Most Positively Surprising Cheap Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by merco19, Jun 19, 2020.

1. merco19

merco19 TDPRI Member

What has been a cheap pedal that exceeded your expectations, and why?

BSG1 and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  2. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

ok, Ill put up the Aroma or Tom-line Germanium fuzz's. There's two versions AGF3 and AGF5 and they have been available for about $30. Mines the 5, but Im pretty sure they are same circuit, just a different case style.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6G2IIW/?tag=tdpri-20

51m4yxSlVGL._SL1000_.jpg
    Its a proper Fuzz-face circuit with germanium transistors, but set within a circuit that will run on a normal daisy chain power supply, with an LED and true bypass, and a sturdy metal box. It does all the quirky responses that a real Fuzz-face should, with thick wooly fuzz at max guitar volume that cleans up really well with a bit of reduced volume at the guitar. Its nicely presented and there's nothing to lose!

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Danelectro FAB Overdrive. Plastic, cheap as you like. One of the finest solid state overdrives I've ever heard!
    Danelectro FAB Distortion. Plastic, cheap as you like. Really really good sounds from it.
    Rowin LEF-606 Fuzz. A basic three-knob fuzz that is so controllable. Rasp to raucous via the volume knob on the guitar. A super fine fuzz, regardless of cost.
    Tom's Line G-Fuzz. Germanium goodness. Real, honest, fuzzy goodness for the price of a burger or two.

All the above punch way above their weight, but the gold star goes to...

Joyo American Sound

The Youtube demos sound good. Users on different fora all remark on what a fine pedal it is. I bought one, and wonder why it took me so long. It's an amp in a pedal if you hook it up to a P.A or powered speaker. It's a recording solution. It's a 'flavour' generator. I like to use mine into a flat amp to make it sound remarkably like a Fender in trouble. It's an overdrive. It's a way of making a Champ sound like its on full volume without increasing the volume. Hook it up via an active D.I into a valve pre-amp then into an interface/mixer, and you have an acceptable, simple recording solution. Sure, the cab emulation is a little ropey, but that's where your D.I or impulse responses can help. Set up just right, it can cover a heck of a lot of ground. Drive to set the gain sound, Voice to alter the characteristics of the amp it's 'emulating' ( My parenthesis, I'm not sure what the term is ) and Level for the output with a TMB tonestack to play with. Boost or cut those mids!

The Joyo AS is one of those things that should be a part of your armoury, along with a decent D.I and EQ pedal.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Joyo AC Tone. I actually liked it better than the Strymon Iridium for a Vox style tone. Not bad for $30 used.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, in full agreement there. Try the Silicon version too.

merco19 likes this.
  6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

A0AA113F-7B38-416E-A314-C358041E0F9C.jpeg Worth. Every. Penny.

IMadeYouReadThis, merco19 and The-Kid like this.
  7. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Danelectro tuna melt tremolo

8. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve Tele-Meister

TC Electronic 3rd Dimension

dlew919 and merco19 like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Donner Alchemy. 8 modulation effects in a tiny well built pedal. Two types of Tremelo, U-Vibe, rotary, chorus, flanger, phaser etc

jam01add likes this.
  10. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Joyo Sweet Baby is pretty good as a cheap moderate overdrive, though flimsy construction, I would like to try one it copies, The Sweet Honey

BB and The Angle like this.
  11. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

In 1979 I bought a big muff for $15 (everyone I played with thought I was crazy) and then about 7 years after that I was raving about it to someone at a store and he pulled out a 1980 little big muff for $20 and I bought that on the spot.

12. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

A used Rat

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

WORD - big box
    $5 US - yard sale!

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This MXR was the cheap ' made for GC' companion to the green MXR Classic Overdrive ( a pretty strong TS type, with a lot of range)
    Both came out maybe 12-15 years ago, and I bought both! $30 or $35

This MXR Classic Distortion ( with a 'remove one resistor to brighten up' mod, that I learned about here on TDPRI!) is really much more an OD, or dirty boost?
    All I know is I can get some pretty nice cranked BF Fender amp sounds ( Layla album Strat or say Danny Gatton snarl) with the Gain at 3 clock, and Tone at 1:00 clock, when using my Clean Fender combos.
    Always knocks me out how good this sounds, still!
    20200619_192027.jpg

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought one of these used for about $50 maybe 15 years ago. It has so many great uses: IMG_4553.JPG

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Hell even a new RAT ll. Under 80 bucks I think

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in 2010 I bought a package deal from musicians friend. It was a box of Danelectro Cool Cat pedals. I got the V1 Transparent OD, the Trem, and and the Vibe. It was less than $100 for the three pack. That is the best pedal purchase I have ever made. I’ve since given them all away, but man they were amazing, and not just “for the money”.

I gave the OD to a much younger player who used to show up to the jams I guest hosted all the time. He fell totally in love with it, and by that time you couldn’t find them anywhere, and I had several other OD pedals. I saw him at a gig about a year ago and he still had it on his board as his main OD.

I gave the vibe to my buddy Ben Nieves. His univibe died when he was doing a bunch of touring with Big Brother and the Holding Company maybe ten years ago, and I wasn’t using it. So I just pitched it his way one night at a bar when he told me his vibe had died. It was part of his travel board until Sam Andrew passed and they folded up.

The trem went to a friend out in Colorado. I always said I’d keep it on my board until it died, and then I’d get a fulltone Supa-Trem. My brother got me one for my birthday one year, so I gave the cool cat away.

I’d gig again in a heartbeat with any of those pedals. They were fantastic.

19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Where those Danos 9V or 18V?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.