Most famous person you've met?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalicaster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Bob Dylan. We opened a few shows for him in the mid 90s. I only spoke to him once.

I was watching their soundcheck and I was wearing a New Jersey Turnpike t-shirt when he walked by me he told me he liked it.

8barlouie likes this.
  2. swany

swany Tele-Meister

John Wayne, picked my sister up at his house, she was friends with the daughter of his second wife, (if I remember correctly).
    He answered the back door, very pleasant, (I was just a kid). Gate guarded island, in Newport harbor, Newport Beach California.

Toto'sDad and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I've met a few, mostly a long time ago, but my two favorites are:

• Bernard Purdie (most recorded drummer in the world) - invited me to his table for a couple of drinks at a club where my band was playing in Hilton Head SC in the late 80's. He had been sitting alone at a table in front, for a couple of sets. I had no idea who he was. We talked, mostly about music, for the whole break and at the end he gives me his card and says to come by his studio in NYC if I'm ever in the neighborhood. I look at the card and can't believe it. I blurt, "You are "Pretty" Purdie???" He laughs and confirms. I still have that card. Wonderful, humble man and I am still thrilled to have met him. I have admired his drumming for decades.
    • Tony Bennett (another very nice man) - we met at dinner in Buenos Aires in 1994. He was doing a show in Bs As and was staying in the hotel I was in. We started talking in the restaurant and shared an elevator up to our rooms. Next day, I saw him in the lobby and went over to introduce the Argentinian woman I was dating (we got married later that year and are married still). We still joke that the fact that I "knew" Tony Bennett is what sealed the deal. :)

8barlouie and swany like this.
  4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Too many to mention, and some of them are friends.

Having said that, I love these threads because I get to tell my Geezer Butler story.

In the 90's. Geezer had a solo project for which he was looking for a new lead singer, as Burton Bell from Fear Factory, who sang on his first solo album, was leaving.

I sent in a demo tape and his wife Gloria Butler called me a few days later to tell me that Geezer loved my voice and would like to fly me out to Boston for the auditions.

It was a big deal for me, as Black Sabbath were the band that got me into rock music in the first place.

They paid my way, carted me around and I met Geezer and the band at the recording studio (Longview Farm), where I sang to their multi-track recordings while Geezer and the band watched me from the other side of the glass.

It was just like that movie "Rock Star", except I didn't end up getting the gig.

I listen to the songs I sent Geezer on that demo, and I have to say, they still kick ass.

I don't blame him for inviting me!

soul-o likes this.
  5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The only famous person that I have ever met is Santa Claus .

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  6. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've met a few famous people. Most famous? Probably Elvis Presley.

troy2003 likes this.
  7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Joan Jett when she played at my college - very stoned (her), but very sweet (her).
    Kenny G playing on some street in NYC at 2 am - very drunk (us), very nice and very patient (him). Afterwards, I wondered if I hallucinated him (what was he doing there?) but my friends swear they saw him too.
    John Platania before a show. (Played and recorded with Van Morrison, wrote the riff to Domino.) Very nice guy.
    John Hiatt at a CD signing - that guy has soul. Very brief but impactful.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jimmy the Greek
    John McEuen
    Steve Miller
    Art Linkletter
    Stan Musial
    Dave Grohl

All in my taxi back in the 90's

Just missed Tony Curtis during a Kentucky Derby weekend. He jumped in the taxi in front of mine.

william tele likes this.
  9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My Dad drove Johnny Cash in his taxi a couple of times back in the 70's. I think Mr. Cash requested my dad because he didn't act like a crazy fan or ask a lot of stupid questions...

Personally I had three encounters that come to mind:

#1 & 2

In 1987 I used to work at a theme park called "Old Tucson" (which was originally an old western movie set) just outside of (you guessed it) Tucson Arizona, and while I was there they were shooting scenes for the film "The Three Amigos", so I walked up to Chevy Chase and shook his hand. He seemed slightly irritated by this...

Then there was Rod Stewart, but he was there with his (then wife) Rachel Hunter who was doing a photo shoot. In fact people seemed more excited to see her than Rod... :p

I also "crossed paths" with Robert Plant once on the streets of Hollywood California in 1986.

I was strolling down a random sidewalk, just off Sunset Blvd, approaching the driveway of some sort of large apartment complex when a little red convertible pulled out with four blonde "Swedish Bikini Model" looking babes in it. I watched as they rounded the corner and darted down the street.

I was still walking (as I gawked at them) and as I got closer to the driveway there I see Robert Plant cruising up in a white convertible Corvette!

He stopped and looked at me for a moment. I of course recognized him instantly (I was only about four feet away) and, without saying a word, gave him a signal to "go ahead" and he took off down the street.

Once again I gawked as he drove down the street.

Then I heard something roaring up up the driveway - it was some sort of large equipment truck - and this hippy looking dude sticks his head out and yells "Yep! That was Him!".

True Story! :) Although I had a girl call me a liar to my face when I first told the tale... :(

`

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Wyzsard likes this.
  10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Famous.. hmmm, maybe not but a good story anyway -

New Years Eve (12/31/15) I was having dinner and drinks... lets say quite a few drinks and really needed to hit the little boys room badly (so this is a picture it in your mind kind of thing), standing doing my business and someone comes into this very small boys room and stands next to me. I look over and low and behold it's Bennie Sanders... and yes we had a brief but riveting conversion right there. Laughed the rest of the night about that one.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I spoke to the Jack-in-the-box clown for several hours one night in the early 70's. I don't think he's famous any more.

william tele, tery and P Thought like this.
  12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What, jealous?

13. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

Bo Diddley

Marty Stuart

Rodney Crowell

Joe Diffie

Billy Dean

Charlie Daniels

Vince Gill

Jimmy Olander

Tracy Byrd

I played in a house band for a large Northeast Ohio Dance Club in the mid-90's, met most of these there; awkwardly met Bo Diddley, however, in an Adult bookstore... unmistakably him-hat and all.

14. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I met Scott Weiland at a show at the Stone Pony a few years ago, about a week after my band played there! He was surprisingly down to earth and friendly. And short. RIP.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Pretty much the top of the famous scale!

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I've met a number of them and have represented some as well.

After thinking about it, I suppose the most "famous" person I ever met was Elvis in the 70's when I was a kid and an older relative of mine was working with him and introduced my family to him.

Then, of course, we've had a few family get-togethers, beach parties, and occasional vacation together since he said, "I've had enough" and faked his death in '77.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No. He caused the deaths of over 900 people in Jonestown. How can anyone be jealous of that?

I had assumed "famous" precluded infamous.

tery and mauer62 like this.
  18. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

I have met many famous people and musicians when I lived in LA but the only one I ever hung out with there was Steve Priest of The Sweet at The Whiskey back in 1990. I did get to go to a backstage party with Dio, Whitesnake and Black and Blue in Portland back in 1984 and had a beer with Vivian Campbell. The guys in Whitesnake were hoarding their coke and Ronnie James Dio was a strange cat that I just briefly said hi to and shook his hand as he signed my poster.

19. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Jay Leno

troy2003 likes this.
  20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What's a little koolaid amongst brethren?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.