1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moses graphite neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dogmeat, Nov 30, 2020.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

...so, a friend gave me this T type Moses graphite neck. it's got some damage to one of the screw holes but I can fix that no problem. my question is... what do you fine people know about them? I searched the net and got not very much other than they are out of business. thanks all

2. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

I have a baritone Moses neck on a HH import generic body. Not sure how much this helps you, but I can give you my experience with the neck. It's got a unique sound, even accounting for it being a baritone there are certain frequencies damped--in some respects, it has kind of a "scooped" tone--the mids are a little soft, sounds kind of like rosewood on mahogany but with more attack and slightly less sustain. When I get around to rebuilding something with it, I'm probably going to use a very distinct pickup voice--subtle nuances get lost acoustically, at least to my ears, but the sound is good, just a little shifted in frequency. Will probably experiment with an active pickup where I can wring a little more out of the signal.

dogmeat likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

hmmmmmm doesn't sound like "me". thanks a ton. keep it coming people

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They came out in the 80s when 'alternative' materials like aluminum necks, brass nuts, headless stuff, etc., were all the rage. A bunch of pro players used them--mostly bassists. The guitars and basses I handled that had 'em seemed quite heavy.

dogmeat likes this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yep... kinda heavy.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

.... so is this thing worth dinkin' with or should I off it to a stranger?

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Don't take our word for it...do you like it?

If it fits your hand and plays great, our opinions are just background chatter. You can fis the boogered-up neck screw hole with black epoxy and some Fiberglas mat clippings.

Graphite and aluminum necks never really caught on with the playing public; while they are an ideal neck material from an engineering POV...very stiff and stable, unlike wood they have a cold, artificial feel to them. I have a Kramer 450G from the early 70s with the aluminum neck. It is a tone machine, but it's a boat anchor and the neck does make the hand cold. It's like sitting on a brass toilet seat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.