"Morrissey asks Johnny Marr to stop bringing him up in interviews"

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Marr is one of my favorite players. Morrissey was quite a witty writer. Now he's a a sad tool.
It is sad... I saw Morrissey twice solo years ago and he was great, but he's tanking and not taking it well. His last album bombed and the label dropped him.

In contrast, Johnny is soaring. Each solo album gets better and better (although I'm not sold on the latest one yet). Every gig sells out. His autobio was a hit. He scores the latest Bond movie with Billie Ellish, on and on. He is driven from within and not resting on his Guitar-God laurels.

I can't help but think Moz's open letter is simply a cry for attention. Johnny's reply was epic.

BrokenTele

TDPRI Member
One of the best guitar bands of the 20th century.
I love The Smiths, and they’re very influential. But that band wasn’t even the top 10 to debut during the 80’s. None of their own records are really recognized as socially or critically significant compared to those that they influenced, and it’s arguable that Marr and Morrissey are more recognized for their work post-Smiths+their appearances in 00’s/10’s soundtracks+Tumblr.

The Smiths are an aesthetic, not an institution.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
johnny marr is a top lad and brilliant guitarist; morrissey is a hateful bigot.
johnny always gets asked about the smiths getting back together, so he invariably has to mention morrissey. it would like be like the rest of us being told to never mention the word 'pen' or 'screwdriver' again.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Love the Smiths. Love Marr- saw him a few years ago and he was fantastic. Like a lot of Morrissey's solo stuff too. I can't lie- seeing the Smiths together again would be amazing, but it ain't gonna happen. Morrissey is just too insufferable (and insecure??). I've also read/seen a lot of Marr interviews, and it's not his fault- OF COURSE they always ask about Morrissey. And I could be wrong, but he generally seems to be pretty humble and diplomatic in his responses. Morrissey's interviews actually seem to be more bitter- like a jilted ex. Pretty sad, actually.

But Johnny Marr on guitar?? Amazing.