Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Got reverb? Sadly not familiar with the BM. Bet it will sound great! (need reverb with my PJ)

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Well, this stinks, literally, aka the smell of burning electrical components. I had a power surge or something that seems to have burned out this pedal and one other on the same daisy chain. Was it the fault of this pedal? Who knows??

So, my $22 loss is your gain. I cracked mine open to get some gut shots for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now, the bypass works and when the footswitch is click, the LED comes on but there's no sound. Any ideas?

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It looks like the charge pump chip (the one on the far left in the pic above the power input) is blown, 'cause it has a big bubble in the top. But, it'll be really hard to replace, 'cause surface mount stuff is so small that it's pretty hard to solder by hand. It might be better just to risk buying another one, or buy a different Klone instead. If you get sound with the circuit off, that means it's true bypass, not buffered, 'cause a true Klon circuit is buffered. But most Klones, except for more expensive ones, aren't buffered. The Soul Food and Sugar can be switched between the two and the Crème Brulee is buffered, but all of the other Klones I've had are true bypass. Were you running a delay pedal on the same daisy chain? Some delays, like the Strymon ones, don't like the charge pump in Klon types. If you do buy another one, maybe run it off it's own One-Spot, so hopefully that way if it blows, it won't take out another pedal. It's unlikely the fault of the pedal. More likely the power supply or power strip that you're using. It's nice to see that the two op-amps are real TI TL072s.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    willhowl and bgmacaw like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

crap, that doesn't bide well

zeoy likes this.
  5. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

I just got mine today, and A-B'ed it against the ARC Klone I've been using for a long time now. Very very similar sound. Pretty surprising.

Lostinsound and vjhn like this.
  6. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Non Reverb Bandmaster.
    It does indeed sound great !

Sorry to hear about the dead horse above.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was swapping around several pedals at the time. I think I probably caused it when one of the power connections touched the input jack on the Horse. I thought it had also blown out my G-Fuzz but it seems OK now.

I usually run modulation pedals and boost/overdrive pedals on separate power chains. In my haste I may have messed this arrangement up. I'll have to remember to be more careful going forward.

I'll probably order another one since I liked how it sounded in the short time I had with it. Maybe I can use the enclosure for some small and simple kit build.

willhowl likes this.
  8. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Other than the obvious op-amp chips, I don't know what I'm looking at when I see the guts of a pedal like this, but I am struck with the high number of components that go into it. In comparing to the internal pics of the Caline Pegasus, it looks like both have similar numbers of parts, but they are spread out in larger footprint the Caline, and it has a more complicated double gang pot. Otherwise, I'd conclude they are probably similar designs, but some of you who understand the electronics and components could say otherwise.

Looking at the customs label on my package from China, the value of the Mosky is stated to be $12, or about half the retail price I paid. If that figure is roughly the cost of manufacture, it seems like an absolute bargain to get a complex pedal like this for only $24 including postage to the US.

Sorry to hear about the failure of yours, BGMACAW. But thanks for the good info re using separate power supplies for different classes of pedals. Will heed that on my own board.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

At the price I would say yea. Sorry to hear your GH got cooked.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

You can't really see it in the pictures but one of the pots on the Horse is bigger than the other two. I don't know if it's double ganged or not.

11. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    The upper right one is double ganged. Extra set of terminals. "That's three more than a single pot, isn't it" - Nigel Tufnel :rolleyes:

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You can clearly see that the gain pot (the one in the top of the photo) is a dual pot. That's why the legs are longer than on the other two pots, so there's room for the other three legs, which you can see underneath the three long ones.

vjhn likes this.
  13. Michael A.

Thanks for the education about that. I see what you mean now. I guess this means that Mosky has put the same components in the GH for half the price of the Caline Pegasus.

vjhn likes this.
  14. Michael A.

vjhn likes this.
  15. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

16. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I just added the Tone City Bad Horse to my mini board. I have an Archer Ikon, EHX Soul Food and Keeley Oxblood, can’t say the Bad Horse is “better” than any of these, but for $49 it fits the bill for this board. I am using it after dirt pedals with gain on 0 as a sweetener and it works. I’d prefer a Tumnus as I’ve spent some time with that pedal, feel it’s definitely superior, but for roughly $100 less the Bad Horse is worth a try IMO. It’s replacing a Moorer Pure Boost that was in the same board position for the same “always on” purpose, already feel the Bad Horse is a bit more what I was looking for. The Mosky looks great too, love the look and knobs! IMG_5828.JPG

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

So, my GH arrived today (USPS now delivers packages on Sunday), and my first impression is that it's very bright and clear, but other than that I find it kind of bland and generic sounding. It's not especially dynamic and touch responsive, and seems to be a bit two dimensional sounding, in that it seems to be lacking the harmonic richness and magic that my favorite Klones have. Maybe some more tweaking will bring out it's better qualities, but so far it seems to echo my impressions of the Mosky BB and Timmy clones, in that they all do a good job of copying the basic tonality of the originals, but other than that, they just sound like a cheap generic copy of the original with none of the harmonic goodness.
    So far, I like the Clone Central, Crème Brulee, Pegasus, and Bad Horse more. I hope it grows on me after further experimentation.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

What guitars and amps did you try it with?

I still haven't decided to order a replacement for the one that got damaged. It seemed pretty good to me but it's the only Klone I've used more than just brief in-store demos.

19. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Someone was selling a Bad Horse for ludicrously cheap recently so I bit, and it's incredible.

Feels to me like its overall sound stays more "open" as the gain is increased than the GH's, and and it's got some more available volume.

DougM likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I used it with my Am Pro Strat and Boss Katana 50 on the crunch setting with the gain on the amp low, which sounds great with the Clone Central, Crème Brulee, Pegasus, and Bad Horse, but not so much with the Soul Food, which I still like better than the Mosky. I haven't yet tried it with any other guitars. If I were you, I would buy a Clone Central if you like more mid bump, or a Pegasus if you like a brighter more open tone like the Mosky but with more dynamics, or a Bad Horse for a sound somewhere between the two.

dswo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.