1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most frivolous guitar accessory I purchased

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Nothing to do with your problem, but a plumber friend when I asked about warranties on water heaters told me this. When you buy a six, ten, or twelve year warranty it's basically the same water heater, you're just prepaying the warranty insurance. I never buy extended warranties, home warranties or the like. I have found over the years, if you just figure you're saving 500 dollars a year on a home warranty for instance, if you don't have a problem for five years, you have saved $2500 and can use that to address the problem. I tend to buy new on anything, and usually have pretty good luck without buying any extra warranty.

I'm an avid golfer, the new equipment every year promises to hit the ball farther, straighter, and more easily controlled. I've been listening to these claims for over fifty years. I figure with all the improvements over the years, a gold driver ought to go about 500 yards, surely a five iron is good for 250, and one putt from anywhere on the green. If I buy the right stuff, I ought to able to shoot about twenty on a good day for 18 holes.

39martind18 and RobRiggs like this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Because of the tiny little screen on my cel phone (and my bad eyes) I thought your bridge and pick guard were galvanized rather than engraved. They look good when I zoom in and can tell see the engraving :)

3. Toto'sDad

Well I would sell this one cheap, but I CAN'T. Not and get along with the biscuit maker! :lol::lol::lol:

P Thought and RobRiggs like this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've bought several recording devices, new and used, and never figured out how to use any of them. Some kind of mental block, and I'm kind of a solipsist anyway.

colnago and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You probably just haven't played the right effects long enough loud enough or often enough.

Anyway now, at almost any price, that would be a frivolous purchase for me.

P.S. I generally agree with you about the warranty thing, but I made out like a rat bandit with the extended warranty they talked me into on my new diesel pickup, a 2011. That was the first model year with the diesel exhaust fluid system, and I'm pretty sure we replaced every part on it before it spent any time working right, the last fix (knock wood), just before the plan expired.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Toto'sDad

My wife's cousin made a generous offer a few years back. He's a movie stuntman, and offered to have a friend of his who has a recording studio do two or three hours with me and an acoustic doing a some songs just for fun. This was after my son died, if he had made the offer before he passed I would have jumped on it, but I just never got around to it. Another friend gave me some high-tech recording stuff, I was overwhelmed with the learning curve, and had little interest to boot. As tactfully as I could, I just returned it all, and said thank you.

P Thought likes this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Stuff I bought and didn’t get used - that’s frivolous to me.

DF03D9EE-EEB9-455E-9F0D-B855A23F8163.jpeg

Yeeeeah, I think it was +/- $50 new. Said to be a thrifty version of a BD-2. Got it over 15 years ago, tried it a few times, don’t have time or interest to sell it. Maybe some day it will be tone nirvana! Sure.

8449CD1B-3ADD-441B-A35D-63D5D238CF5C.jpeg

Stew Mac roller bridge. I think it cost more than the pedal above. Another historic acquisition; It was an add-on to a Bigsby. Thought for sure I needed it for the Bigsby. Didn’t. The Bigsby went on an Epi LP jr. with a lightning bridge - works fine. Maybe I need to buy another Bigsby.
    Right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.