1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Most Exotic Place You've Visited.....Photos Please!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jan 16, 2021.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hands up, who thinks going to the wet market and buy bats for dinner is a bad idea?

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

They've been eating the bats there for thousands of years. It's in the middle of the Pacific and I don't think there are any viruses of concern in their bats. But it's a good point. I certainly didn't partake.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'd file that under "too soon".

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think the monkeys ever go on flashing blue light sales.

5. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

On May 15th 2009 I embarked on a journey that had a profound impact on my life.

Two weeks after writing my final university exam and one week after turning twenty-two, I boarded a plane heading to Manila - the capital of the Philippines. I had the privilege of getting to travel for work and ended up staying in Manila for nearly five months. While in Asia, I was also lucky enough to find some time to explore Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Prior to this experience, I had only a passive interest in history and geography, I had never travelled outside of my own continent, and I was something of a picky eater. While away I became keenly interested in the cultures that surrounded me. In the Philippines, it was humbling to see that people were so willing to welcome me into their homes, introduce me to their families, and even share some home cooking. I got to explore Intramuros, Manila Bay, Pagsanjan Falls, Taal Volcano, and so much more. I learned about Dr. Jose Rizal, the People Power Revolution, and the unfortunate tyranny of some of their more recent Leaders. I also got to learn some fun Tagalog phrases and enjoy an (un)healthy amount of sisig and San Miguel Beer! And yes, I tried balut!

One guy from work, Ronald, was the nicest guy that you could ever hope to meet. And we’d play guitar a bit together on our lunch breaks. I eventually learned that, when he wanted to play guitar, he had to save for about three years in order to get his first guitar. During that time, he’d study tab books. Can you imagine that level of dedication – staring at tabs without a guitar in your hands? I felt so guilty…when I wanted that first Les Paul of mine, I simply went out and bought it. Anyways, I remember playing guitar with Ronald and he’d sometimes apologize for not playing something the ‘right way’. He was such a natural and I was so envious! Maybe the way he played a song didn’t mesh with the ‘official’ tablature, but he could figure stuff out by ear! Just a true natural talent and an absolutely kind person. While in Manila, I picked up a locally made acoustic guitar and I was thrilled that I could leave it with Ronald.

While abroad I decided to take advantage of my time away and see as much as I could. I used up all of my allotted vacation time and jammed every weekend full of adventure. I visited Thailand for a long weekend and took in beautiful Wats, a train ride over the bridge over the River Kwai, and ate the most delicious food you can imagine. I spent another long weekend in Vietnam. I loved Saigon, getting to see Pagodas, taking a boat trip on the Mekong Delta, and scraping my knees crawling through the Cu Chi Tunnels. I took a whole week off for Japan. I saw ancient temples in Kyoto, climbed Mt. Fuji, and stayed in a Ryokan. I even did some guitar shopping in Tokyo!

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks – on your body or on your heart — are beautiful." - Anthony Bourdain

Philippines - Manila - Intramuros

[​IMG]

Philippines - Manila American Cemetery

[​IMG]

Philippines - Manila Slums

[​IMG]

Philippines - Taal Volcano (a volcano, in a lake, in a larger volcano)

[​IMG]

Philippines - Pagsanjan Falls (where some of Apocalypse Now was filmed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filipino Guitar

[​IMG]

chris m. and Rocky058 like this.
  6. RYAN1987M

Thailand - Bangkok Wats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thailand - Ayutthaya Wats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thailand - Bridge over the River Kwai

[​IMG]

Thailand - Delicacies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RYAN1987M

Vietnam - Saigon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vietnam - Mekong Delta

[​IMG]

Vietnam - Delicacies

[​IMG]

Vietnam Dong

[​IMG]

Rocky058 likes this.
  8. RYAN1987M

Japan - Kyoto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japan - Mount Fuji

[​IMG]

Japan - Ryokan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japan - Tokyo Guitars

[​IMG]

chris m. likes this.
  9. RYAN1987M

Sorry to spam with so many pictures! These are not great examples of photography by any means (I've gotten a bit better over the years). And these are not the 'best' photographs from my time away...but some interesting examples of the 'exotic' (I hope). This was a fun task with my Sunday morning coffee - thanks for indulging me!

Harry Styron and Rocky058 like this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm.... I've traveled to lots of places and in some interesting circumstances, but for "exotic" below surface of ocean comes to mind. This is not the most spectacular but it answers the photo requirement.

[​IMG]

11. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thank you!

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.