1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most outrageous impulse buy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by icantplaywellyet, Jan 22, 2021.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Not an impulse buy, it was a planned purchase. However, I ended up going seriously over budget on a high end home audio system. I love the system but I've had a bad case of buyer's remorse ever since the purchase. I had been researching systems and components for over a year and was ready to make a final decision. But I kept going for the next, more expensive, component/s and ended up buying a system that was comparable in price to a full sized new car. Sometimes I can be an undisciplined buyer, not sticking to my budget and always going for something more costly. Like I said, I love the system. It sounds incredible beyond description. And, I'm retired. So I am getting maximum enjoyment from the system. I can't think of anything else I'd rather have. But, I need to work on being a more disciplined buyer.

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

That is called budget creep. You can always justify spending a bit more to go nicer, then that becomes the new budget. Repeat a few times and the budget quickly spirals out of control.

AAT65 likes this.
  3. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We bought a second house next door. About 8 years ago our neighbors, of 22 quiet congenial years, told us they had inherited the family farm and would be moving soon. We were devastated picturing new people, midnight basketball, motorheads at 2 am, who knows what.

After 8 months, 5 open houses, 3 price reductions (remember the housing market collapse), there were no takers. Most of the people who showed weren't families but property owners looking for rental income. Ugh.

Serendipitously, we had just inherited a small but generous amount from my late mother-in-law. And somehow we decided to take the house with no real idea what to do with it.
    It has since become a very necessary thing for our us and our family.

It's kinda like a staycation home, if you need a change of scenery, but has become a guest house for other members of our family, rooms for my wife's and my hobbies (I can get loud if I want), a kitchen for just baking, a much appreciated second bathroom, and a very pleasant back room (an old addition) with large windows we can watch the weather, birds, our grandchildren etc.

As of last March it has been a refuge for one of my daughters and her young son harboring from the pandemic. I hope to get the house back at some point but it's serving a greater purpose right now.

Not a purchase we regret. Impulses will get ya. Worked out this time :rolleyes::)

AAT65 and trev333 like this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

$10,000 for a Franklin OM 28 built by Nick Kukich. Brazilian Rosewood and German Spruce, it was magnificent in appearance, set up, playability, tone, and desirability.
    I had to sell it to pay the IRS after I used the capital gains from my oil and gas lease to put on a new roof.
    The roof was 22.5 K.
    Oil company check was 24,950.
    Taxes were $6,500.
    Quick sale on the Franklin was 8K.
    It still hurts

5. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I was standing in line waiting for the tech and the guy behind me had a Marshall JMP that he was bringing infor repair before selling it. He was leaving town and didn't want to wait for it or spend the $ on the rpair. We haggled a bit and I bought it off him (not working) for $400. Another $400 in repairs and it's good to go. Later sold it for $1200
    20180413_151231.jpg

northernguitar likes this.
  6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

OK , second answer and this one is so fresh I’m still breathing hard:

A few responses up from this post I said I had a Beard Squareneck Resonator coming in, purchased yesterday after weeks of consideration...not impulsive but kind of outrageous to my wallet.

Then on a forum where weeks ago I posted a search for a used squareneck reso, I discovered a response I missed on a vintage dobro. The price was not to be ignored...but the other (new) reso is being shipped and I really DO want it...

So, as of a few minutes ago, this impulse became a purchase:

442F98C6-DAAF-4566-8F88-6C8EC97BF271.png

7. icantplaywellyet

icantplaywellyet TDPRI Member

+++1

:)

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Yep, you diagnosed it correctly. Fortunately, I had the money to pay for it. It does sound sublime. But I could have gotten by spending half of what I spent and been just as happy. Oh well, live and learn. Think I'll go listen to my new stereo.

9. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A tenor banjo. When I was young and dumb, only 66 years old. A half-hour after purchase, I realized, I'm never going to enjoy this [email protected]%^& thing very much.

10. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Roland GR-20

Still in the box :rolleyes:

11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I had a friend once tell me I did not want to own a boat, he said it would be better to make a friend who owned a boat. LOL

CapnCrunch likes this.
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

In guitar gear, the Blue Cube Tour head I bought at a very deep discount barely-used. Glad I did. It's a fantastic amplifier. I kinda want to take advantage of a deal I found on a second in order to run them with different capsules.

13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I had a friend who told me, “There are only two good days owning a boat — the day you get it, and the day you get rid of it.”

CapnCrunch likes this.
  14. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Went into a shop in 1983 to buy a bottle of Discwasher fluid. Walked out with a pair of Boston A100's that are my primary hifi speakers to this day. So it was a good purchase in hindsight.

15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Bought a lot of lies.

16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I went to buy a used amber Lucite kit in Bonham sizes for under $2k, $5k later I left with this:

Bonham Kit.jpg

They only sold 50 of this kit in the US, and I'd been drooling over this particular kit for the better part of a decade. It's set up in my music room right now, where it's been for the better part of another decade.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.