Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 11, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Brush your teeth and take a shower before going out into known mosquito-heavy situations. They definitely like certain blood types, but you can't change that. Things you can change - your bad breath and body odor. Both of those things can attract more mosquitoes. Mosquitoes like carbon dioxide. You can't stop breathing, but what you exhale can be tidied up by brushing your teeth. Swish some Listerine. At the very least it's good dental hygiene. It might seem counterproductive to take a shower before you mow the grass, but it does help keep mosquitoes away if you don't reek like ass while you sweat. Sweat on a clean body is less "aromatic" to mosquitoes than sweat on a dirty body.

I've grown up in the deep south and frequently fish in mosquito infested swampy marshlands. These tips work.

Chunkocaster and Teleterr like this.
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I ve also found Vodka on the skin works too. If I m in the woods during the season , I carry a little spritzer bottle filled w it so I can reapply when necessary.And if you spray them in flight, they fall out of the air, dead I would think, since alcohol immediately kills ticks.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I miss the good old days when the trucks would come around spraying DDT. We showed those bastards who's boss.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

two words ........Deet

( never apply to skin directly) take a kleenex apply the deep woods Off to it then rub into the brim of your hat, around your wrists, and the back of your neck dabing it. Even the smell of it keeps them away take the kleenex and place it in a small baggie and keep it in your back pocket, to refuel when needed. if you ever get it on your hands dont put them in your mouth for gawd sakes

Teleterr likes this.
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The town of Chincoteague agrees w you. I was there one year for the Pony Penning and Roast and some idiot figuired that would be a good time to send the spray trucks out, since the thousands of tourist might enjoy breathing poisonous gases.

6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Blood Sucking Females!!

GuitarKid, Big_Bend and Teleterr like this.
  7. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

My small town still has a fogger truck/trailer, but I'm not sure what it is they are spraying. Always makes you wonder when you're outside grilling and it comes by.

It's been cool here but we still have a lot of standing water. Will have a bumper crop when it warms up.

Teleterr likes this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

We get a product that is 100% DEET; and I do same as you, put a little on my hat to keep them away from my face. As I said before, I don't like to breathe mosquitoes.

Learned a long time ago to never get it on your hands. If you do, you can't avoid getting it on your flies and you'll never catch another fish with anything contaminated.

Teleterr and 24 track like this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fly damage - new info to me (I don't fish - sorry)
    The hazard I was aware of was DEET vs Guitar Finish.
    Maybe there is a place for my dipped-in-plastic-Epi after all!
    :rolleyes:

Peace - Deeve

Teleterr and 24 track like this.
  10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve read that too. In that case, I need a complete transfusion.

Apparently, they are attracted to certain colored clothing as well.

Teleterr likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Shannnne, come back Shane, we love you Shane!

[​IMG]

Teleterr likes this.
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Our summer was so dry there were hardly any mossies compared to other summers... or frogs, or cane toads, or bugs in general..weird really...o_O

I usually put a mossie net over my bed at night through summer, but this year I never bothered putting it up...

even going outside for a pee at night there wasn't any mossies buzzing around.... I can't remember such a bugless summer...

what are the birds eating?.... a lean year for them, I guess...:(

Teleterr likes this.
  13. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

You guys in the northern hemisphere don't know **** about mosquitos.

Teleterr likes this.
  14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yeah I remember seeing that, not sure what they were spraying but I doubt it would be safe by today’s standard, but then we were not allergic to peanuts

Teleterr likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It all comes down to CO2...that is what attracts them. Breath heavily and you are the buffett. As a letter carrier, I spend all day crossing lawns and when they are active it can be brutal. There is just no hiding from the bastards, I have even been bitten aboard ship more than 2 miles from land!! A strong DEET formula or real Mexican vanilla are the only things that seem to work.

Teleterr likes this.
  16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I did not know that there was actual documentation of the Bahamanian Air Force:eek:

Teleterr and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.