Most comedians aren't funny.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don't know the OP so this isn't directed at them, but in my real life when someone tells me they aren't a fan of comedy the real issue usually starts with their own personality or level of wit.
Depends on who's doing the comedy. ANYTHING that Judy W ever told me that was supposed to be funny, I laughed at.

gerhard_k

TDPRI Member
I don't know the OP so this isn't directed at them, but in my real life when someone tells me they aren't a fan of comedy the real issue usually starts with their own personality or level of wit.
Everybody laughed when I told them I was going to be a comedian. Well, nobody's laughing now! - quoted from teletimetx, on tdpri

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Seriously, I like to laugh. But I've seen my fair share of stand-up comedians in person and on video, and the vast majority of them, even the ones who are highly regarded "legends", really aren't funny. . . .
Oh. You noticed.

There were some I liked when I was a kid. Groucho, of course.Bob Newhart, Dick Gregory, Jackie Vernon, Avery and Shriver, Bill Cosby, Nichols and May, Richard Pryor. Woody Allen, but his movies were better. Robin Williams and Whoopie later on.

Then no one until the Not Ready for Prime Time Players. And almost no one since, though Eddie Murphy is funny: "Kill my landlord! Kill my landlord!"

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Plenty of good comedians out there these days. Ryan Sickler, Sam Morril, Tom Segura, Burr, Chris Distefano, Josh Potter, the list goes on. So many different options and opinions these days, don't think you're looking hard enough if you can't find anyone you like.

The collective 'you', not anyone in particular.
Never heard of any of 'em, so I Googled some of 'em to see. They're clever, but they didn't make me laugh. I like comics who make me laugh.

Like, Belushi and Groucho made me laugh. Robin Williams: laugh. Gilda Radner: laugh. So I still agree with TheCheapGuitarist: Most comedians aren't funny.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
We all get to have opinions and mine are not in line with this. I agree Chris Rock is fantastic, Eddie Murphy was, but to my preferences Pryor and Carlin were the all time greatest, including, maybe especially, Carlin’s late stuff. I saw him a year or two before he died and he’d never been better. Sarah Silverman is still great but I saw her about 15-16 years ago and it took me days to recover from how funny she was. Before he showed everyone his ass Cosby could be really funny. Seinfeld is funny, but Larry David is the genius of that bunch…

Bottom line, because YOU don’t like someone doesn’t mean he or she isn’t funny - just not funny to you. I’m not gonna tell you that what you like isn’t funny, but I’m not listening to you when you try to tell me what’s not funny. Because, according to my opinion (ATMO), you’re wrong…

-Ray

I can not find a single flaw with this post.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I bet the hit rate of comedians is the same as ever, everybody has a small number they think are great, and the others are 'trash'. Stewart Lee is a downright comedy genius, one of the all time greats...but not a mass-market comedian, and he doesn't play the game of social media and countless guest appearances. And of course, very divisive.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of things I used to laugh at turned out not very funny when I got sober.

Exceptions, however, include This is Spinal Tap and The Muppet Show. Those are still comedy gold.