More volume out of Monoprice 5-watt tube amp?

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hi folks!
I am finally using this wonderful little amp in a practice/jam band context where I can finally hear it 'at volume' ( as I think Brits say)
I absolutely love its clean tone at 1/2 volume, and serious crunch and good sustain cranked.
The tone is just what I hoped for. I'm ( right now plugging straight in, no pedals, as I really wanted to hear guitar > cranked, little tube amp.

My dilemma is it is just not loud enough! So I have questions, thanks!

- ideally, I'd like to keep things portable with an 8" speaker ( Celestion Super 8) and do concede that I would probably need a mic in front of amp at a real gig. But I'd still like to know if more Volume coming from amp, is possible?
- another, more powerful 8"?
- a different 6V6 ( JJ?) and 12AX7 from stock ( Chinese I think)
- a clean Boost pedal?

Lastly, will a 10" speaker ( in cab) give me the best option? I have two new cheap ones that I got for another amp. A Celestion Ten 30, and Jensen Mod 10-35
Neither is as powerful as the 1058 10" I have in my Frontman, but I don't think my 'fake Champ' would work as well ( preserve the great breakup I'm getting) with this more efficient speaker
Also as I stated earlier, would love to work this out with an 8", but understand if not possible!

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• 20220126_174137.jpg
    20220126_174137.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220105_111045.jpg
    20220105_111045.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Buy a 2nd one. Use both.
That's actually a good ( cheap too) idea!

But I should mention I try to go really light on gear ( bad back/ mobility issues) so that was the attraction of getting this baby amp.
So just carrying one 'box' to a gig is what I'd like to do ( I have 2 small great SS amps, and a Blues Jr.)

I could or may have to just bring an ext. cab. to gigs, which is fine. Just curious about options

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
They're a great amp. Champ-a-like combos are fine through their own speakers, but, and there's always a but, small cabs with 8" speakers are a limitation.
My 10" cabs sport Jensen MOD 10-50, and my Champ-a-likes sound utterly superb through them. The single best 10" cab I ever had, and foolishly let go, sported a MOD 10-35. It fair sang.
Try it through two 10" cabs or a 2x10" for heaven.
Can you mantle a cabinet to convert it to an oversize 1x10" combo?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hi folks!
I am finally using this wonderful little amp in a practice/jam band context where I can finally hear it 'at volume' ( as I think Brits say)
I absolutely love its clean tone at 1/2 volume, and serious crunch and good sustain cranked.
The tone is just what I hoped for. I'm ( right now plugging straight in, no pedals, as I really wanted to hear guitar > cranked, little tube amp.

- ideally, I'd like to keep things portable with an 8" speaker ( Celestion Eight 15) and do concede that I would probably need a mic in front of amp at a real gig. But I'd still like to know if more Volume coming from amp, is possible?
- a clean Boost pedal?

Lastly, will a 10" speaker ( in cab) give me the best option? I have two new cheap ones that I got for another amp. A Celestion Ten 30, and Jensen Mod 10-35
Neither is as powerful as the 1058 10" I have in my Frontman, but I don't think my 'fake Champ' would work as well ( preserve the great breakup I'm getting) with this more efficient speaker
Also as I stated earlier, would love to work this out with an 8", but understand if not possible!

Thanks for any ideas!
Weber makes a heavy duty, and loud little 8F150. Many have used it in Champs etc. Great tone and more volume. Other than speaker change, I dont know that there is much you can do. It was always my problem with 6 watt Champs. Good tone at low volume but can't use it with most drummers.
I bought a single 6L6 based Champ 12 specifically because of that.

You could try one of the single end Multi Tap Output Trannie's out there. They seem to be rated at 12-14 watts and may get you more oomph along with a good, loud speaker. They are like $22 on Ebay or elsewhere.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They're a great amp. Champ-a-like combos are fine through their own speakers, but, and there's always a but, small cabs with 8" speakers are a limitation.
My 10" cabs sport Jensen MOD 10-50, and my Champ-a-likes sound utterly superb through them. The single best 10" cab I ever had, and foolishly let go, sported a MOD 10-35. It fair sang.
Try it through two 10" cabs or a 2x10" for heaven.
Can you mantle a cabinet to convert it to an oversize 1x10" combo?
My Jensen Mod 10-35 is actually in the cab of my (no amp) Cambridge 15 ( exact cab as my Pathfinder amp). A buddy of mine cut the baffle so a 10" would fit.
Don't think it would fit (just wrong shape), but it would be cool to fit Monoprice chassis into that cab.
* keep things to just one ' box'
Plus, I love the look and build of the amp as is...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Weber makes a heavy duty, and loud little 8F150. Many have used it in Champs etc. Great tone and more volume. Other than speaker change, I dont know that there is much you can do. It was always my problem with 6 watt Champs. Good tone at low volume but can't use it with most drummers.
I bought a single 6L6 based Champ 12 specifically because of that.

You could try one of the single end Multi Tap Output Trannie's out there. They seem to be rated at 12-14 watts and may get you more oomph along with a good, loud speaker. They are like $22 on Ebay or elsewhere.
Thanks! Will (would) the Weber speaker still 'transmit' the same great breakup I'm now getting?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Thanks! Will (would) the Weber speaker still 'transmit' the same great breakup I'm now getting?
I think so, at least Champs put out a lot of that. I tried my Champ with different speaker cabs, even a 4 x 10! It didn't change that much. Although, I haven't had that amp. Is it a Class A like the Champ? I have assumed it is .....but dont know...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think so, at least Champs put out a lot of that. I tried my Champ with different speaker cabs, even a 4 x 10! It didn't change that much. Although, I haven't had that amp. Is it a Class A like the Champ? I have assumed it is .....but dont know...

Thanks, I did just checkout Weber speaker- it's serious! 30oz. magnet, on an 8"!
Could turn my little amp into a 'giant killer'!

( I used the original, Jensen- named Webers C-12N's in a '67 Pro Reverb and later, a '68 DR - both amps, long gone...needed $$!!)
Now, all small.
Will sleep on it!

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Why do you think the 1058 will not preserve the breakup? I am assuming you feel this way as the speaker is louder. You want louder, right? At lower levels like at home you may find it does not allow you to get the breakup without being loud.

Any woodworking skills around? I do not know what the current cab is constructed of but I know I can select some light pine from Home Depot that could offset some of the weight of a 10" that has some weight to the magnet structure. Or maybe a neo.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Thanks, I did just checkout Weber speaker- it's serious! 30oz. magnet, on an 8"!
Could turn my little amp into a 'giant killer'!

( I used the original, Jensen- named Webers C-12N's in a '67 Pro Reverb and later, a '68 DR - both amps, long gone...needed $$!!)
Now, all small.
Will sleep on it!
Yeah, I put a 10F150 in my friends Princeton... like a whole new amp!
The 8F150's come up on Reverb or Ebay sometimes. Is your amp 4 ohm like Champs or 8 ohm?
The Emi 1058 is a cheaper version not too far off from the Weber 10F150. Do they make a 8" version I wonder?

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
MXR Micro Amp might be worth a try (should be standard kit for most guitarists)

I thought of this too!

47 years playing guitar ( tons of OD/dirt pedals come and gone) and NEVER tried the Micro Amp- I know it's a 'secret weapon' for many!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I put a 10F150 in my friends Princeton... like a whole new amp!
The 8F150's come up on Reverb or Ebay sometimes. Is your amp 4 ohm like Champs or 8 ohm?
The Emi 1058 is a cheaper version not too far off from the Weber 10F150. Do they make a 8" version I wonder?
Thanks, will see what Emi has too!

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
Not to muddy the waters, but I’ve tried different speakers with my Champ 600 and sure, things get louder. Arguably better.

I ended up putting the stock speaker back in just to bring the volume down.

I mean it’s a practice amp. And I actually use it more with the stock speaker. Sounds good with a clean boost like the Blue Sky.

I like the amp at low volume.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Is your practice space semi-permanent? Get a small PA rig that stays at the space, and mic the amp as if you were out live.

That's all I got that hasn't been said before...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hi folks!

- ideally, I'd like to keep things portable with an 8" speaker ( Celestion Eight 15) and do concede that I would probably need a mic in front of amp at a real gig. But I'd still like to know if more Volume coming from amp, is possible?
- a clean Boost pedal?

Thanks for any ideas!
The best clean-boost I've ever had was an ElectroHarmonix LPB-1.....the little box that plugged straight into the amp, then you plugged your guitar cable into it. I've also tried the newer pedal version.....but it's not the same or as good. You can sometimes find the original at guitar shows or pawn shops. If you see one.....snap it up! ;)
BTW, if you need more volume, why not just use your Vox PF 15R?