Morro Bay California

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

How it happened I don't know, but it's apparently been ten years since my wife and I played golf at Morro Bay California. Perhaps one of the most picturesque golf courses anywhere, that an average guy can play at a reasonable price. We played golf there two or three times a year for a very long time, maybe twenty years. I've been on several elephant hunt weekend outings with some of my old golfing buddies there too, I just love the place.

Then my wife was stricken with A-Fib, a heart condition, and had a procedure in L.A. After she recovered, she wanted of all things, to go play Morro Bay. We did, and not long after she had another fit of Atrial Fibrillation, requiring another trip to the hospital, and another procedure. After the first procedure she was cured, then we went to play golf, and I always blamed myself for her second attack. She never recovered completely after the second procedure, but can manage with medication. Now that we've been playing golf for nearly a year, we finally played Morro Bay again today.

The weather obliged by being milder here in the valley, under a 100 degrees for the trip over, so as not to be too hard on the Totomobile, and the weather was PERFECT in Morro Bay 76 degrees and sunny. They paired us with a very nice man from Paso Robles who was a single, he was fun to play along with, we hit it off very well all three of us, and had just a wonderful day. A trip downtown, some Fish and Chips on the patio overlooking the bay, a little browsing and buying at the tourist shops, a drive out to the Morro rock, to view both the rock and the ocean surf, and then a very pleasant drive home. Took the T-man for a walk, and it's time to give up the day, and what a grand one it was.

bigbean, Teleguy61, drlucky and 7 others like this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's good stuff, TD, very good stuff.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, my parents get "Paso" weather there in Shandon, but you can jump on CA 46 or CA41 and get over to the Ocean and it is almost always really comfortable. You often go from mid 90s, down to something like 71 degrees, F. Walk around on the wharf in Morro Bay, or out the causeway towards Morro Rock. Cambria, wonderful. Lots of gorgeous public wild lands to hike in except my pup, Daisy, is not permitted there.

My parents normally love Tagnazzini's in Morro Bay but the scallops were not so good on my Dad's birthday. He's never complained about them, in 25 years' of going there. We went to this new place in Paso on the 11th (for the big family get together) and the scallops there were superb. On CA46, east of US101. The enterprise is called Allegretto; the restaurant within is called Cello.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Needles to say, I sometimes miss California.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

You know, like most people I expect, I just breeze through Paso on my way to the coast, but one day, I think I'll take the missus for a day trip to Paso, and just spend the day there. I'll make a note of Allegretto, and Cello. The fellow we played golf with has a place in Paso, and another in Santa Clara. He had a lot of neat gadgets! A little motorized radio controlled cart, a wrist worn gps device, a hand held ranger finder gadget for estimating distance too, new Nike clubs, he had it goin' on for equipment. Really nice guy.

Incidentally, I bought my Jazz Bass, and amp from a fellow out south of Shandon several years ago. That too was a very nice trip. Met a nice man, and his wife in the process. It was quite a ways south, it's been a while, but it seems like I might have gone south until the road teed and then went kind of east from there. That was a nice day all around too. You know, no matter what folks say who don't live here, California is just a great place to live!

6. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Basically from the mountains in southern Monterey County. Our 'go to' for many years has been Morro Bay and Cayucos area.
    We recently purchased a 2nd home in Coarsegold, off of HWY 41, which goes from Yosemite to Morro Bay, no complaints here,
    we see many of those trips in our future.
    I'm not much of a golfer, but the state campgrounds next to golf course in Morro Bay is one of the best kept secrets in that area.
    The Paso Robles Inn has always been on my favorites lists, especially for breakfast.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

image.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Now that right there is evidence of an understanding of both life and golf, I would not heretofore have believed you possessed! :D;)

9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That sounds like one outstanding day and happy story!!!! Hats off the Missus and you. I have been to Morro Bay by boat only, delivering yachts up and down that coast. Sometimes getting around that rock and into the bay isn't that easy. But a wonderful town. Glad your games are still working for fun.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Been there.

Done that.

Good for you TD.

Sun. Green. Blue. Ocean breeze. Wife. That's the life.

Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Thanks a bunch dented! The only time I ever heard a boat engine lug down was about 6 or 7 years ago when we went out of the bay, and had to climb a wall of water to get out on the ocean. The engine on the boat sounded like a diesel truck in the wrong gear trying to go up a hill. Never heard that sound before, I hope not to be anywhere that I hear it again. We all looked around at each, and began to wonder if this was such a good idea! The bait boy, the captain, and my daughter were the only ones who didn't get sick that day! I've been on some trips, even some of those where you go out at 2:00 am and don't get back until dark, I ain't never been on one like that. (and i hope to never again) :eek::)

12. Toto'sDad

My wife and I were Talking about Avila yesterday. My daughter and her husband have played it, and they want to plan a get together on going there together with us. My wife was remarking that she thought she had seen some Avila golf course deals at COSTCO. We're gonna check it out. When they have a deal going it's pretty good. We play Riverlakes here in Bakersfield, and pay the price with no complaints, but when COSTCO runs a deal on Riverlakes it's a lot cheaper than our paying the daily fee. We usually stock up!

Thanks for the post! Some guys are put off by playing with women, but not me. My wife is a decent player and I usually play from tees that separates us enough to make the driving distance work out. She can keep up, not a problem. She's my buddy as well as my sweetie. I used to play with a gal who was a Tennis Pro years ago, and she was a fierce competitor! I made her play from the whites when I could still play from the blues, or she'd kick my rear end. :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  13. Toto'sDad

I should add that I was guilty for years of spending too much time on the golf course with golfing buddies. The competition is something you can get hooked on, and with rare exception is something you won't experience playing with the gals. Having said that, I'm not good enough now to do anything but play fun golf, and fun golf is much more fun with my wife. I'm glad we have spent the last year playing a lot together.

P Thought likes this.
  14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And ... no trip to the Hospital!!!

That's a GOOD thing :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Delivering yachts? Man that job must suck!:D

dented likes this.
  16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You'd get sick of the smell of sunscreen.

dented likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Yes that is a good thing. You know everyone appreciates their wife, but in the case of mine, it's really lopsided, she's without question the better half of this team. She's the aunt who never forgets a birthday card, she's the one who sends a few bucks to the kids in the family who graduate from anything, she's the one who sends anniversary cards to everyone, she's the one to send out Christmas cards to those who might not get one otherwise. I hit pay dirt big time when I bumped into that little auburn haired girl all those years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.