More UV please

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Adjusting the neck pup on my blonde ash 2007 Hwy1 Texas and remembered I wanted to ask about this a while ago. The finish on these guitars was intentionally laid thin to facilitate the worn look, and I'm glad about that because the original peachy orange color just don't cut it. I bought this via eBay and was actually taken very unhappy with the color, but stuck with it.

I'd actually like to accelerate the aging process even more and was thinking an increase in UV light would do it. I'm actually thinking of just leaving it out in the sun (if we ever see the sun again here in central Europe), but don't know if that could prove too intense. What about a UV light?

Is this something that's done our am I an idiot?

IMG_20210527_163252.jpg

Last edited:

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Others more knowledgeable than me will weigh in, but I have heard of guys on the forum leaving their guitars out in the sun to accelerate the aging of a finish. So it has been done. See what the others have to say.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Others more knowledgeable than me will weigh in, but I have heard of guys on the forum leaving their guitars out in the sun to accelerate the aging of a finish. So it has been done. See what the others have to say.

With the sun I'm kind of worried it could get too hot and crack the finish or warp the wood or something (no idea if it's a real risk). Im wondering if ppl might actually use UV lamps in a controlled environment to to do this. And if the effect the same as natural aging ...

So many questions, but I know I'm gonna lay the thing out in the sun when summer finally arrives. So maybe next year :lol:

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
As long as you don't have a strong UV blocker on your windows, you obviously can get some effect by keeping it in a sunny (but not hot) spot. I don't think a black light would cause any serious harm, but I would at least tread carefully at first to make sure the finish wasn't getting brittle. But I would assume others have actually tried this alchemy and will be able to walk you through it, or steer you away.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
UV is a powerful spectrum of light.

It will break down and fade most colors,

It definitely has an aging effect on most carbon based things including people.

There has been quite a bit of experimentation done by violin makers in particular regarding the aging of stringed instruments.

We've discussed this topic before on this forum and I'm sure there is more info you could find with a search, including some links I posted for UV lighting equipment :).

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Are you sure it was that pink originally? I've not seen one that pink. Your exposed coloring looks more normal... Maybe the pickguard outgassing effected the color under the pickguard...?

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Are you sure it was that pink originally? I've not seen one that pink. Your exposed coloring looks more normal... Maybe the pickguard outgassing effected the color under the pickguard...?

no, that was the color. I think the stark contrast of the before/after exagerates it a bit maybe.