1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most outrageous impulse buy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by icantplaywellyet, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

For me it was this...

[​IMG]

1993 Mercury Topaz but mine was in blue. My wife's car broke down in town and the tow truck towed her to the Ford Dealership to get it fixed. They told her it was beyond repair and that she should just look at a new car. They showed her the Topaz and when I got home it was setting in my driveway. I asked what was up and she told me we needed to go to the dealership in the morning (Saturday) to fill out the paperwork.
    I asked her what had happened to her car and she told me it was broken and they could not fix it. I asked how much the new one was and she said she did not know. We drove the car around that evening and I was shocked to see it had almost 7K on the odometer. So we roll into the dealership in the AM and the sales guy has the paperwork all filled out.
    Only $325 a month payment to Ford Motor Credit and they would take care of everything.
    I signed the stupid piece of paper as my wife was in love with that car. She thought it looked like a BMW :(

I paid on that car for a year and one day it hit me. I have a five year note at $325 a month making my total payout at $19,500.00. I thought I had seen where those cars were less than $12K brand new and I had bought one that had 7 grand on the odometer.

When I got home I pulled out that buying contract that I had stashed away.
    Sale price for the car was $12K, the additional 7500 total payout was interest figured at 21%APR. Yeah I bought a car on a credit card. The kicker was they did not even give me salvage cost on my wife's car that was not fixable, the contact showed a trade in value of $1. By the way her "non fixable" car drove past me at an intersection about a month later.

I ended up calling my bank and told them my sad tale. They agreed to finance the car for 48 months at $248 a month. A $75 savings per month and with no extra time added.

It was the last impulse car buy I ever made.

Now that new driver that is in the golf bag.... we don't want to talk about that. It is supposed to go 15 yards further!

2. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Usually I buy things in a methodical drawn out way where I know the market well and what I am looking for. But every once in a while I will happen upon something that I haven't been actively looking for but I will never get a second chance to get one. Several years ago I came across an original Broadcaster for sale by someone that needed cash right away and decided to buy it that day. I knew I'd never find one with original electronics at that price so the choice was easy.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I once bought into the concept of marriage.

Turned out to be a fool's errand, and I was the one wearing a hat with bells on it.

I gave it the ol' college try, but in the end I had one of three available choices to make:

-Suicide
    -Murder
    -Divorce

I think I made the correct one. You guys are smart and can decide which one 'cause I ain't sayin'!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    kranz, telemnemonics and Frodebro like this.
  4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

A $30k Kubota tractor. Sold it years later, it had less than ten hours on it and most of that was driving around the neighborhood on beer runs. LMAO.

5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Grabbed a silverface bassman 10 on Tuesday night. It sat on CL for several weeks so I made an offer.

I don't need more amps.

telemaster03 likes this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

likewise, though maybe 100 for me. and on things that can't be discussed on this forum.

the way that i generally see people who make over the median income spend, it's uh, pretty hard for me to have any empathy whatsoever when they start talking about debt or taxes.

7. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I hope it’s Texas Tea! Tell me you weren’t so impulsive that you skipped the best color on the planet:p

8. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Sort of impulse buy....

My wife was after me a few years ago to get a new car. I decided I was going to get a truck, until I saw the sticker on what I wanted. Then I began looking, and ended up with a C Class AMG MB. I leased it, and after three years....I had a truck....

It was a nice, comfortable, FAST and fun car. Sort of like a boat, the two best days were when I picked it up and when I dropped it off...

9. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

My biggest impulse buy was probably a boat. I did not know then that boat is a mnemonic for "break out another thousand" I do now, and am no longer a boat owner........If you've seen the Tshirt that defines Boat as "a hole in the water into which you pour money" then take note.

Forewarned is forearmed.

10. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I impulsively bought a Dodge Grand Caravan off a friend of my father’s. Initially, it didn’t seem too outrageous. However, after replacing the transmission twice, I was pretty ****-ing outraged!!

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

The hot market thing wasn't even the situation with my impulse bought house. My wife and I were living in an apartment and hadn't even talked about buying a house. We were out one day and drove by a neighborhood that had houses being constructed. Stopped by the model home and signed a contract about 90 minutes later.

The car was similar. We were out shopping and passed the Honda dealership. They had an orange Honda Element out front. I said to my wife "I always wanted to look at one of those". 2 hours later I was driving it home.

12. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This Tele type was an impulse, but at $265 not outrageous for me

3867DC51-99D6-48CD-9869-858BDC88A2C0.jpeg

It just came in today...did not need it.

On the other hand, I dropped an almost outrageous amount this mrning on a reso guitar, but it was not an impulse

478AA43C-C4ED-4997-A3EF-B9BF6AB825EC.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    kookaburra and gregulator450 like this.
  13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

My most recent impulse buy was this past May. I really wanted a low wattage tube amp with an attenuator. So, I got the Tone King Gremlin. It is fantastic for jamming at home and not bothering others.

Fluddman likes this.
  14. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Speaking of Kawasaki parallel twins, I owned an EX-500 a long time ago. It was a great little bike, I wish I still owned it.

15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

My 2014 Les Paul Traditional. I bought it from Sweetwater on impulse after my 6th Martini, or whatever the hell I was drinking that night. It was a good impulse.

kookaburra likes this.
  16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Speaking of cars, I impulse bought a '71 Dodge Challenger that needed a total restoration. Bought it for $15,000 and sold it for $10,000 a year later. Stupid is as stupid does.

kookaburra likes this.
  17. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

3 times in my life I’ve gone to the dealers to have my oil changed and came home with a different vehicle.
    The worst part is “after” I paid for the oil change.

Bob

telleutelleme likes this.
  18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know. I make a lot of zany, spontaneous purchases.

I once bought a women’s bike after a short test ride.

I bought a $2,000 guitar because I had a substantial down payment in my pocket.

After buying a used pedal at a store, getting the pedal home and finding that it didn’t sound so good with my amps, I drove back to the store and bought the amp I tried it with.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You did this relatively soon after you joined TDPRI, so as you can see by the confessions above, you have been enthusiastically cajoled into following their fate.;)

20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Expensive Watch. Never owned any watch over $20. At the time I had a $17 Seiko I bought in Japan in 1966.

My business was doing well and my wife and I were on a vacation in the Caribbean and we went on a one-day yacht cruise with another couple our age. We didn't know them. I asked the guy what he did for a living. He said he raced cigar boats. He had a Breitling watch which was twice the size of his wrist. I saw one in a duty free store a few days later and dropped $800 bucks for it. It's worth a lot more but at the time that was big money for a watch and I'm sure I bought it because I was jealous of that other guy. I don't regret it and it has been a great watch, but the service costs are still more than most watches cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.