Most beautiful Jazz Ballad ever....

hepular

Tele-Afflicted
more of a jazz waltz, but still technically a ballad....

according to what criteria for ballad. lotsa stanzas telling a narrative about the misfortunes of some poor scots dude? or just a relatively (this is Pass where on about so that's a nice relaxing 150 or so bpm) slow tempo and, anyway, AM's in 4, or occasionally a hard 2 so it ain't a waltz . . .

Last edited:

Ian T

Tele-Afflicted
Many great tunes on this thread! Huge Shorter fan as well, Infant Eyes is wonderful and his compositions are just incredibly beautiful. Speak No Evil is great from start to finish, as is Night Dreamer. I remember a friend of mine said that he writes these beautiful, intricate changes, and then solos over them like the blues. Very true! What a unique player. You know it's Shorter from just a few notes.

Johnny Hartman and Coltrane's version of Lush Life is awesome too! The whole John Coltrane Ballads album deserves, mention. "Say it over and over again."

Here's one of my favorite jazz ballads by a player that is heavily influenced by Trane & Shorter:

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
While it's not advanced harmonically or as startling and original as Wayne Shorter, I think one of the greatest jazz guitar ballads I've ever heard is Wes's version of "While We're Young"