1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most Foolish looking Tele player

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by robmc_68, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Its all in good fun ...Lighten up a little jeeeezzzz !

2. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

3. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^^^^^^

Mur
    They don't look "foolish" .... they're just expressing themselves artistically.

4. Mulldune

Mulldune Tele-Meister

Id have to put myself in as the most foolish looking Tele guy,you know with my glasses ,and pointy elbows and all

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

John 5 has more talent in his pinky then I will ever have. How many guitarists have the cajone's to go on stage in front of 5K metal heads and start chicken picking? Only one guy that I know of.

It rather amusing how many metal guitarists out there will never get any respect from the music community because of how they look. I guess they need to go out on stage stoned out of their mind wearing 30 scarfs and pass out 3 minutes into the first song to get some respect :lol:.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Actually, I like it when a person goes all out and takes into consideration things that are not necessarily a part of the music. Song titles, band names, stage look, when these are done well and with originality, it helps present the music in a certain light.

The interesting thing about John 5's makeup is, first, that it is extremely well done, and second, he experiments and tries different things. There is no way to say this without it seeming sarcastic, but it's not meant that way, but, I think he definitely has done more with make-up than anyone else in music. Other artists may have iconic looks, a la Kiss, but John 5 keeps coming up with new stuff. It cannot be easy doing that, and must take an incredible amount of time and effort (and failures). That is what I love about great artists of all kinds, the intensity of their effort.

7. Lunchie

well said sir...

8. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i am not a fan of the painted on make up - but i am a fan of variety. i do like it that j5 looks different from slash who looks different than marty stuart who looks different than jeff buckley who looks different than danny gatton.

so vive la différence :p

9. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

The guy isn't as daft as he looks and has to be clever to play what he does.My theory is that he dresses like that so's he can whip it all off and get into normal places to see gigs etc. and not be bothered by the usual plonkers!

10. RollTide

RollTide Tele-Meister

Fender obviously values his opinion and his skill. He has a huge collection and a deep love for our beloved Telecaster. Though I don't buy his music, I can definitely appreciate his knowledge and skill. Fender thinks highly enough of him to give him a signature series, artist profile page, and get his opinions on their American Vintage Series - certainly not created for metal shredding. I think that speaks volumes. See video below.

Fender Artist Profile Page

11. Tonemonkey

Nothing New Under the Sun

+1 to all the above:

Attached Files:

12. Lunchie

The first couple The Crows were great, even though they are pretty much the same exact movie. Not sure if they stopped after the the one with Edward Furlong or not but that one was just horrible.

13. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

Personally I feel that cowboy boots and a hat are a lot sillier than lipstick and eyeliner on a guy. Living where I live, the former belongs to old TV shows whereas the latter is something I see every day when I walk around the city but I wouldn't go posting about it on the Internet. I find picking on people highly distasteful.

14. Tonemonkey

So why are you "Picking on" (by your definition) country music practitioners?

No-one here is picking on anyone..... yourself included. :rolleyes:

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

From the forum FAQ:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!

I think that even includes how we speak about the better-known members of the TDPRI.

16. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

My point was that people who dress like cowboys look to me like something from a comic book, probably just like John 5 looks to the guy who started this thread. However, I can't understand why one would open a thread about it and say that it's hard to take someone like that seriously. It feels pretty disrespectful to me.

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

+1

If OP had said his sig model tele was fugly I could agree on that.. :D

19. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I'd never heard of John 5 until now. Guy can PLAY. The makeup is over the top for me but I see it no different than Angus Youngs schoolboy outfit or Kiss' make up. It's an act. I seriously doubt he dresses like that other than on stage

20. Tonemonkey

What do you mean "for no good reason"?

J5 wasn't born like that, he made an "Image Choice" in order to create a "reaction". At that point he handed over a certain amount of control to the freewill of others. Many such as yourself give him the reaction I suspect he desires - others don't.

I respect him as a player and a fellow human being - I also know that we cannot demand how people perceive us, only influence it by our deportment.

If I dress like a fish, I suspect that certain people will think I look like a fish and might even laugh, despite my right to choose my own lifestyle. Slinging a cool Tele, makes me a fish with a cool tele. Playing it well makes me a fish who plays his cool tele really well .... bottom line, I'm still dressed like a fish, and thats silly, so I expect to be laughed at by all except "Fish Worshippers" and do-gooders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.