedals. After the hype for them started to die off a bit I grab a load of them, mostly £20 from FB marketplace. Great selection of tones.

I did buy an NOS Marshall Drivemaster for £17.99 last year.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have been pretty impressed with the Mooer Yellow compressor. After not having a comp on my board for years I grabbed one used just to dip my toe back in the water. I see no reason to upgrade.

dlew919 and Pixies2005 like this.
  10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Just got this and it is awesome for 28$. Can’t wait for practice tomorrow!!

DFB1 likes this.
  11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I got a used Pure Sky today for $21 at my local MusicGoRound based on good reviews in this and several other threads. During a very brief test today, I got a lot of hum with all the knobs at noon. I didn't have time to try other amps and guitars, but hope what I heard can be dialed out. The drive did sound very good, fuller than I expected, so looking forward to getting rid of the hum with some changes to the settings.

12. ezrydr

ezrydr Tele-Meister

‘cheap’ is relative

one of the most expensive pedals I own is actually the lowest cost and best value

I’ve gone through dozens of pedals with as many as a dozen on my board at any given time

up until about 2 years ago.

then i acquired an EvenTide H9

my pedal board now has 3 pedals.

Ibanez Tube Screamer
    H9
    Dunlop mini volume pedal

The H9 is the best investment I’ve made and with 52 algorithms (effects) and 500 presets there is nothing else I can imagine ever needing.

at about $13 per effect its the cheapest and best pedal out there IMO

merco19 and dlew919 like this.
  13. RaiFer

RaiFer TDPRI Member

+1 in Boss DS1, the distortion I prefer in my set-up (single coils and break-up amp).
    +1 in TC Electronic MojoMojo, great overdrive.
    New one (I didn´t see it mentioned) - Joyo Dyna Comp, great overall compressor without the noise.

Curious about the Movall Busy Bee, everything I see of it is great, but never tried it.

14. bolintrucks

bolintrucks TDPRI Member

TC MojoMojo OD. Much more touch sensitive than any other OD for under $50

merco19 likes this.
  15. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Once upon a time a Thomas Organ Cry Baby Wah at a yard sale for $2...

More recently a Behringer VP-1 Vintage Phase... new at Sweetwater when I got mine it was $23.99... now they've worked their wooly wurly way up to $33
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VP1phase--behringer-vp1-vintage-phaser-pedal

A really truly ooly nice sounding phase shifter.

Looks like an old Electro-Harmonix Small Stone pedal (the new Small Stone is in one of their "Nano" sized boxes now-days)... here's a pic of the old style EHX box...
    https://c1.zzounds.com/media/produc...sma_0021-df10f73dc51802c1729ff7aea40e09a0.jpg

Kind of like how Behringer mixers get away with looking amazingly exactly like Mackie mixers, knobs and all...

The Vintage Phaser has a really nice sweep with the "tone" switch engaged and the one knob at abour 9-o'clock... its so cheap its not worth anything to sell, and will probably avoid my mad dash to the pawn shop for gas money... haha

16. grinder124

grinder124 TDPRI Member

I always carry an extra Fab distortion...great cheap pedal!

17. FlyGuy10

FlyGuy10 TDPRI Member

T-Rex Crunchy Frog. Can be found for around $50-$65 and slays every Fulltone Fulldrive (or any other tube screamer variant I've played) to date.

merco19 likes this.
  18. miotch

miotch TDPRI Member

Muselady (Mosky) Golden Horse. Far exceeds expectations and is usually on. Ordered a Mosky, but got a Muselady, which I'm pretty sure is the exact same thing. Never had a Clon nor a klone of one until this one. Might need to try DougM's recommendations someday. But perfectly happy now with this cheapie.

19. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

Tone City Sweet Cream. Saw it on an Anderton's OD shootout. Less than $50 and just brilliant.

Really good tones and more versatile than I expected.

Stacks brilliantly with a BD-2 Blue Driver.

neilybob100 likes this.
  20. IrishDad95

IrishDad95 TDPRI Member Double Platinum Supporter

Behringer's Ultra Vibrato, the UV300 -- I bought the first one on a lark, just to try vib and became hooked. Now I have two, the second one has a switch added by Mike's Mods that allows for slower speeds. I had vibrato on a Fender Showman 65-watt from 1969. I rarely used it, although the amp was my go-to for large venues. The amp was stolen several years ago. Obviously the pedal is far more versatile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.