Most accurate Oxford 8-EV replacement

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EspyHop, Sep 28, 2020.

1. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I got a VC a few months ago and just had it serviced and had RCA and Sylvania NOS tubes installed. However, the tech said the speaker is blown.

I’d like to find something close to the old Oxford 8-EV. The only one that looks closest is the Jensen P8R.

I’ve searched the forum, but the topic becomes about which speakers players prefer. That’s not my question. I want to know which current production speaker sounds closest to the Oxford.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find an original one somewhere...?
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=184451582904

Weber makes a decent replacement so I hear, not had one.

Original:
    https://reverb.com/item/35994666-1977-8-fender-vibro-champ-speaker

Original style cone, have someone recone it:
    https://reverb.com/item/7010958-fen...real-original-cone-authentic-tonality-re-cone

Champ recone service:
    https://reverb.com/item/29193856-fender-champ-recone-service

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    theprofessor and EspyHop like this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have the original blown Oxford 8EV? If so, I'd get it re-coned by Weber Vintage Sound Technology. I really like those little Oxford 8EV's, and I don't think there's something out there that sounds like it. There are other great 8" speakers for a Vibro Champ, but that's not what you're asking. I recognize that re-coning the old speaker may not be the most cost-effective solution, but I think it's the way you're going to get a speaker that sounds the most like a vintage Oxford 8EV. I know that @alnicopu is a big fan of those Oxford 8EV's. Maybe he knows something new that will sound like them.

DrPepper, Wally and EspyHop like this.
  4. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. There’s a local speaker repair shop in town that will do that for $58 with a three day turnaround. More than a new ceramic, less than a new alnico. If it’s salvageable, I’ll probably do that.

DrPepper, theprofessor and tubegeek like this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That's by NO means a crazy price IMHO - and you'd be better off letting someone with practice do it than DIY.

muscmp likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I wouldn't go with a local speaker repair shop unless they have a verifiable record of success with old Oxfords. Don't let lowest cost and most convenience compromise what the real goal is. Have Weber do it if you want to get as close as possible to the original tone. That's the whole point of your wanting a recone, if I'm not mistaken.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I hear what you’re saying and I’ll definitely ask.

However, $58 in three days compared to $65 + shipping (probably another $20) in 4-5 weeks, not including shipping time, which could add another week or two, is significant. I mean, $27 less and I wouldn’t have to wait a month and a half.

8. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I ended up just replacing it with a Weber Signature 8 alnico. It was less than $70 shipped. The original was pretty rusted and probably not worth repairing.

Anyway, it just arrived today and I’m very happy with it so far. It’s pretty much the sound I was going for.

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.