1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mosrite baritone build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Jun 12, 2016.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

So in my previous band, the guitar player didn't have a baritone and borrowed my cheapo Danelectro reissue all the time. He's really into Mosrites - so I'm going to try and make a Mosrite-inspired bari... with the catch that the total budget has to stay under $400CAN. << This will be a trick!

Progress so far - printed out the plans:
    [​IMG]

And got some poplar to glue up for the body:
    [​IMG]

For the neck I have some flatsawn maple (I'll probably laminate the neck for this, since it's a bari), and a nice piece of Jatoba for a fingerboard (it's cheap! it sort of looks like rosewood! takes frets well too, in my experience...)

Don't know what I'm going to do for pickups -- if it were for me, I'd put p90s as a Mosrite ought to have... but the guy who'll get it wants humbuckers...

And he wants a trem... A proper Moseley trem will blow the budget though, so not sure what's going to happen there.

Wish me luck!

matmosphere and Captain Nutslot like this.
  2. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Nice concept, going to have to subscribe to this.

Gfs has a Bigsby style Tremolo you could consider, I've also seen some affordable jazzmaster style ones floating around fleebay.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a Moserite Style Trem on Reverb.com for $80, if the budget will stretch that far. Also some knockoff Bigsbys really cheap, not sure about the quality, but at around $30 no more than a good tailpiece.

Sounds like an interesting project. Ever had an interesting in winding pickups? This would be a good candidate.

4. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

I've bought two of those Mosrite style tremolos from Performance Music on eBay, one Celebrity style and one Ventures style. I haven't used either one yet, but thought I'd offer an observation or two on them.

The casting on the Celebrity style is much nicer than the Ventures style. The arm on the Celebrity unit (bought several years ago) is nicely sculpted and has smooth, rounded edges all the way around. The Ventures type (bought last year) has rough edges on the bottom of the arm, and the underside shows the texture from the sand casting molding, not nearly as well done. Maybe it's a different manufacturer?

If you go with one of them, you'll definitely want to double check your planned bridge height and string spacing against the actual trem and the bridge it ships with before making the neck or routing the neck pocket, though. The bridge is tall, and seems to have a pretty loose fit on the posts. String spacing on the bridges and trems is consistent, but narrower than say a Fender or Gibson. I'm not at home or I'd get some measurements and pics.

5. crisscrosscrash

Thanks for this info!

I was also thinking of using one of those Korean-made Teisco style trems that bezdez (and a few others) sell on ebay for around $CAN30. I used one recently on a tenor guitar build and I really like it - smooth motion, stays in tune pretty impressively. The only think I don't love about it is the arm sits/spins on a vinyl disc that separates it from the bridge ground, but not 100% of the time (when you depress it, or at some points on its axis, it must brush against the casing and makes the connection to ground, so you get some intermittent hum dampening - ground or no ground is fine, but the intermittency is kind of irritating) -- maybe Bigsbys are like this too (?) I haven't played enough guitars with one to recall...

Anyhow - the Tesico style one doesn't look like a Mosrite trem, but it would look not out of place on a Ventures style body either, imo, so it might be where I'm headed...

Any $$ saved on the bridge can be spent on pickups (and vice versa) - so I'll have to decide where it's more important to stay traditional. I would like to try and wind my own - but probably not for this project (I have an end of July deadline, and I figure there'll be some trial and error phases to get through with winding...)

xardoz likes this.
  6. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

The Teisco style one seems to be functionally similar in concept to the Mosrite (strings pass through a pivoting rectangular bar, vs wrapping around a cylinder like the Bigsby), but using pressed sheet metal vs castings.

Another option could be the GFS XTrem, which seems to be (functionally) a cross between the Mosrite and a Bigsby. At about $50 US plus shipping, it seems to fit right between the Teisco and the Mosrite, too.

7. crisscrosscrash

Cut out the body and started the carve today.

Body, rough cut:
    [​IMG]

I'm improvising the carve based on pictures - started with a 1/2" cove bit, and then started flattening with an orbital sander and a spokeshave... Right now it's lumpy -- I'll have to wet it to find all the imperfections.

[​IMG]

Next up, I'm going to start working on the neck.

xardoz likes this.
  8. crisscrosscrash

Haven't been updating as I go, so here are a few pics from the past couple of weeks... This build has been interesting, given I'm mostly improvising and just working from pictures rather than plans...

The neck is a goncalo alves - walnut sandwich with a home-roasted birsdeye maple fretboard. This was my first attempt at a bound fingerboard as well -- the binding was easy, I still haven't put in the frets though, which hopefully won't be as difficult as I am fearing it will be!

Starting the carve:
    [​IMG]

Shot of the headstock from the rear:
    [​IMG]

Fretboard with some tung oil on it - looks nice roasted!
    [​IMG]

Neck in pocket:
    [​IMG]

A quick mockup, testing out pick guard designs:
    [​IMG]

9. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Very nice!! Going to have to watch this one come together.

10. crisscrosscrash

Here are some pics of the body with the finish starting to take shape. The body is poplar, and not particularly pretty grain-wise, so I'm going for a burst. Started by dying the body and giving it a couple coats of shellac sealcoat.

[​IMG]

And then did the edge burst with Design Master black and some Mohawk shadow toner:
    [​IMG]

I have some Behlen's starcast amber left over from a previous project, so I blended the edge a little with that, and I think it's basically looking OK - I'll tweak it when I get another good sunny day and then start spraying clearcoats...
    [​IMG]

11. C. Card

C. Card TDPRI Member

That looks perfect to my eyes.

12. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Looks cool!

-Austin

13. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

sa-WEEEET!

14. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Stunning!

15. crisscrosscrash

Mockup - after scraping the lacquer from the binding. Still working out the final pick guard shape...

[​IMG]

16. crisscrosscrash

Back from vacation, had some more time to work on this build...

Got the frets in

[​IMG]

And after filing, levelling, and cleaning them up, I installed the neck and temporarily threw in the bridge pickup just to test her out. (Buzzy at the moment -- no grounding or shielding yet, obviously.) Plays pretty nice though! Lo-fi video below...

Now it comes back apart for finishing properly. I'll post a proper video when it's all done for real.

17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Wow [​IMG]
    The guitar and the playing

18. crisscrosscrash

Polished this guy today. Tomorrow I'll wire it up!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks.

HairyChapter and SecretSquirrel like this.
  19. sosay

sosay Tele-Afflicted

20. sosay

sosay Tele-Afflicted

I got this far so far which is not that far, yeh i can't even speak, one glimps at this pic,ehh well where do i start,the curve on the back first of all,love it,reminds me of a guitar i saw in one of my first theory books, will never forget the name, Hummingbird, i have always fell for guitars like this,like a jazz bass per say,but the horns on this hummingbird ,i don't no how to say without giving of the wrong tone,quirky? wild? i don't know was only 15 ,but this one? the horns are totally up my ally, name your price,hehe

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.