More volume out of Monoprice 5-watt tube amp?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Place in sweet spot in front of speaker!

1648744789017.jpeg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Is your practice space semi-permanent? Get a small PA rig that stays at the space, and mic the amp as if you were out live.

That's all I got that hasn't been said before...
Thanks!
Practice space is a buddy's house ( new band, my own/current band never practices anymore, Ha!) and I can stick in front of my amp as is. Same as at gigs.

But just curious as to whether or not actually amp volume can increase

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The best clean-boost I've ever had was an ElectroHarmonix LPB-1.....the little box that plugged straight into the amp, then you plugged your guitar cable into it. I've also tried the newer pedal version.....but it's not the same or as good. You can sometimes find the original at guitar shows or pawn shops. If you see one.....snap it up! ;)
BTW, if you need more volume, why not just use your Vox PF 15R?
Thanks, getting this particular amp for me was all ( the curiousity of) about getting a tube amp, small enough that I could actually turn ( all the way) up and actually hear real tube overdrive. No OD pedals.

Something I've ( of course ) never gotten out of my SS amps which are fantastic, or the tube amps, which were just too loud to crank - so it has always been amp+ OD pedals for me.

But the sound ( and life ) of plugging a guitar straight into this little guy, really is something different, the sizzle and grind is intoxicating- just small!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi folks!
I am finally using this wonderful little amp in a practice/jam band context where I can finally hear it 'at volume' ( as I think Brits say)
I absolutely love its clean tone at 1/2 volume, and serious crunch and good sustain cranked.
The tone is just what I hoped for. I'm ( right now plugging straight in, no pedals, as I really wanted to hear guitar > cranked, little tube amp.

My dilemma is it is just not loud enough! So I have questions, thanks!

- ideally, I'd like to keep things portable with an 8" speaker ( Celestion Eight 15) and do concede that I would probably need a mic in front of amp at a real gig. But I'd still like to know if more Volume coming from amp, is possible?
- another, more powerful 8"?
- a different 6V6 ( JJ?) and 12AX7 from stock ( Chinese I think)
- a clean Boost pedal?

Lastly, will a 10" speaker ( in cab) give me the best option? I have two new cheap ones that I got for another amp. A Celestion Ten 30, and Jensen Mod 10-35
Neither is as powerful as the 1058 10" I have in my Frontman, but I don't think my 'fake Champ' would work as well ( preserve the great breakup I'm getting) with this more efficient speaker
Also as I stated earlier, would love to work this out with an 8", but understand if not possible!

Thanks for any ideas!

Sometimes I use my champion 600 with a 2x10 cabinet. It is bigger, fuller, louder, cleaner.
The 6" speaker allows the amp to be so small, it's smaller than some heads. If I want a tiny grab and go, it's great, but if I need volume it needs more and bigger speakers, or I use a different amp. I'm kind of starting to think of all my combos as heads with built in speakers.

If you really want to maximize it as a combo, then go with a 10" if there's room. Just get the most efficient, largest speaker you can fit in there.
But if you can find a light 2x10, 2x12, 1x15, or even 1x12 cab, and maybe someone to carry it for you, I think you'll really like it.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
But the sound ( and life ) of plugging a guitar straight into this little guy, really is something different, the sizzle and grind is intoxicating- just small!

I know exactly where you're coming from. Simple, single ended amps can sound so good, it almost hurts. The Champ, which begat many, which in turn begat the Laney Cub 8, which begat the Monoprice, has a history and reputation as a tonal giant-killer, albeit in a compact and bijou package.
The Cub 8/Monoprice was really the start of my journey down the rabbit hole. For space reasons, I build heads, not combos. Well, to be more accurate, I tend toward bare chassis as my woodworking skills and tools are on a par with my ability to transmute lead to gold. I can turn money into transformers though, which is a skill in its own right, right?

A few people have made speaker cabinets from bee-boxes. They'd have the room for the chassis. They're ply, so sturdy and not too heavy, and they're fairly inexpensive too. Or, bee-box cab and cart the amp within, making use of the speaker out?

That lovely sound from a Champ-a-like becomes honeyed sandpaper through a larger speaker and cab, and it is utterly addictive.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I know exactly where you're coming from. Simple, single ended amps can sound so good, it almost hurts. The Champ, which begat many, which in turn begat the Laney Cub 8, which begat the Monoprice, has a history and reputation as a tonal giant-killer, albeit in a compact and bijou package.
The Cub 8/Monoprice was really the start of my journey down the rabbit hole. For space reasons, I build heads, not combos. Well, to be more accurate, I tend toward bare chassis as my woodworking skills and tools are on a par with my ability to transmute lead to gold. I can turn money into transformers though, which is a skill in its own right, right?

A few people have made speaker cabinets from bee-boxes. They'd have the room for the chassis. They're ply, so sturdy and not too heavy, and they're fairly inexpensive too. Or, bee-box cab and cart the amp within, making use of the speaker out?

That lovely sound from a Champ-a-like becomes honeyed sandpaper through a larger speaker and cab, and it is utterly addictive.
Thanks!
My 'common sense voice'

- is now telling me to just leave MP 5W as is ( I do like its look/sound/portability), don't spend any $$.

Just embrace the use of a 10" in a cab ( it is light and portable too), or maybe a 12" in a cab up the road ( but it would have to be a compatible 'good fit' 12" to match w/ just a 5 watt amp...)
So these are good problems to have, think through!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Sometimes I use my champion 600 with a 2x10 cabinet. It is bigger, fuller, louder, cleaner.
The 6" speaker allows the amp to be so small, it's smaller than some heads. If I want a tiny grab and go, it's great, but if I need volume it needs more and bigger speakers, or I use a different amp. I'm kind of starting to think of all my combos as heads with built in speakers.

If you really want to maximize it as a combo, then go with a 10" if there's room. Just get the most efficient, largest speaker you can fit in there.
But if you can find a light 2x10, 2x12, 1x15, or even 1x12 cab, and maybe someone to carry it for you, I think you'll really like it.
Thanks! Good ideas.
A light 1×12" in a cab is something to think about...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think so, at least Champs put out a lot of that. I tried my Champ with different speaker cabs, even a 4 x 10! It didn't change that much. Although, I haven't had that amp. Is it a Class A like the Champ? I have assumed it is .....but dont know...

Ok, before I lose everyone on this thread ( thanks All!) and this goes out to @schmee and anyone:

- for up the road ( will bookmark suggestions), any 'good fit' and affordable 12" speakers for a 5-watt 'Fake Champ?"
( assuming it can't be too powerful/efficient, right?)
Would have a buddy make a cab, or he may have an empty old amp.
Thanks!

doof

Tele-Holic
I modified the negative feedback on mine, now on a switch where I can select stock value, half, or no negative feedback. It sure sounds a little louder to me with no NFB, but with more hiss, as expected.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I modified the negative feedback on mine, now on a switch where I can select stock value, half, or no negative feedback. It sure sounds a little louder to me with no NFB, but with more hiss, as expected.

The new Magnatone Starlite, their $1200, 5-watter ( also with 8") has a negative feedback switch, and you can hear a difference.
THAT amp sounds fantastic ( very cool Tone which steers amp towards Tweed or BF Champ tone) but it wasn't $100, like mine!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
- for up the road ( will bookmark suggestions), any 'good fit' and affordable 12" speakers for a 5-watt 'Fake Champ?"

I am a Jensen fanboi. I have never had a MOD speaker I didn't like, then one day, I decided to try the Jet Falcon 50 https://www.jensentone.com/jet-series/12-falcon-50 with a build loosely based around the Ampmaker WF-55 in a large ply cabinet.
A match made in heaven. Fish and chips. Gin and tonic. They pale in comparison as to the symbiosis the WF-55 and Jet Falcon 50 produced. It also sounds really good my with my other amps ( ~2 Watts to ~15 Watts. I don't do large amps anymore ), but the real magic is with the WF-55. 4~5 Watts of pure, unadulterated, loud, bliss.
Imagine your amp is currently 2d, this is 3d sound.
I reiterate that I'm a fanboi so reduce my witterings by 50% to get to the real meat, and you're there.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Ok, before I lose everyone on this thread ( thanks All!) and this goes out to @schmee and anyone:

( assuming it can't be too powerful/efficient, right?)
Would have a buddy make a cab, or he may have an empty old amp.
Thanks!
Well, with the same parameters (more headroom) I still think you are talking a Weber 12F150, or there are many Emi speaker options in 12" with a high dB like the Red White and Blues, Legend, 1258 etc.
Going to 12" does allow lots of options!
Could you fit a 10" in your amp and not have to build a cab?? There are more options with 10" than an 8" also: Emi 1058, Weber 10F150 or 150T. etc.
Your amp is for 8 ohm speaker?

allesz

Tele-Holic
IF the amp is JUST a little too short in volume, you may solve the problem with a JJ 6v6 and a 10 inch speaker.

I love 8 inch speakers, but keeping up with Just one Is really hard.

JJs solved my problems with a homebrew 15 (maybe 10 or 12...) watt combo: regular 6v6 (I have a couple of Nos sylvania I really love) sounded great, but I missed some headroom at high volume. JJs are cheap, still a decent tube, and it's hard to deny their... (have mercy :)) boldness. Now the amp is good enough for band practice, at half volume, AND the occasional unmiked party almost at full tilt.

Stay on the cheap: swap the 6v6 for a JJ and hook the combo to a 10 inch cab; if It doesn't work I wouldn't waste more time/money/amp.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Well, with the same parameters (more headroom) I still think you are talking a Weber 12F150, or there are many Emi speaker options in 12" with a high dB like the Red White and Blues, Legend, 1258 etc.
Going to 12" does allow lots of options!
Could you fit a 10" in your amp and not have to build a cab?? There are more options with 10" than an 8" also: Emi 1058, Weber 10F150 or 150T. etc.
Your amp is for 8 ohm speaker?
So stupid question?

(Note: I have some of these speakers referenced- I have an Emi 1058 in my Frontman, and my '68 DR had an Emi R,W, &Blues in it when I sold it)

The 10" & 12" speakers you cite are not too efficient for my little amp?

5-watts power is not underpowered? Thanks

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
IF the amp is JUST a little too short in volume, you may solve the problem with a JJ 6v6 and a 10 inch speaker.

I love 8 inch speakers, but keeping up with Just one Is really hard.

JJs solved my problems with a homebrew 15 (maybe 10 or 12...) watt combo: regular 6v6 (I have a couple of Nos sylvania I really love) sounded great, but I missed some headroom at high volume. JJs are cheap, still a decent tube, and it's hard to deny their... (have mercy :)) boldness. Now the amp is good enough for band practice, at half volume, AND the occasional unmiked party almost at full tilt.

Stay on the cheap: swap the 6v6 for a JJ and hook the combo to a 10 inch cab; if It doesn't work I wouldn't waste more time/money/amp.
Thanks!
Common sense has been seeping in as the day goes on.

* it's frustrating, as I live in an apartment now- can't tweak anything ( or hear it!) here.
Like trying a clean Boost, tube swap, 10" cabinet ( which I have)
But can try a few things out soon, at a friends house ( or upcoming gigs)

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
So stupid question?

(Note: I have some of these speakers referenced- I have an Emi 1058 in my Frontman, and my '68 DR had an Emi R,W, &Blues in it when I sold it)

The 10" & 12" speakers you cite are not too efficient for my little amp?

5-watts power is not underpowered? Thanks
Should be fine at the level of one speaker. Efficient is good.

It's a good question though: Is an efficient speaker easier on an amp than a non efficient one?
I've not run into a situation where "too many speakers" effected the amp that I could tell

But I do know that my old JBL stereo speakers suggested on the back they should have 150 watts each for best sound. I have not run into that since.

The next interesting question might be: What is the effect of a high wattage speaker on an amp?

It must take more power to move a large voice coil against a huge magnet... right?
I run a 400 watt EV15" with my Fender Pro (35 watt amp) and it's luscious.
I also ran that speaker for a couple years with my Deluxe Reverb.

But how much would be too much for an amp?

Let's discuss it!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Should be fine at the level of one speaker. Efficient is good.

It's a good question though: Is an efficient speaker easier on an amp than a non efficient one?
I've not run into a situation where "too many speakers" effected the amp that I could tell

But I do know that my old JBL stereo speakers suggested on the back they should have 150 watts each for best sound. I have not run into that since.

The next interesting question might be: What is the effect of a high wattage speaker on an amp?

It must take more power to move a large voice coil against a huge magnet... right?
I run a 400 watt EV15" with my Fender Pro (35 watt amp) and it's luscious.
I also ran that speaker for a couple years with my Deluxe Reverb.

But how much would be too much for an amp?

Let's discuss it!
I guess another way to ask what's on my mind...

(sorry! I just never had the real experience of hearing the 'cranked tube amp' sound, so immediate, until getting this amp)

...is, will I get ( hear) this same amazing breakup I'm now hearing ( Volume and Tone knobs from say 75%-100% up ) with the larger speaker? Or is a big part of what I'm hearing because of a little ( 15-20 watt rated) 8" speaker getting slammed?

Sorry to give you a headache!
Edit: I hope folks pickup on the broader point that this thread goes beyond me- just trying to get something that sounds very good to work in gig/band environment.
Info from everyone is real help to many. Thanks!

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I guess another way to ask what's on my mind...

(sorry! I just never had the real experience of hearing the 'cranked tube amp' sound, so immediate, until getting this amp)

...is, will I get ( hear) this same amazing breakup I'm now hearing ( Volume and Tone knobs from say 75%-100% up ) with the larger speaker? Or is a big part of what I'm hearing because of a little ( 15-20 watt rated) 8" speaker getting slammed?

Sorry to give you a headache!
Edit: I hope folks pickup on the broader point that this thread goes beyond me- just trying to get something that sounds very good to work in gig/band environment.
Info from everyone is real help to many. Thanks!
I think the speaker certainly has to be part of the sound. How much and what part is anyone's guess. Plug your other cab in and see if you lose too much maybe?