1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. vjhn

vjhn TDPRI Member

How far away are your two Mosky's now? :) Can't wait to hear your take on them.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Just got my golden horse clone today...plugged it in, sounded great...my new favorite overdrive(cuz it’s very mellow)...tried switching it to a different position on my board and boom, it stopped working...it passes the dry signal just fine but hit the switch and all I get is a blue light but no sound...this seems like a problem I read here from another user...I have emailed the Chinese seller but have not heard anything yet...too bad as I really liked the sound I got thru this thing...guess you get what you pay for...not sure I even got my $20 in the two minutes I used it...

vjhn likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had mine about a month now, and still haven't plugged it in

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. Mine is still working.…

5. John How

John How Tele-Meister

just got an email from the seller, she wants me to send her a video of the pedal malfunctioning...Guess Ill do that...

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I took my new golden horse to a gig for its first outing with my sub $50 per pedal board. It was ok but after a few tunes I went back to my other golden pedal....mxr badass modified od. Will try again to dial in but it’s only 3 knobs, so if it don’t blow wind up my bell bottoms easy, it will be retired early.

vjhn likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

That was me and that's what happened to mine. I was moving it around and "zap!", probably from a live One-Spot style power connector touching the metal housing on cable. It tripped the breaker on the power bar when it happened. This blew out the charge pump in the pedal. I ordered a replacement that I got earlier this week. I've read that Klones of various types tend to have this kind of sensitivity so I've started making sure I kill all power before moving things around and I use plastic, not metal, headed connector cables with it.

vjhn and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I was just looking at my pedal and thinking the same thing...all my other micro pedals have a plastic sleeve around the power plug. This one just has a hole in the aluminum so your poking the outer sleeve that is +9volts thru there with a good chance of it touching the housing...I do remember sparking as I plugged it in after moving it...very bad engineering in my opinion...I did like the sound I got and would like to try again...I have not heard back from the seller yet since doing what she asked me to do...hopefully soon...what is a charge pump and where is it located? Also where did you find that part?
    Thanks a bunch

vjhn likes this.
  9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Has anyone got the Silver Horse yet?

vjhn, Leandro Diana and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. Leandro Diana

Leandro Diana TDPRI Member

I have the same curiosity, but didn't want to wait, and pulled the trigger on the Golden Horse.
    I'm still curious, though...

L.

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I got my silver one a couple of days ago. Compared to the gold one with the same settings, it's darker sounding, and more open, less compressed, and more dynamic. The gold sounds brighter, but more strident, less dynamic, and more compressed, but also with a bit grittier distortion. That's with the switch on the silver in the up positions, which seems to be the normal setting, since it approximates the gold more than the other setting. With the switch in the down position, which seems to be the soft clipping setting, it's much lower distortion, but much louder, and warmer sounding, as well as being less compressed. This setting would be good as a clean boost in front of a tube amp. So, I like the silver more, and think it's worth the extra cash, although I actually paid more for the gold than the silver.
    I hope this has helped everyone, but keep in mind that my experience from other OD pedals is that different results can occur with different amps. So, that may be the case with these pedals, as well.

vjhn, kevsonic, bgmacaw and 1 other person like this.
  12. Leandro Diana

Leandro Diana TDPRI Member

DougM, thanks for the review. Very interesting... I put into account that I could buy the Silver too, after I get the Golden...
    More so if one of the two makes for a good transparent clean boost that I can put in the fx loop of the amps.

L.

13. bgmacaw

I posted some gut shot pictures of mine earlier in this thread.

The charge pump could be replaced, maybe, but it would be tricky and tedious. It would probably be be easier just to buy another pedal.

vjhn likes this.
  14. bgmacaw

I examined my growing collection of cheap Chinese micro pedals last night and Mosky and Kokko pedals don't have the plastic sleeve around the power. The other brands I have (Ammoon, Rowin, Tomsline/Aroma) do. That will be something to consider for future purchases.

15. luckett

luckett Banned

I love this thread! The corksniffing of different colored $20 klones is sublime irony.

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Well, even a $20 cork has it's own aroma.
    the missing plastic sleeve around the power plug is valuable information. thumbs up for that alone.

richey88 likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

luckett likes this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

[​IMG]

19. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

None of my Lovepedals nor Mojo Hand pedals have the plastic sleeve. The one Alexander pedal I have doesn't either. Or, more exact they have sleeves that look to be within the enclosure, so externally most of what you see is just a hole.

Neither performance nor safety seem to be effected in the least. It's really not such a big deal.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

But do they also have a love ...er, charge pump?

kevsonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.