Most comedians aren't funny.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Funny for me is to watch german carnival on tv - someone standing in front of an audience, telling jokes and after every joke there is a fanfare played ( Tata , tata , tata .... ) that tells the audience it is time to laugh.... Maybe I don`t get it because in our region in the north we don`t celebrate that kind of carnival.So if there are any german carnival-fans around here , I don`t want to offend anyone !
And we seem to have more and more female comedians ... I think often also not funny at all , some of them have a rather shrill voice and charisma - but that is just my personal opinion, there are certainly people who like that kind of humor.

😅 Well, I wasn't referring specifically to the cheesy Karneval cabaret stuff. The Mainz and Köln Fasching shows are just boring to me.

Here's a bit from our neighbors in the Oberpfalz, giving us pretentious Franggn a good skewering. I think this is pretty high level, brutal satire, and hilarious as well 😅

I want to add: I'd be thrilled to find anyone who can emulate this level of satire in English today. I won't hold my breath 😂

Oti Schmelzer is another one, mind-boggling comedy, no way can anyone do this in English

Last edited:

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You can still like his comedy, if not his behavior.
Saw him live, twice, have his books and a couple LPs, he's a funny and insightful comic. He's also absolute human dreck which should be locked away to the end of his days, but funny is funny, there's no getting around that.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
There are a lot of comedians I like in movies & TV. Then you see their live act and it degrades into cheap, vulgar sex based humor. Low hanging fruit and not entertaining. Way too many of them like that. Repulsive.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
The two funniest stand ups I've ever seen were Billy Connolly and Dave Allen. Billy was high end jazz - mostly improvised, risky, and flowed - there was a patch in the middle where he let us breathe a little and 'slowed down'... Dave Allen was classical music - everything prepared, written, polished, and perfected. Equally as funny. Kitty Flanagan came close, actually. I loved stand up in the 80s - but by the 90s it had become derivative and 'edgy for edgy's sake'

A couple of years back, a local school had a 'stand up' evening to raise funds. I said on the way over, this might be dire - comedy is very subjective, and unless you can read the audience and adjust your material, you'll bomb.

There were four up and comers. the best of them told stories about his kid which were humorous. But his kid was at least ten years younger than the crowd's, so there was a 'been there, done that' attitude in the audience. One guy thought it would be funny to ... subvert the audiences expectations. Now when Lenny Bruce, or Norm McDonald, or Andy Kaufman did it, they didn't care. That was part of the act. This poor bloke wasn't prepared to fail... and he failed hard. The material was inappropriate, obscure and worst of all not funny.

I think Covid killed this type of night. A mercy killing in this case.

Rowdyman

Tele-Holic
Pandering, obfuscation, and other tribalistic safe-bet tactics, will continue to dumb down what was once a mercilessly sharp (and relatively indiscriminate,) art form that wielded considerable power, although it could be argued that even the vulgar masses of yesteryear were more refined and traditionally educated than the virtual-raised martini shakers of today.

Stand up’s current pantheon basks in the consensus echo chamber of cultural nuance, and perhaps unsurprisingly view themselves as merely helplessly detached observers of the tangled ravage of society’s devolution. Where the truth is held in contempt, the laughter is hollow on tragedy’s side of the coin.
Whew!

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”​

― Mel Brooks

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
There are a lot of comedians I like in movies & TV. Then you see their live act and it degrades into cheap, vulgar sex based humor. Low hanging fruit and not entertaining. Way too many of them like that. Repulsive.
Red Foxx comes to mind. And LaWanda Page, incidentally.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
One of the downsides of Diversity is, the life experience of the audience member these days can diverge wildly. And so what seems funny to some audience members, definitely doesn't work for others.

We Baby Boomers came up in a singular time, with so many communities just chocked full of individuals all of the same age and raised in pretty much the same manner and with the same "background" if you know what I mean. This made the comedian's job super easy. I like this new way we do things, where we all pay more attention to people from different origins. Even though it means I probably won't be going to any comedy clubs anytime soon.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I've enjoyed many stand up comedians. Richard Pryor was always a big favorite. Steven Wright too.

Another guy who really impressed early on was Jonathan Winters. He would talk the wildest stream of consciousness nonsense, often with a cornered, hunted look. Not sure why, but that always got me. The hunted look.

Many greats working now, but have to say the hardest I laughed was long ago, listening to Bob and Ray on WOR AM in NYC. Driving a yellow cab at the time. late '60s, early '70s. More than once I had to pull over and try to stop laughing. They were the masters of dry, ridiculous bits. Amazing timing. Slow. Strange and hilarious at the same time. Soupy Sales also had a show on AM radio, and when he was really on, he was a sick funny guy.

pixeljammer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I think comedians are like bands. Some people like these, some like those, some are good, some suck.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
Hmmmm..... I hope this guy is just an exception .... but maybe ...... I don`t know :)
I did it! I made germans laugh! Last night at band practice we took a break out in the back yard and it was getting kind of noisy in the bushes. I wanted to know what was going on, so I got my flashlight and lit up the small animals who were gathered under the bird feeder. My buddy asked what it was and I said “looks like the Igels are getting back together”.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Our favorite comedians to watch these days are John Mulaney and Bill Burr.

I showed my younger daughter George Carlin and it did not go as expected, for me or her. He just sounded bitter and condescending. Honestly, I've watched some of his older stuff from the '70s on "The Tonight Show" recently, and found it to be pretty lazy and unstructured. However, I still enjoy his riff on death and whip it out when appropriate.

I agree when George Carlin was younger he was funny. When he was older he just seemed bitter. I quit watching.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Bob Newhart’s gentle, nerdy humor with the odd, stammering cadence and silly scenarios that kept building and spinning out of control until he tied it into a neat bow always makes me laugh.

Plus, he rarely (if ever)went blue.

Here’s one of my favorite of his routines: