1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Could they choose a worst amp and guitar to do the demo? Probably not...

2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Interesting...

Notice your board has the holes to mount a normal size charge pump chip.

I bet you could de-solder/remove the surface mount one and install a 8dip chip there.
    Be careful to get pin 1 orientation correct!

:)

3. MusicGroup

MusicGroup TDPRI Member

silver horse inside on pics, leds for clipping are not very usable, different pump chip. No problems in one month.
    IMG_0260 - Copy.JPG IMG_0261 - Copy.JPG IMG_0262 - Copy.JPG

kevsonic and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

This is a great video showing what Klon does (and doesn't) and compares several devises side by side. One of those is the Mosky GH and another is the Tumnus (not the mini).
    I only buy mini pedals (gotta draw a line somewhere) and have had my eye on the Tumnus mini, but with no Klone experience I wanted to experience one without spending a hundred or more.

At $18 shipped from tomtop the Mosky sounds like a good way to experience the flavor.

Alamo and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting this. I've had my eye on an Arc Effects Klone for awhile. Just don't have money for one right now. The Mosky mostly does the job in the meantime.

6. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had the pony until I killed it by plugging in a live power cord
    I have tried the Tumnis is and Tumnis is mini
    I liked the piney better than both

7. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Yeah there are two aspects to the equation: which one is most like "the" original Klon. And then there is the fact that some may not think the Klon is their favorite. Options are good.

8. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

I'm still using mine (I think my previous post about the GH cutting out fault was actually just a bad cable) and finding that it's a great stacker. This seems to be where it really shines. I can combo it with my Bluesbreaker, TS or Crunch Box on my board and it works with all of them.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still using mine too. No issues at all. I just started stacking it after a newly acquired JHS Prestige and I like the combo. Lot of usable tones from a couple simple pedals. My Spark Booster is in the For Sale pile currently...

10. mrrstrat

mrrstrat TDPRI Member

Waiting for my Moskey Golden Horse. Anyone using one professionally? By that I mean on a pedalboard seeing live action in a working band?

Also: At some point an 'original' circuit becomes an institution the same way the Fender and Marshall circuits become the foundations for much of what we use. Such is the case with the Distortion plus, DOD25, Fuzz pedals, Wahs, TS-808/9 and the Klon is no different.

There is a point where the progeny outshines the parent. Maybe the Klon is getting a redefinition of what it can be over what it was? Who knows but at $20.00 a pop you can't go wrong if it works and does not cheese out on you when you are using it.

kevsonic likes this.
  11. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Mine as been on the board for a few months now and I've been using it with both my bands.
    I'm no professional but I use it almost everyday at home and a few times a month live.

12. mrrstrat

mrrstrat TDPRI Member

So I got it today and tried it out (Les Paul Standard, Marshall DSL 100 with a DOD250). It sounds nothing short of fantastic. I am using this pedal to replace a TS-9/808 conversion pedal and it looks like it will just fine. Nice clean boost on the DSL green channel and combined with a mildly driven disruption pedal gives clarity, overdrive with control.
    I highly recommend this pedal - best $20 spent ever. I have over 35 years playing and used a variety of gear over the years. The recent trend from the far east with gear has been a game changer in both guitars (including great fakes) and electronics. Its changed my whole pedalboard and is more transparent than my TS-9 AND more versatile as the clean boost give me a nice chimey Tom Petty thing.

........Now I want the silver too (damn you all).

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. mrrstrat

mrrstrat TDPRI Member

I used the LP for my test: If it sounds good on it and the Marshall then the Tele and my Twin will love it. I always found that to be true.

14. mrrstrat

mrrstrat TDPRI Member

As of May 2019 the Golden Horse has a full-sized charge pump, real TL072s, and nice diodes.

So is there some truth in that the Moskey GH is a blatant copy of the Wampler Tunmus mini? Someone post a gunshot if you can.

Today is the Tele test with my 65 RI Twin.

** UPDATE: Works great with a stock Baja Tele and a 64RI. The pedal has a bright enough boost to add sparkle to the spank tone. Overdrives outstandingly with pedals, the tele, and the 65RI. Unlike a TS-9 this pedal does not dull the tone of the tele while boosting it. I basically set it like a fixed preamp for the guitar and the entire board played nice with the pedal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    the embezzler and kevsonic like this.
  15. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

My PCB looks the same as yours.
    Interesting about the Tumnus thing but I have never tried a Tumnus (except very briefly) and I can't compare them side by side.
    I have noticed that the GH is a fuss free stacker and seems to not mind where it's placed in the chain which is handy.

16. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Just upped on YT -

17. violentlydave

violentlydave TDPRI Member

Hi all -- first thanks for the discussion. I've had a Golden Horsey for .. year or so? Lovely wife got me a Tumnus for anniversary.. so I have both.

I can show the other side, but this is really the main circuit for both, though the Tumnus (left) is showing the top of the board (facing upwards towards to of pedal), and the Golden Horsey is the bottom of the board (towards base of pedal).

Before anyone notices -- yep swapped the diodes on the Golden Horsey w/ some germanium (if I trust ebay) d9e's I've had around -- a little lower than the original diodes (don't recall) at .290 forward voltage. (Yep, I sorted them all via FV and saved 'em.) . I also swapped the 104J100 with an EPCOS/TDK .1uf 100volt 5% cap (the original yellow one is still in this pic), and that helped IMMENSELY w/ the noise/hum.

I've been a/b'ing it to the Tumnus.. and they've very close like this. Barely noticeable difference in noise (to the point it could be in my head, the modded horsey = couple percent noisier?), the Tumnus still has a bit of bass/low-mid boost.. and feels like there's still more headroom, the horsey gets a bit OD/muddy quicker.

I hate to admit it, but if you'd put this version of the Golden Horsey and the Tumnus in front of me before I had either, and said one was $25 (~20 usd + maybe 3 or 4 bucks in parts) and one was 125?.. I'd take the Golden Horsey (and blow my extra $100 on other pedals, probably).

upload_2019-7-27_13-55-59.png

18. violentlydave

violentlydave TDPRI Member

Should have mentioned, cleaned up the grounding on the Mosky due to them just seeming to rely on jack grounding.. First off, cleaned the actual case a bunch to make a cleaner connection between the parts, took off paint around the jack/pot holes, and added a ground to the output jack as well.

--- edit - the red cable is my addition on the output jack ground

This helped the noise, but the cap was the big one.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Here we go. An exhaustive comparison of most of the Klones on the market right now.

For all who are wondering about the silver horse it would seem that it might be the same PCB as the golden horse but with a clipping switch that merely gives a huge volume boost and changes the EQ slightly. The mosky also has the least amount of headroom of any of the pedals.

bgmacaw likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hm. Only browsed through page 5, but I didn't see anyone compare it to a Klon. Does it happen anywhere from pages 6 to 15?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.