Mortality is closing in. Running out of time.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Jan 18, 2016.

1. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention Lemmy, who was a year and a couple of weeks older than Bowie and also died a few days after his birthday.

IMO, "it started with the death of Lemmy."

2. fescue

fescue TDPRI Member

The minute you start worrying about your expiration date, yer a dead man. Stop fretting and go live it.

3. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Very much the same advice as I gave in my post.

4. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I recall even when I was a young kid that my dad was always worried he was about to die.
    He lived to be 86.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Fescue reminded me of a quote that I think is from my old buddy Kierkegaard. Now I am paraphrasing here: Thinking about death is like staring into the sun. It's not good to do either one for very long.

And this one which is verbatim from Kierkegaard: "The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed."

I am happier now than I ever was in my 60 years (with the possible exception of that bicycle I got on my 12th birthday).:)
    I'm not sure why. Maybe I have found that inner peace. The great gal I married has something to do with it too.

Old guitar players don't really die, they just fade out, right?:D

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I am a huge Bowie fan. Not so much of a Glenn Frey fan, but I do appreciate the Eagles and what they accomplished. The same goes for Lemmy and Motorhead.

I'm not worried though, and I'll tell you why. The fact that this feeling of impending mortality in the new year began with Bowie's death (for me) gives me a kind of peace, because he went out doing what he loved. I've been listening to "Blackstar" a lot this past week or two, and if you haven't, you should. It's the sound of somebody who is a true artist making a final artistic statement for the people he loved: his fans.

Bowie went out on top, with style and class. And his new record just knocked Adele off the #1 spot at the top of the charts.

Me, I'm not in that age group. I was just a kid when I started listening to Bowie. But I know that life is precious, and none of us knows when our time will come.

I'm at peace with God and my family. And I'm thankful to God for every day I have in this life, and that makes me not want to waste time on stuff that isn't important.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Like I said before, Bowie and Frey didn't die at 69 and 67.

They lived a couple lifetimes each - at least.

8. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Glenn Frey's death really shocked the crap out of me. I didn't even realize he was ill. :(

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

You're right. I'm going to live life to the fullest. I'm going to........... change my avatar. Wooo hoooo !

:lol: death. Bet ya can't catch me. Whoops ! :eek:

10. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I hear you. I happened to be having dinner with my parents when news of Glenn Frey's death came across. My Mom said, "but...he looked so healthy!"

It sounds funny to say it, but it's kind of sobering. I didn't know he was ill, either.

Nobody knew Bowie was ill because he was intensely private and kept it a well-guarded secret. I'm not sure I would want to do that, but I understand why he did. I'm guessing he didn't want people to feel sorry for him, and he wanted his fans to remember him for his music and art.

I'm gonna miss you, David Bowie. :(

11. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

That's a good way to justify instant gratification. I did it for many years. But now that I'm retired I sometimes wish I still had some of that money in the bank. ;)

12. pinktele

pinktele TDPRI Member

Yup, this is me as well. Lately I've been doing meditation and following my wife to Yoga to help with this.

13. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It s a crap shoot I guess. My dad is 86 and pretty healthy, he’s very active. My Mom is in an Alzheimer’s unit on her way out. I have to factor in about 20 years of abusing my body and another medical issue not of my own making. I probably should have retired 10 years ago…

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Look at it this way. Knowing Kelnet's penchant for purchasing guitars on the cheap, it's a pretty safe bet he'll come out OK if he doesn't like the White Falcon.:lol:

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If that's the criteria, then I should already be gone, Mike.:lol:

As it is, I should've died 3 times already. So I don't go out and spend my disposable income on trips and cars (guitars are another story).
    Now though, I think its time to put a blitz on paying off the mortgage because I think I can retire soon after I get rid of that payment (versus putting money in an erratic and as usual, unpredictable stock market).
    Moderation though- I just picked up some tickets to see Brad Paisley on Saturday- gotta live a little too.

16. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

17. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Lots of great insight here. This subject hits home with me, as my dermatologist discovered a melanoma on my back last October. The good news is that it was superficial and caught quite early, with its removal I'm virtually assured of no further issues. But the event surely put life into perspective and I'm still working through those perspectives. With two kids in their teens I can't quite afford to quit my job at 59, much as I'd like to. But my patience for stress, worthless pursuit and (especially) toxic people has dropped to zero. As it should be.

Live it up peeps. Play it loud. Do that thing you were going to do. And if you have fair skin and got sun burned as a kid, for crying out loud go get a skin check.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Is Schrödinger’s cat dead or alive? The ordinary result is Erwin died, too. 1961.

It hasn’t been an entirely conscious process, but it was my own father’s death that sort of shook me out of my own doldrums and the deep, deep rut of my daily grind. He passed away in 2001, just a month before 9/11. During the process of making arrangements, his memorial service and family dynamics, I came face-to-face with what a deep rut I had dug for myself. Bitter marriage; grinding job, the struggle to keep my two teenagers out of harm’s way. Somehow, I just stopped caring about making things work that didn’t seem to appreciate the effort I was making. Thank goodness, my kids turned out ok.

Oddly enough, though, the realization that worked best for me was the understanding that it’s not about me. Don’t get me wrong – three years after my dad died, I divorced and ultimately found the love of my life and a few scroungy bluebirds of happiness. Oh yeah, I bought a few guitars (and have given a few away) and I’m playing in a band now. I still have my regular day job and I actually make more money, but care less. Weird.

But what I’ve tried to do, not necessarily with consistent success (what, almost 20 self-references in two paragraphs!!), is to focus my thoughts on other people. In other words, Kelnet, what could be said here to help a brother out? And maybe part of the answer is, get the White Falcon, but take one of the guitars you already have and give it to some kid who might really appreciate it. Find a way to sneak in some random acts of kindness.

Attached Files:

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's kind of how I ended up with 14 instruments at one time. Fortunately, I got over that particular brand of nonsense and am back down to 3, well four if you count my wife's Taylor (which I gave her) and well the piano.:D

Travel while you're jazzed up to go. I did some of that when I first retired, and just kind of ran out of gas (pun?) on that deal. Now I do day or two at the most trips, I just kind of lost interest in looking for what's over Pip's mountain.

If you don't have one, go buy yourself a new reliable car, I bought a new CRV for me and Toto to motor around in when I retired, best money I ever spent. Always owned a pickup truck to haul projects around in, decided not to do projects when I retired, the CRV is perfect for hauling music gear and golf clubs. If I wanna work on something, I'll work on my swing.

20. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I lie awake at night thinking of getting a pacemaker, then getting in a terrible accident with excruciating pain, and if i would die, the pain would stop.....but the damn pacemaker keeps bringing me back to life to feel more pain. I think I'll skip the pacemaker.
    Just live your life, man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.