Most Hated Workshop Task

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Maybe I'm just feeling cocky because I just changed a bandsaw tire without committing suicide even once, but it brought to mind the question; does it get any worse? I loathe pretty much anything involving files and nearly all finishing tasks, but I think bandsaw tires are the bottom of the barrel for me. What makes you wish you'd become a smoke jumper instead?

kctelegas

Tele-Meister
Until recently I worked in a school with an old Powermatic 180 planer. It has a grinding attachment that sharpens the knives while installed in the cutterhead. Table, infeed and outfeed rollers, etc. had to be set up every time it was sharpened. Incredibly tedious process using dial caliper and feeler gauges. I would do it only when the shop was closed with no distractions. Were I still working there, I'd probably be doing it this week in preparation for the fall semester. Not missing it. At all.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Another one.

Remember that tool or part you packed away a month or so ago because you never use it? Tonight you need it so you have to remember where it was put and move a bunch of stuff to dig it out.

Another one.

Labeling boxes so you can find it easier weeks later. Or, Labeling where tools should go on the pegboard.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I have a small workspace in my garage. We live in the Pacific NW where if you want to paint something in the winter, it has to be indoors. If I want to spray something, I have to move my truck and my car out of the garage to do it..... pita.... at least my garage is heated

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I can get pretty twisted up thinking about a job before I start it. Once I pick up my tools and start doing the job, thankfully, that anxiety goes away.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I dread cleaning my shop. When I'm done with a project it's always such a mess, and usually takes me a whole day to clean up afterwards. Oh well... is what it is ;)

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Trying to finish a project I've lost interest in. I've only got one hanging around right now, it's been going on for 12 or 13 years.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
If it's painful, I don't do it. Bug infestations, that's another thing. Bomb 'em, vacuum 'em up. Have to do it.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
These days, it's soldering. You can't do it by feel, and my eyesight's not good enough anymore.
here is my solution and it works well
I took apart an old PC laptop took the 15inch screen out of it bought a 15.00 driver board for it used a DVI cable from my Mac laptop and made it my second screen , then I bought a USB microscope to attach to the Mac laptop laptop now If I have a visual soldering issue I can see in upto 600 times magnification
P1012490.JPG

and got these for my early birthday present they have a very bright LED lamp thet illuminates right where you need the light to be these are called dental loupes

loupes.png

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
for me its the "I have to make , build , create , repair or design a tool I need for any given job or project , spoils the creative buzz I have some times