Most famous thing about Osage Minnesota.

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
The sign on Osage Bait and Tackle, the only gas station, bait shop, bar, restaurant in town. People stop and take pictures of the sign all the time. Just saw someone had posted it on FB and from the comments it's plain to see not everyone gets small town humor.
FB_IMG_1640014767191.jpg

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Reminds of our not-sadly-departed Shrigley Dyeworks... They hustled their big trucks around the skinny streets of the village - and if you didn't get out of the way quick enough, the slogan above the cab windows might change your mind... "We Live to Dye"

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The sign on Osage Bait and Tackle, the only gas station, bait shop, bar, restaurant in town. People stop and take pictures of the sign all the time. Just saw someone had posted it on FB and from the comments it's plain to see not everyone gets small town humor.
View attachment 930835
You just don't see that kind of truth in advertising anymore.
No integrity left, I guess.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know about Osage but I was born in Fairibault once Tulip Capital of the World and home of the State Mental Institution. Heard the words "Hey Ma, another one's escaped more than a few times during my childhood.:eek:

Last edited:

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Love it.

Reminds me of a sign I saw once:

Free Tibet
(While supplies last!)

Substitute "Brittany" for Tibet if Tibet isn't your thing.

Related and unrelated to the OP - If you want to read a great non-fiction book about the Osage Indians, check out "Death of the Flower Moon." Fact is stranger and usually more interesting than fiction.

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
Love it.

Reminds me of a sign I saw once:

Free Tibet
(While supplies last!)

Substitute "Brittany" for Tibet if Tibet isn't your thing.

Related and unrelated to the OP - If you want to read a great non-fiction book about the Osage Indians, check out "Death of the Flower Moon." Fact is stranger and usually more interesting than fiction.

I bet that is a good book although the town wasn't named after that tribe from much further south. Some say it was named after Osage Iowa. Others say the fellow that lead the first settlers here signed his name "O Sage" because he couldn't spell his God given name and was usually quite drunk. He was hired to lead the wagon train to Oregon. Besides being a poor speller he wasn't real good at finding his way in the wilderness, they started in the Montana Territories. Where he'd been an unsuccessful scout for the 7th Cavalry, something he did not disclose until the trip ended here. Whatever his true name was, he has the distinction of being the first person tarred, feathered, shot and hung in town.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
I bet that is a good book although the town wasn't named after that tribe from much further south. Some say it was named after Osage Iowa. Others say the fellow that lead the first settlers here signed his name "O Sage" because he couldn't spell his God given name and was usually quite drunk. He was hired to lead the wagon train to Oregon. Besides being a poor speller he wasn't real good at finding his way in the wilderness, they started in the Montana Territories. Where he'd been an unsuccessful scout for the 7th Cavalry, something he did not disclose until the trip ended here. Whatever his true name was, he has the distinction of being the first person tarred, feathered, shot and hung in town.

That's a great story. It sounds a bit apocryphal but sometimes such stories are true or have truthful origins with colorful augmentations courtesy of historical retellings.

You are correct about the southern location of the Osage Indians (Oklahoma).

Question: Has anyone ever found out who was responsible for the Minnesota term, "hot dish"?

The first time I heard that term was when I in the twin cities and a guy said something about an attractive woman like, "Her hot dish is great." The manner in which he stated it I thought it was a sexual reference. I asked, "hot dish"? And he explained. During my short time up there I heard that term a lot! Who came up with it???